• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Enters Airplane Mode At Random!!!

I connect to my wifi a lot mostly because the only time I'm using my phone I'm at home. This started about the 2nd week of owning my moment. It is annoying but I'm not worried about it. I don't see how it is hardware when the phone works fine, if it was hardware than it wouldn't work at all. I'm just waiting till samsung comes out with an update that will address the issue. So I am and I wish others will do the same. Let samsung know! They can fix the problem because they are the ones who made the problem. Tell them whats going on in great detail or as best as you can. Tell them you demand they fix it right away. I have already recommended this phone to a lot of people and friends and now I'm taking it back. Don't get me wrong it's an amazing phone i love it. But if it's not going to work because samsung rushed it than its not worth new people falling in his mess. If it cannot be fixed via update than samsung should fix it and recall the phones and replace them free. It could be costing people money because they cannot make calls or receive important calls. So we all need to come together show samsung this forum and others and tell them whats going on. It is something that NEEDS to be fixed ASAP.

Upvote 0
First week phone buzzed along...then I installed 2 apps. Handcent and dolphin. Love them both. But started to notice airplane mode locked on randomly and freezing during calls. My Spidey sense was screaming it was one of the apps. So after 2 weeks uninstalled handcent. No more issues. Phone buzzes like new.
Currently using smspopup to replace handcent, only bummer is can't figure out how to message to a group. Oh well. Gonna give chomp a try. This phone is really great...doesn't need tons of apps...just a little practice.
Hope this helps somebody....if it is indeed the culprit, seems like everyone has this app in this thread.

Upvote 0
First week phone buzzed along...then I installed 2 apps. Handcent and dolphin. Love them both. But started to notice airplane mode locked on randomly and freezing during calls. My Spidey sense was screaming it was one of the apps. So after 2 weeks uninstalled handcent. No more issues. Phone buzzes like new.
Currently using smspopup to replace handcent, only bummer is can't figure out how to message to a group. Oh well. Gonna give chomp a try. This phone is really great...doesn't need tons of apps...just a little practice.
Hope this helps somebody....if it is indeed the culprit, seems like everyone has this app in this thread.

I have had a similar experience, but I do not use Handcent. In my case the problem seems to be connected to my use of a podcast catcher.

I was noticing that my phone would go into so-called airplane mode fairly often -- at least every other day. And it would happen most frequently overnight. Eventually it occurred to me that the only thing going on at night, at least on a regular basis, was that my podcast application was downloading large audio files. In order to save battery, the podcatcher was set to download only when on AC power -- and the effect of this, most days, was that most downloads would occur overnight, while my phone was plugged in to recharge. Just about every other day, I would wake up to find my phone had gone into airplane mode overnight. When I described this problem to Sprint support, they suggested deleting the podcatcher and I decided to give that a try. Over the next two weeks, I experienced airplane mode only once. Last Friday evening, I reinstalled the podcatcher program. Over the next three days, airplane mode reoccurred three times -- two of those times being overnight.

I really do not think the problem is with the podcatcher itself, which is why I am reluctant to name the program here. Instead, I think the problem is tied to large data transmissions such as podcast downloads. Somehow they are screwing up the CDMA radio and causing it to lock up.

Some have suggested that wifi may be a part of the problem. I can't rule that out, but the lockups for me have occurred both with wifi on and with wifi off.

I plan to delete the podcatcher program today. Just for the hell of it, I intend to install an alternative podcatcher program (probably Google Listen) just for purposes of comparison.

Upvote 0
FWIW, my Eris (Verizon) has a similar problem. To conserve battery overnight, I use airplane mode. However sometimes when I shut off airline mode in the morning the "x" remains until I reboot. This happened once a few months ago, and several times recently.

I think it is GPS related on the Eris because until recently I've always turned GPS off unless I need the map. But recently I installed Cardio Trainer that uses GPS to track my workout. Since I'm not accustomed to this app, I keep forgetting to turn off GPS when I'm through with it.

So now I'll resolve not to use airplane mode unless I'm sure GPS is off (if that doesn't solve my problem I'll go after Wi-Fi and the Auto/Home network setting).

At least I haven't seen the phone go into airplane mode on its own.

Upvote 0
Bought the phone on Saturday 4/17/10 @ 8:49 PM..
The sales rep pulled them out the box, charged them in the store.. loaded my contacts and stuff from other phone. Got home around 9:45pm..by 10:30pm the phone went into airplane mode. I HADN'T MADE ONE PHONE CALL YET !!! I was just trying to figure out how the damn thing worked..
So after taking 20min to calm down .. i picked the phone back up.. shut it off and rebooted & airplane mode was gone. I made sure the airplane mode was 'OFF' and monitored the phone for about an hour. In the mean time i download a Stopwatch app, a Bible app, and Pandora Radio app.. 20min later it went into Airplane mode. So, i turned on Wi-Fi (to test apps).. and i noticed the Airplane Mode kept going on & off.. So i made sure all apps where closed and shutdown wi-fi and reboted phone.

NOW, i noticed when we got home that our signal strenght was really, really low. So not sure if that had anything to do with it.

** DAY 2 **
Sunday, we leave for church, and the phone had been on the charger all night, turned off.. I turned on the phone while leaving and it was fine for about 2 hourse and then it went into airplane mode, which was okay with that since i was @ church. But, i didn't place it in airplane mode. So i went and made sure wi-fi was off, and no airplane mode for the rest of the day on Sunday

** Today ** I woke up this morning and the phone was in Airplane mode while it was on the charger all night with the power 'ON' and wifi 'ON'..so i shut down wi-fi, reboot phone.. and it's been fine so far today. Then in researching the issue, i came across this thread..i turned 'OFF' GPS only, as mentioned in another post, and i will see how that works, and will keep everyone posted on the different adjustments.

If i can't get this to act right over the next week, i'm going back to the store, and being placed on waiting list for the new HTC EVO.

Upvote 0
Got the Moment in Late January. Already had CL14, so not huge battery issues. Phone worked really, really well. However, in the last month....major concerns.

1) All Calls went right to voicemail. Even tried calling myself from other phones. Heck, my sprint rep (who's great) couldn't figure it out. It has since been better.

2) Now, I have suddenly caught the airplane bug. Probably 3-4 times daily. Never have WiFi on! Haven't downloaded any new apps since early March. Only have downloaded updates.

This is getting really OLD really FAST! I have been bragging the phone up so much...that one of my bosses who is very important on a National Level bought the phone. Now I am worried the phone has too many issues.

I hope 2.1 does something to help.

Upvote 0
A week or so ago I had my phone go into airplane mode randomly twice in a day. All of a sudden the bar indicator would turn into the "no signal" icon and when I held the power button, I saw that airplane mode had been enabled. Luckily for me, I was able to disable it both times, and it hasn't happened since then.

For me, the bigger issue has been the phone's data connection ceasing to function, normally when I am using it a fair amount. I can always tell because data things stop working and under the EV icon, only the up arrow lights up, and the down arrow won't (i.e. it's trying to send data but it's not receiving any). This can be fixed by either just waiting and not using the phone or by powering off and back on. Oh, and if I try to make a call while it's doing that, it won't work and it prevents the phone from even turning off, requiring me to pull the battery.

This phone has some serious CDMA issues and I wish I had known about them earlier, when I could have returned it for something else (a Hero perhaps?). I really hope 2.1 fixes them. Otherwise, I don't know... find someone who wants to swap phones? I only got it in February so I have almost a year left before I qualify for any upgrade at all.

Upvote 0
YMTS "that leaked, not-quite-released and not-ready-for-prime-time" beta 2.1 code some developers are playing around with.

We have no idea what radio code will be in the released version, so to say "2.1" here doesn't really mean anything.

You can dismiss the 2.1 leak as beta code all you like. The fact of the matter is that between 1.5 and 2.1 Samsung/Sprint did NOT update the RIL driver for the CDMA chip. There is a chance that they will on the official release but signs are currently pointing towards no. DC23, DD03, and DD10 all had the RIL driver from 1.5 and those were released to the internal test groups.

Upvote 0
You can dismiss the 2.1 leak as beta code all you like.
It's not released, so by its very definition it is beta.

The fact of the matter is that between 1.5 and 2.1 Samsung/Sprint did NOT update the RIL driver for the CDMA chip.
The RIL has far, far less to do with CDMA lockups than buggy radio firmware- the actual code that goes onto the CDMA radio- ever would. No change to the RIL will help you if the CDMA radio firmware sh8ts the bed.

I don't know why folks keep blaming the RIL for this issue anyway. Changes to the interface layer might help alleviate recovery when things to wrong, but the fact that only restarts fix this issue imply that that's not where the issue is.

Upvote 0
Bought the phone on Saturday 4/17/10 @ 8:49 PM..
The sales rep pulled them out the box, charged them in the store.. loaded my contacts and stuff from other phone. Got home around 9:45pm..by 10:30pm the phone went into airplane mode. I HADN'T MADE ONE PHONE CALL YET !!! I was just trying to figure out how the damn thing worked..
So after taking 20min to calm down .. i picked the phone back up.. shut it off and rebooted & airplane mode was gone. I made sure the airplane mode was 'OFF' and monitored the phone for about an hour. In the mean time i download a Stopwatch app, a Bible app, and Pandora Radio app.. 20min later it went into Airplane mode. So, i turned on Wi-Fi (to test apps).. and i noticed the Airplane Mode kept going on & off.. So i made sure all apps where closed and shutdown wi-fi and reboted phone.

NOW, i noticed when we got home that our signal strenght was really, really low. So not sure if that had anything to do with it.

** DAY 2 **
Sunday, we leave for church, and the phone had been on the charger all night, turned off.. I turned on the phone while leaving and it was fine for about 2 hourse and then it went into airplane mode, which was okay with that since i was @ church. But, i didn't place it in airplane mode. So i went and made sure wi-fi was off, and no airplane mode for the rest of the day on Sunday

** Today ** I woke up this morning and the phone was in Airplane mode while it was on the charger all night with the power 'ON' and wifi 'ON'..so i shut down wi-fi, reboot phone.. and it's been fine so far today. Then in researching the issue, i came across this thread..i turned 'OFF' GPS only, as mentioned in another post, and i will see how that works, and will keep everyone posted on the different adjustments.

If i can't get this to act right over the next week, i'm going back to the store, and being placed on waiting list for the new HTC EVO.

So since my last post 4/19/2010, i had no probelsm with airplane mode. Ever since i turned off GPS and Active Sync and other steps listed in this thread. Then today 5/4/10 after taking a 53 second video on the phone and e-mailing it from my phone. Then turning on Pandora about 2 minutes later, it went into airplane mode, twice. I noticed that the sync circle stayed in the uper task bar longer than normal, then Pandora started playing real choppy. Then the whole phone locked up on me for about 45 seconds, until i received the notification that Pandor lost it's network conntection. Then about 45 seconds later i noticed the phone went into airplane mode by it's self. So in this instance there was a large data transfer, followed by a request to stream large data, then it locked up and went into airplane mode.

Will keep posting until issue seems resolved.

Upvote 0
I also have had this problem with the Samsung Moment. I am on my 3rd phone now, and all three have randomly enabled airplane mode on their own. Since there is nothing Sprint can do, I contacted Samsung directly. They told me they were not aware of this issue!!! HOW CAN THAT BE? There are so many people online posting this as a problem, how has no one else called them about it? If that is true, I think the best thing we can do is have everyone call in to Samsung directly and tell them we are all having this issue so they feel some pressure to get their techs to work on a solution for this awful glitch in the software! Please people....CALL IN!

Upvote 0
I've had my moment for about a month and it has worked fairly well with only a couple of lock ups that forced me to reboot. A couple of days ago the "Airplane Mode" issue surfaced and the phone has been randomly entering Airplane mode ever since with a reboot as the only solution. This is really a drag because it's my business phone. While I'm here other issues that bug me are the USB connectivity or should I say non-connectivity issue. The phone just will not connect to my PC to transfer mp3s to the memory card. Any suggestions here would be appreciated. Overall the phone is cool, the apps are handy, and the call quality is pretty good but the few problems there are are big ones from a user standpoint. What is the news on an OS upgrade?

Valzan

Upvote 0
Funny I have tried to break this phone any way I can, I use my phone all day, have played with cl14, zelfies 14.3, 2.1 and anything else I can get my hands on. I think the airplane mode issue is being caused by something being done to the phone. People think they may know how to handle this beast but probably don't.

I think the airplane mode sufferers may need to go hit up other beginner level forums before posting with other people that know what they are doing. Just my 2 cents.

I have two Moments and have no issues with either one.

I have came across software also on the market that causes force closes and stuff and I remove it and the problem goes away.

Upvote 0
After reading this thread I checked and sure enough, WiFi mode was on. Quite possible I turned it on while touch screening settings in bright outdoor light. Anyway, turned it off as I don't need it most of the time and haven't had the problem since. Not to change the subject but do any of you have a sure fire USB connection procedure? Where are you getting USB drivers? Thanks !!

Upvote 0
Funny I have tried to break this phone any way I can, I use my phone all day, have played with cl14, zelfies 14.3, 2.1 and anything else I can get my hands on. I think the airplane mode issue is being caused by something being done to the phone. People think they may know how to handle this beast but probably don't.

I think the airplane mode sufferers may need to go hit up other beginner level forums before posting with other people that know what they are doing. Just my 2 cents.

I have two Moments and have no issues with either one.

I have came across software also on the market that causes force closes and stuff and I remove it and the problem goes away.

I'm glad that you have no problems with YOUR Moments. however, that doesn't mean that those that do have problems don't know what they're doing. This is a widespread problem. I have seen it happen at the Sprint Store near me and it happens frequently to my wife's Moment. We both knew about this issue before getting our phones. for me it was a deal breaker and that is the reason I got a Hero. My wife insisted on a physical keyboard (although no longer uses it since I got her to try swype) and at the time was willing to deal with the issue.

Maybe once 2.1 comes out (if it ever does) the issue will get resolved. Until then it is a very real issue with the phone and not with the people using them. To say that turning off WIFI will correct the issue, that's nice, unless you have no 3G and piss poor 1x in your area and a nice fast WIFI connection available. After all, the Phone has WIFI capabilities, why should not be able to use it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones