• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hey Guys,
I finally got my phone to work at a decent speed. Here are the things I did:
1. Used Apps2SD to move the apps from internal storage to SD Card. Wondering why this helped? As far as I understand the apps are run in RAM and internal storage is used for storing data and apks etc. RAM is freed up by Android as and when needed but freeing up internal storage doesn't give android more RAM.
2. Use Autorun Manager to prevent some apps from starting up and remaining in memory. Now this I understand because this gives more RAM to android and avoids unnecessary swapping when applications are started up.
3. Used 'SD Booster' to increase sd cache size to 8192Kb. This gave some initial benefits but later on it became very slow as usual.

Bottom line is I am still puzzled by Android memory and SD card management. I am pretty sure though process swapping in and out of memory is what caused my phone to slow down. My Samsung Droid Charge is supposed to have 512MB of RAM but most memory managers show only 374MB and 2 GB of internal storage and most tools show only 1.2GB. Why would this be? Am I missing something or should I use a different tool to analyze my memory.

Ok so I can clearly see that my phone is becoming slow again. Not sure as to what it is related to. Though one thing that surprises me is that I overclocked the CPU to 1.2 GHz and set the governor as 'conservative' and sometimes even ' smartassv2' but it changes to 'ondemand' even though I never changed it to that value. Why is this happening?

Upvote 0
have to agree that even though my phone was initially fast it slowed down considerably after some time. Frustrated I then backuped my phone using Titanium backup and installed Tweaked 2.2 Rom + PBJ. But this time I did the conversion to EXT4 and the phone has become super snappy and the fastest I have ever seen. However, I am not rejoicing right now because I have only installed some very necessary apps like navigation, yelp etc. Don't know if the phone will be come slow after I install more apps. On Seepu I can see for the first time my used memory is green and this probably is a major reason why the phone has speeded up. Another factor is the EXT4 conversion.
Before I add any more apps I want to save this state of the phone so that I can go back to this if the performance degrades. What do I have to do for this? I used Titanium backup but I see that it saves app data and you have to install each individual app. What I want is to make one click and restore my phone back to the state it previously was. Should I do a nandroid backup

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones