Phone fell, screen shattered.

Last Updated:

1. srslyfresh

srslyfresh Member This Topic's Starter

I know, I know. The phone has been through a numerous amount of drops but this final one did it. Screen is shattered, Gorilla glass prevented scratches though! lol

Anyways, anyone know how I can retrieve my contact list and an other valuable info from the phone by hooking it up to my mac and accessing it from there? Screen is completely useless.

Advertisement
  2. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

3. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Sad (sorry)...Screen is shattered

Funny (thanks)...Gorilla glass prevented scratches though!

4. LMaxwell

LMaxwell Well-Known Member

5. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Well-Known Member

Do you have any pictures? What kind of drop finally did it (screen down on concrete...)? Did you have any kind of case on it?

I would like the opportunity to learn from other people's mistakes so I can get the most out of my 2 year investment.

Thanks!

6. srslyfresh

Thanks for that link, I will try that when I can get my hands on a pc.

No case or anything. I honestly can't tell you how it fell. I was drunk and it was at a club. My friend decided it'd be funny to tap on the phone when I was texting and made me drop it.

I've dropped it from hand level before and "tried to catch with my foot" and ended up kicking it across cement to find only a couple scratches. I've also dropped it screen down and nothing happened, and I've also dropped it from my lap while getting out of my suv face down on the concrete. I think if it falls on the edges of the phone, it won't result in any good.

Anyone else have any help? I tried loading up my contacts from gmail and even most of the contacts I loaded up from my bb to switch to the captivate 3 months ago aren't there. :(

7. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

I've been a member of this forum since July 13th and I don't think I've read anything funnier. Thanks for making my day.

I wish I had a solution for your dilemma to show gratitude for the laughs.

8. mnemonicj

I would hope the friend would have at least bought you a drink or given you a voucher for a future drink since you may have already been 3 sheets.

9. mrbaro

mrbaro New Member

Sorry to hear about your phone. In reference to your contacts, if you saved them to the SIM card when you entered them you should be able to place the SIM card in any other phone and have access to them again. Also, if you saved your contacts directly to your phone (i.e not to the SIM card or your Google account) then they should have automatically synced with the AT&T address book. The address book can be found here: https://addressbook.att.net/.

Hope the info helps and good luck.

10. 3gAndroid

3gAndroid Well-Known Member

This is an excellent reminder, it's saved one of my friends that is very hard on phones, not once but twice... :)

Cheers...

11. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Alternative:

Use Titanium Pro or MyBackup Pro, then domicile the backup on an external SD card. This creates a "portable" backup that can then be restored to another phone.

MyBackup Pro automagically can store the backups on the external SD card, whereas Titanium Pro needs prodding via its preferences.

Eclair path: sd/TitaniumBackup

Froyo path: external_sd/TitaniumBackup

12. Gipson

Gipson Well-Known Member

lol...just lol. maybe all the cumulative damage just finally broke the phone down. should've picked up a case after the first drop...or three.

13. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Well-Known Member

Accidentally slinged the cappy hard on the sidewalk this weekend, it even skipped along on the concrete.. but thankfully there's the body glove case on it - no damage whatsoever. This is my 3rd or 4th drop.

14. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Damn you guys definitely need cases on the Captivate.

I wish I was rich enough to toss my expensive Android phones without cases and not worry about it.

15. fireonhigh

fireonhigh Well-Known Member

you really need to film this,maybe gorilla glass will use it? i beat the snot out of my cap. still ticking ,i need to be filmed,weekends are helll:D

16. srslyfresh

Does this come with the cover glass too? I was told that you just can't replace the lcd cause the cover glass comes with it. Stores want $150 to fix the phone so I said Hell no.

Anyone tried fixing themselves? or any links on the intrawebs with directions on how to do it?

I just despise bulky phones and having a hard time getting phones out of my pocket. i loved the cappy cause it was so simple to pull out of my pocket. And no, I'm not using a holder that clips to my belt. I do not have a kid or have surpassed my early 20s.

17. mnemonicj

$150 sounds like a great price to have someone else replace the glass. A lot better than the $500+ it would cost to get an off contract replacement phone, unless you want to take a risk and try to get an off contract phone on eBay, which I would not recommend.

18. LMaxwell

LMaxwell Well-Known Member

I don't know that there is another layer. Everything I've seen on the Super AMOLED screens indicates there's only 2 layers, which is one reason the picture is so good and there's less glare than other touch screens.

But I've never torn one apart, so don't quote me on that..

19. srslyfresh

Meh, for $150 I'd much rather spend another $50 and get a new phone. All of my older phones were off ebay, always did me well.

Welp, I guess I have a project for winter break. haha

20. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Good idea. Then get a shoe box, fill it with styrofoam, and place your new phone inside. Bulky to carry around, but the benefits are there.

Friends don't let drinking friends carry a Captivate. :)