Phone factory reset by itselfSupport

Last Updated:

1. jratzo

jratzo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So this morning I was trying the battery trick where you turn it off while plugged in then turn it back on.

I turned it off and then wasn't able to turn it back on, so I took it off the charger (wall outlet) and held down the power button. Phone turned back on but was in setup mode, everything was gone, settings email programs, everything.

I decided to restart it one more time, everything came back....

Anyone have any explanations???

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Its the automatic backup/restore feature that's built-in with the OS. Any installed app, saved files, some settings, etc, are all backed up to the Google cloud. I'm not sure if anyone has figured out how to micro-manage this process (i.e. when backup occurs, what specifically is backed up, etc) as it seems to be an "all or nothing" process at the moment. You do have the option of opting out however.

3. jratzo

How do you opt out?

How did it get wiped out in the first place? Any idea?

4. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

To "opt out", just uncheck the box for backing up your settings.

How did it happen? Depends on the button sequence for initializing the "OS flash" process, or you inadvertently "cleared" your settings via a soft reset.

5. jratzo

Interesting thanks.

Where is this setting? In backup assistant? I don't have that running.

6. justin3212

justin3212 New Member

So I woke up to my phone play a ringtone over and over. I couldnt stop the ringtone and it wasnt from an alarm. It was sitting at home screen just playing this ringtone over and over. So I turned the phone off and went back to sleep. When I turned the phone back on after I awoke it hard reset itself and made me start anew. No apps i downloaded, no ringtones or wallpapers except those on my SD card. Luckily I used backup assistant to get my contacts back but wtf?

Has this happened to anyone else? The only app ive downloaded recently is ourgroceries which I linked with my wife. the phone doesnt change settings, only needed internet access and something else trivial. I am very very careful with apps I download.

Also, I got the 2.2 update a week or 2 ago and have had 0 problems with it. I love it so far.

Again, anyone had this issue? Any reason why this happened?

7. Locoman

Locoman Well-Known Member

I use FM radio a lot and a day after the 2.2 update I was using FM radio. When I was done I pulled the head phones out and the icon indicating that the head phones were plugged in didn't go away. I called my phone from my home phone and it rang but I had to put the head phone back in to hear it. I restarted the phone and it went haywire. It kept trying to start over and over. After doing this for about an hour it hard reset itself then it worked fine, it's work fine ever since!

8. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

That is crazy bro I am very sorry to hear about this. Are you rooted. Did you do a factory reset upon 2.2. What detail do you have going on?This is really unfortunate.

9. hveraska

hveraska New Member

My droid incredible just hard reset itself this evening too! WTF? My LIFE was on this phone....contacts, birthdays, notes, to do lists, calendar events!! I have a gmail account so hopefully my contacts are linked. Plus, I do have it backed up but I have to start all over again! Why did this happen?

10. Way2Blue4You

Way2Blue4You New Member

My Incredible just did the same thing - the only exception is that my contacts & calendar entries weren't deleted. Apps are missing, others have had to be reinstalled to even function, & my home screen is FUBAR. All my web bookmarks are gone. All settings have been reset to factory. This all happened shortly after two updates to apps. What the hell happened to my phone? I've only had it for a month & run v2.2 - any insight would be appreciated...

11. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Just got hit with what looks like the same thing!! Phone went dead and i tried to turn it back on, it got stuck on the 'eye', when i finally got home ALL my contacts are gone, only 20 or so apps work, the rest have broken shortcuts on home screen that say 'program no longer located on phone', settings are back to factory. Plus some other crap.
    Email accounts still work, internal memory (pics) and sd card are untouched though. I backed up contacts 5 months ago so its not a total loss but still. What gives!?!?!?!?!?

12. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

So now NOTHING will work in market..... apps (that should of been already installed) will download but nothing will install??????

13. bobob101

bobob101 Member

Just wanted to say the same thing happened to me. Everything gone, complete factory reset without me telling it to or it prompting.

I'm running HTC Desire and CM7.

My full story of what happened is here (post on CM forums): Factory Reset by Phone, Not Me - CyanogenMod Forum

Wish I could help explain this, but alas, I have no other information.

Colin

14. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Seems like most of time (not all) *it* happens when the phone is not properly shut down (battery pull, sudden battery rundown), therefore not letting the internal storage/sd cards properly unmount, causing the memory to become corrupted.

15. bobob101

bobob101 Member

Now that makes complete sense. If that had happened to me (pulled the battery or something like that) I would be less surprised that it happened. When it happened for me though, I had just hung up after talking to someone and was in the process of unlocking the phone.