Phone goes into recovery mode, then fails

Last Updated:

1. jaiguru

jaiguru New Member This Topic's Starter

So, I have a Vibrant. The issue all started when I tried to install the 1.2ghz OC rom onto my phone. I had rommanager installed, and attempted to run it off the SD card, but when my phone booted up it had lost my applications, everything.

The problem I'm running into now is that the phone seems to be unable to use its mass storage. Every time I attempt to reinstall an application from the market it says it doesn't have enough memory. Under settings it says "unavailable" for the internal mass storage.

I tried using the volume buttons and power button to enter recovery/dl mode but every time I do I cannot make selections. If I use the power button to try to select it does nothing. In fact the "up" volume button makes it go down, and the other "down" button also doesn't do anything.

Since I have no applications I can't use clockwork recovery, even though I know I have one. Also, Odin is unable to connect to the phone, so I can't reload factory. Kies also doesn't recognize the phone.

It also won't even recognize the SIM card, says it has no reception when it clearly does.

Advertisement
  2. jaiguru

jaiguru New Member This Topic's Starter

So I figured out after a little searching that this should not have happened with a safe ROM. I know you can question what I did and say I did it wrong but the fact is I followed all the instructions and the Vibrant's 1.2ghz OC ROM from XDA is not a safe ROM.

For evidence: people who flash I900 ROMs to their American Galaxy S's experience the exact same issues I did, because the ROM was not made for the American UI. So, moral of the story: be very careful what ROMs you trust.

Luckily I had insurance but this ROM bricked my phone and I've been screwing around with ROMs since I got a G1 the month they came out. On the plus side, now I have an extra battery and SD card!

Also, FYI, never EVER unplug in the middle of using Odin. Had a friend with Vibrant issues do this and he ended up bricking his phone as well. I told him not to do it, but he did anyways.

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Moved to Root subforum for you :)

jaiguru likes this.
  4. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Which ROM, exactly, are you referring to? And it's not the ROM's themselves that are overclocked, it's the kernel used in the ROM that's capable of overclocking.

I've yet to hear of a ROM for the Vibrant being "unsafe." I've flashed an OC ROM several times now and have yet to experience a problem.