• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Enters Airplane Mode At Random!!!

Have the same problem repeatedly, this occurred while charging, downloading program updates (wifi was turned off, btw). Maybe I'll try turning USB debugging off. Here's where the error occurred in the log:

Here's what the same thread was doing prior to the phone's modem shutdown.
02-22 10:52:11.540 I/dalvikvm(5828) : Debugger thread not active, ignoring DDM send (t=0x41504e4d l=38)
02-22 10:52:11.595 I/dalvikvm(5828) : Debugger thread not active, ignoring DDM send (t=0x41504e4d l=44)
02-22 10:52:13.315 D/SettingsWifiEnabler(5828) : Received wifi state changed from Disabling to Disabled
02-22 10:52:13.315 E/AirPlaneMode(5828) : wifiState is 1
02-22 10:52:13.315 E/AirPlaneMode(5828) : BT State is -1000
02-22 10:52:13.315 E/AirPlaneMode(5828) : Receiver::::Wifi Disabled mWifiCurrentState = false
02-22 10:52:13.540 E/AirPlaneMode(5828) : handleMessage::::EVENT_SERVICE_STATE_CHANGED

Upvote 0
Crazy fun this is...

Ok just my two cents on this since I 'thought' I had a problem with this, but after speaking to a fellow tweeter online, it's a totally separate issue for me...

First, had the random "Airplane Mode" thing with all connections shutting down on the second day of having my Moment. Wife's was fine, so I figured it might be a glitch. Read up on widgets and issues and such and realized that many of the widgets I had installed were only for 1.6 and up. Oooops!

The first thing to look at is that is your phone really in "Airplane Mode" or do you have the 'No Network' indicator of an "X" above the bars. The no network indicator happens "Very often" according to the tech for various reasons and often has the same message removing your phone from airplane mode to make a call.

Usually the Moment suffers from this for one of two reasons: inside buildings (concrete) or in fair-poor coverage areas on the Sprint map. The fix for this will be increasing the radio's strength (which will cause more drain on the battery) but they did not want to implement this is CL14 due to the fact that battery life was so poor to start with. It will be coming in the next MR when they have a few other bugs worked out that cause excessive drain.

The second was an "overload" of data that causes the phone to drop the network connection. Streaming music from Pandora, Videos from Qik, etc... are ways to overload the phone. Sure, the device will do it, but there may be side-effects from it.

Now, if your phone is actually switching to 'Airplane Mode' where the little plane appears above the bars, not an "x", they recommend a better locking program as an easy fix for you as the usual cause is the phone unlocks, then gets pushed into airplane mode by your pocket.

Again,these were just a few tips that the tech gave me on this topic, take them for what they are worth. I trust that the underpowered radio issue will get a patch in 2.1 and hopefully things will hold together fine until then with minimal widget use.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0
Good information there. I think what most of us see is the x, not the airplane. The kicker, though, is that when you hold the power button, it says, "Airplane mode is ON." Hence the "Airplane mode bug."

So maybe I live in a place with a weak signal, but I've only ever seen this happen at home, and most often, it happens overnight while the phone is just sitting on my side table. I don't know that it would be doing heavy data transfer at that time unless someone sent me a huge email or something.

Upvote 0
I purchased this phone 2 days ago and since returned it for full refund. It would enter airplane mode and the only way to get out of the mode was to remove battery and then restart. That always didn't work either. This was unacceptable for 200 dollars. The battery was also a big ??? It seemed that the battery life was non-existant. I give this phone an E on a grading scale. "E" for effort. Will wait for next Sprint Android phone. That might be a while.:mad:

I also had that same problem. So I took it into the sprint store & they rebooted it or something & it worked fine after that. However I had to swap my phone once when I first got it because I was having one too many problems with it. But the moment i have now seems to work fine.

Upvote 0
I used to have this problem. It happened when I was using a task killer and I would kill everything. This is what is in my ignore list and when I kill tasks I nolonger get airplane mode.

Ignore List:
-Voice Control
-Voicemail
-com.samsung.internal
I only had this problem infrequently to begin with, but it has definitely not happened since I removed the Voice Control and voicemail programs from my Moment.

I also never use a task killer.

Upvote 0
I got my Moment on 11/22. Within the first two weeks, I experienced "Airplane Mode" several times. After reading here, I turned off wifi and left it off, because, really, 3G is fast enough for what I'm doing. I never had another instance of the problem. Yesterday, I went to turn on bluetooth, but I was too hasty and accidentally clicked the wifi box instead. I turned it back off immediately and turned on bluetooth. Last night, as the phone sat charging, it once again slipped into "Airplane Mode" and had to be restarted this morning.

It can't be coincidence. Wifi has to, in some way, be contributing to this problem.

It generally happens to me if I leave wifi running for an extended time I assumed this was well known and never searched for it, just turned wifi off when done and don't get the problem, x on bars no airplane but says its in airplane mode.

Upvote 0
It generally happens to me if I leave wifi running for an extended time I assumed this was well known and never searched for it, just turned wifi off when done and don't get the problem, x on bars no airplane but says its in airplane mode.

I'm still doubtful that it has anything at all to do with wifi
Just today I was trying to make a call and the dialer froze up, I force closed the dialer and then *pop* what was 4 bars of signal became zero with an 'x'. The wifi was still very connected and allowing me to use data services.
This glitch only affects the CDMA radio.

The best theory i've heard came earlier suggesting that android 1.5 was made for GSM and then hacked onto CDMA. So the vanilla android (not the HTC modified OS on the Hero) has a nasty bug that crashes the radio.
It would be interesting if anyone had a rooted phone to see if putting a different version of android on fixed the problem.

Upvote 0
OK, chalk me up as another Moment owner having this issue. I have had the phone for one week and it has happened twice to me. A normal restart brings it working again. Have GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth all enabled. My phone came with CL14. Haven't yet tried to turn off roaming. Don't use any WiFi-controlling widgets as far as I know. I shut the phone down every night when going to bed and turn it on early in the morning.

I read this entire thread this morning. I see a lot of people hoping Android 2.x fixes the issue. I don't have time to go searching other threads today, so can someone tell me if anyone knows WHEN we will be getting Android 2.x for the Moment?

Thanks,
Michael

Upvote 0
OK, chalk me up as another Moment owner having this issue. I have had the phone for one week and it has happened twice to me. A normal restart brings it working again. Have GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth all enabled. My phone came with CL14. Haven't yet tried to turn off roaming. Don't use any WiFi-controlling widgets as far as I know. I shut the phone down every night when going to bed and turn it on early in the morning.

I read this entire thread this morning. I see a lot of people hoping Android 2.x fixes the issue. I don't have time to go searching other threads today, so can someone tell me if anyone knows WHEN we will be getting Android 2.x for the Moment?

Thanks,
Michael

Has Samsung even acknowledged the problem? I believe 2.1 will be out in a couple of weeks. I would return it and wait for the Supersonic or Nexus One. They are right around the corner.

Upvote 0
Has Samsung even acknowledged the problem? I believe 2.1 will be out in a couple of weeks. I would return it and wait for the Supersonic or Nexus One. They are right around the corner.

Hopefully you are right about 2.1 and hopefully this does fix the problem. I'm not waiting for another phone. I LOVE this Moment and will wait it out for a solution. Also, like I said, I haven't yet disabled roaming or tried other avoidance methods. And having a physical keyboard is a must, so those phones are not an option (unless I am wrong about them not having a keyboard).

Upvote 0
I'm still doubtful that it has anything at all to do with wifi
Just today I was trying to make a call and the dialer froze up, I force closed the dialer and then *pop* what was 4 bars of signal became zero with an 'x'. The wifi was still very connected and allowing me to use data services.
This glitch only affects the CDMA radio.

The best theory i've heard came earlier suggesting that android 1.5 was made for GSM and then hacked onto CDMA. So the vanilla android (not the HTC modified OS on the Hero) has a nasty bug that crashes the radio.
It would be interesting if anyone had a rooted phone to see if putting a different version of android on fixed the problem.

I had my phone for 2 months with no trouble. Two days ago I turned on the wifi. Since then it has gone into airplane mode 4 or 5 times for no reason. Last night it did it on the charger.

Turning on the wifi is the only change I have made from perfect function to airplane shenanigans.

Also, my wife has the same phone, has never turned on wifi, and has never gone into airplane mode.

Upvote 0
Sending out a new phone today... I'm leaving it completely stock with no additional apps to see if the issue remains on the new device. The Tech Support said that 2.1 would be available next month... proof that no one knows anything about this stuff...Unfortunately all I have is a G5 MAC machine and cannot root my device... kinda bummed about that...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones