Phone goes dead with black screen at 23%Support

1. Loribee

Loribee Active Member

Hi

I've had my S4 since July. The first few weeks the battery life was great, since then it has become increasingly worse with an average of 3 hrs life after each charge now. I've read all the related threads regarding battery life and have implemented the suggestions but nothing has improved the life of the battery.

The last couple of days as the battery has reached around 23% the phone just dies. The screen goes instantly black and is completely off without having been switched off or going through the process of switching off.

The phone does not switch back on again, the only way to get it back on is to charge it at which point you can see from the battery charging display that there is still charge left in the battery.

Would anyone have any ideas about this please?

Thank you

Advertisement
    :
  2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

Even with the software bug most of the S4's experience after software updates, I haven't heard of any draining in 3 hours. Best bet is to head to a carrier store and see if they can swap your battery without a headache.
  3. Loribee

Loribee Active Member

Many thanks for your reply Darnell0216, I will most definitely do that. Fingers crossed they'll swap the battery for me without sending my phone away.
  4. Darnell0216

And if you ever want to see if your battery is going bad in the future, give it the spin test. Place the battery on a level surface. Push down on one corner and see if it spins. If it does, it's starting to swell and is on it's way out or already gone. Using it at this point is hazardous, as continuing to use it can turn that swell into a leaking or exploding battery.
    Loribee likes this.
  5. Loribee

Loribee Active Member

Thank you so much Darnell0216.

UPDATE

After checking with my phone provider my battery was not covered under the warranty but I was offered a
  6. Darnell0216

That's a hell of a swell. I'm glad you figured it out before it was too late as well.
  7. Loribee

Loribee Active Member

Thank you and I'm passing on your invaluable information about swollen batteries to friends and family. All phone users should be made aware of the problems swollen batteries cause and the danger.

Thank you again.
  8. Loribee

Loribee Active Member

A quick update to say that I called Samsung and they said they are responsible for the battery under the warranty. They are sending me out a new battery :)