Phone Enters Airplane Mode At Random!!!Support

1. salpiche

salpiche Well-Known Member

I would like to know if anyone has the GPS enabled on the phones? I have noticed that every time someone comes to the store where I work with the air plane mode issue their phones have the GPS feature on. I tested the demo one and with it off it has not gone to air plane mode also does it happens whether you have the phone on your pocket or not?

Thanks
  2. sweetredhead

sweetredhead Member

I had gps mode on once when it happened but I tried it without it on and it did again. My second phone I've had almost 2 weeks and have with gps on and no problems so far. I don't normally put my phone in my pocket but have done it from time to time.
  3. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

one of the guys posted his logfile on sprint... not that up to date on log files and such; but maybe someone else can provide input...
  4. methoderik

methoderik Well-Known Member

This happened to me tomight. Really kind of hacked off. Listening to Pandora and using Sprint nav to get me and my son to the monster truck rally. All of a sudden boom, Pandora quits and gps stops. It was really bad timing, total ghetto part of town.

What sucks is the phone said it was in airplane mode, but yhe settings said it was not. Had to reboot to get it working. On the way home everything worked great.
  5. sweetredhead

sweetredhead Member

It's back. 2nd phone was good for 2 weeks and today it randomly went into airplane mode. Ikm coming up on 30 days and getting nervous about keeping the moment. Samsung should be doing something to fix a bug this serious.
  6. indiana jones

indiana jones Well-Known Member

this has happened 3 times :( theyve all happened when the phone is close to turning off from having no battery and ive had the wifi on. i dont want to exchange the phone since it seems that isnt gonna solve the problem. let me know if you guys experienced the same settings to issue.
  7. seven30

seven30 Member

It happened to my replacement as well. Needless to say, I'm typing this from my Hero and couldn't be happier. The airplane mode and GPS issues ruined the Moment for me.
  8. chibucks

hasn't happened to me yet, but i haven't used GPS or any of the location programs... i do use wireless & bluetooth.
  9. MrGadget256

MrGadget256 Well-Known Member

Had it happen to me this morning after charging all night, Slacker was running (separate issue with Slacker just stopping when the screen times out). Wondered what was up when I picked up the phone before heading out, airplane mode was off, but x in my notification bar. I cycled airplane mode with no change. So I powered down and back up and everything was fine. I do have the Wifi widget (but wifi was off). Took me all of 3 minutes to correct, but I don't like the implications of not being able to make a call.

Cellfinder app shows Sprint tower strength 76-91 in my house, tricorder app says 86. PS - The Tricorder app is Cool!:D
  10. wvdoc

wvdoc Member

LatinMaxima, What do you have to say now to all the people having this same issue??
  11. indiana jones

indiana jones Well-Known Member

heres my list of apps:

google maps
    google sky
    handcent
    cardiotrainer
    locale

i have noticed it happened when i barely got any bars. 1 time driving and 2 times inside a home.

removed wifi and gps widget
  12. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try to peeve the Mods/Guides, he was only trying to help. 10-15 people having this issue, on this forum, does not count as an alrming statistic. Look at the http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/13783-possible-battery-quirk.htmlthread thread for that (though that is now known to be a non-issue)

However, it does seem odd, to me, that this has happened twice to the same people, while the MAJORITY (including myself) have never had the problem. I wish I could see everything that was done, keystrokes/ combinations of, Everything installed..etc. As it maybe something within the programming/software, that these individuals are triggering or installing.

I am just stating the obvious, if this were a major issue, that is a widespread defect/concern, it would be getting the same kind of attention that the http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/13783-possible-battery-quirk.html is.
  13. chibucks

those who are having the problem, install "log collector" (free) onto your phones and then after the problem happens, run log collector. maybe if we get a large enough sample size, we could figure out what's causing this.
  14. llRELLll

llRELLll Member

I'm having the same problem, If I hold the end key to select options the "airplane mode" is off. If I got to phone settings the "airplane mode" is off and I still cant make calls or receive them, or any txt msg as well. When I got to make a call it says please turn off airplane mode. And the only two places I know of that gives the option of turning it on/off they both say that it is off.

I have been having to power cylce to get it to work again, about 40sec after fully powering up I start to get like 30 voice mails and txt msg all at once that I missed during this "airplane mode" that was active I guess(even though the phone said it was off)

I just did a hard reset yesterday and so far so good. If it continues I'll go have them give me a new phone. If not Im trading this in for the hero.

I had a feeling something like this would happen, I hate buying the first generation of any electronic device. All these damn bugs that need to be fixed.

My only other complaint is that some apps randomly crash and are forced to stop.
  15. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

If you are considering going to the Hero, I would recommend either waiting for a solution or at least until someone figures out why this is happening. My experience with Hero, it was much worse about random crashes and force closes, amongst other more serious problems. I might suggest going over to the Hero forum and looking and their sticky list, you'll see what I am refering to.

Oh and Hero is also, still, a first generation device for that model.
  16. Stesti

Stesti New Member

I've been having this problem for about a week, probably shortly after I installed the WiFi toggle widget. Googling the problem brought up this thread, and, after uninstalling the widget, I have a signal once again. :)

No other problems with the Moment. It's a great phone.
  17. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Well it seems there is a possible solution, as Stesti has brought up, uninstall WiFi toggle widget.

Can anyone else having this problem please try this out and report back on your findings please?

*edit* Ahh nevermind... I see it happens to others without the widget..hmmm..
  18. Stesti

Stesti New Member

More specifically, it was the WiFi OnOff Free widget that caused my problem. It wouldn't surprise me if other widgets or apps were the cause of similar problems.
  19. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

This is what I believe as well.
  20. llRELLll

llRELLll Member

Maybe its the wifi itself built into the phone, I had the phone for about 5 days.. no complaints. Then I decided to connect to my homes wifi. phone was working fine for a few days. Then all of the sudden the airplane mode came about while my wifi was on.

Only thing I had downloaded was

-Solitare
    -shopsavy
    -Had google voice at one point but removed it
    -Flixter
  21. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Can anyone else comment on this? I have never turned on my WiFi... what about all those who are having the airplane mode problem? Have you turned on WiFi, if so was it just before or within a few days of the problem occuring?
  22. sweetredhead

sweetredhead Member

With this 2nd phone I have never turned on the wifi. Kind of nervous adding any apps after my last one. I still had the dang airplane mode happen. I removed all widgets that I have the power to remove not the ones that came with the phone. I only had it happen on Sunday and a reboot of the phone worked not like the last phone where I had to take out the battery. As far as keystrokes go...pretty hard when this happens when the screen is locked and in your purse in a case you pull it out and it shows an x on the bars. In other words it's nothing I am touching or doing to trigger it.
  23. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Maybe it is just getting triggered by something pressing the power button, then something else hitting the airplane mode on-screen or with optical pad?

I know that if you bring up the power button menu once (called phone options) , it will stay on unless you hit the back button to bring up the unlock screen. Even if you hit the button again to kill the screen the next time you hit the end/power button that menu always pops back up.

With this menu always on screen the chances of something else enabling airplane mode, are much higher. Even if it is not enabled vis touchscreen, it can be enabled via the optical pad.

Is it possible that enabling airplane mode just once (even if the user was unaware that it happened), causes the phone to always go back into airplane mode due to a bug/glitch?
  24. llRELLll

llRELLll Member

I did turn on airplane mode once purposely, and then turned it back off right after before I started having the problem.
  25. jtruland

jtruland Member

I've been having this problem intermitently for the past week or so. Sometimes multiple times in a day, always fixed by rebooting from the phone options menu. Mine always shows Airplane Mode ON on the phone options menu, however, unlike real airplane mode, my Bluetooth radio stays on. If I activate airplane mode from the phone options menu myself it works fine (including turning off the bluetooth radio and reconnecting when turned off.)

Like others have said earlier, it's tough to track down what may be going on to cause it because it's usually in the case. I don't notice until I look or sometime later realize that I haven't had any email notifications.