• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone freezes constantly

chris98891

May 16, 2010
Hey guys, this just started happening a couple days ago...my phone freezes ALL THE TIME. As in, i can watch the taskbar move, i can see that things are happening, but i can't input on the touch screen or use the touch buttons.

i have unrevoked forever, s-off, the official 2.2.

i have done a factory reset to get rid of everything. i'm trying to figure out what causes it, but it seems like a big problem with the market. i can't download anything, and if i start clicking on too many things, it will either go to an all black and all white screen, where it seems like its loading, but it ever does, and i lose the ability to drop down the task bar.

if i press the sleep button, it will turn off the screen, and if i try to wake it up, it just lights up the home keys, and i get feedback if i press them but it doesn't do anything.

battery pull, phone boots fine. start doing stuff once it starts, and the phone freezes. it seems like i have to wait 5-10 minutes while the phone boots before i can do anything on it without freezing it, because if i get it running, it will run for awhile.

the phone did start freaking out when i installed setcpu, but i feel like after the factory reset it shouldnt have any effects.

so what do we say, any ideas? thanks for any help in advance!

EDIT: found a new way to freeze it after the factory reset, opening gmail. all white screen like its going to open, and then i just eventually lose the ability to touch the screen. market won't start either.

it seems like its just becoming overloaded very easily, and then freezes.

are you using titanium backup to restore apps? I have found it makes my phone very unstable and future apps won't download, etc.

I've had a problem once restoring apps with Titanium Backups but I found a solution to that problem in the app's settings. Other than that I cannot image how this program would be making your phone unstable. In fact, how do you know Titanium Backup is even the culprit in your problems? I certainly don't think it would keep a phone from booting up.

Upvote 0
I've had a problem once restoring apps with Titanium Backups but I found a solution to that problem in the app's settings. Other than that I cannot image how this program would be making your phone unstable. In fact, how do you know Titanium Backup is even the culprit in your problems? I certainly don't think it would keep a phone from booting up.

What option helped with this? If I restore any of my apps (even WITHOUT data restored too) I have issues downloading updates or any apps period. My phone was starting to slow down to a crawl too until I just said forget it and manually installed all of my apps without titanium backup.

Upvote 0
What option helped with this? If I restore any of my apps (even WITHOUT data restored too) I have issues downloading updates or any apps period. My phone was starting to slow down to a crawl too until I just said forget it and manually installed all of my apps without titanium backup.

I never backup or restore system data with TB, I only backup and restore apps. I prefer to back up with TB because 1) If you have paid version of TB it will restore all apps at once without making you hit install over and over, and 2) It does a backup of each app and its data so I don't have to reset everything in all my apps after a restore (though I have run into an exception or two).

I was having some restore issues with TB so I turned on Force to same location and also changed App processing mode to AUTO, indirect. I can't remember if Auto-sync TB settngs was already checked or not, but I have it checked also.

Many people have been having had intermitten problems with apps downloading but then not installing. I just cancel download and do it again and after a try, or two, or three, it works. I don't know what is causing this, but at this point I have no reason to suspect TB as being a part of this problem.

I hope this helps some.

Upvote 0
I never backup or restore system data with TB, I only backup and restore apps. I prefer to back up with TB because 1) If you have paid version of TB it will restore all apps at once without making you hit install over and over, and 2) It does a backup of each app and its data so I don't have to reset everything in all my apps after a restore (though I have run into an exception or two).

I was having some restore issues with TB so I turned on Force to same location and also changed App processing mode to AUTO, indirect. I can't remember if Auto-sync TB settngs was already checked or not, but I have it checked also.

Many people have been having had intermitten problems with apps downloading but then not installing. I just cancel download and do it again and after a try, or two, or three, it works. I don't know what is causing this, but at this point I have no reason to suspect TB as being a part of this problem.

I hope this helps some.

Yeah that was the same problem I was having on multiple different roms, including the OTA 2.2, until I decided to just download the apps individually and then the problem disappeared. I love the idea of titanium backup, but its not worth the hassle it causes later with apps not downloading, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones