Phone in constant rebootSupport

Last Updated:

1. reltihmd

reltihmd New Member This Topic's Starter

my phone soft reboots every few seconds, gets as far as "HTC, Quietly Brilliant" and then reboots, anyone had this before and know of a solution? I've googled around but most people with a reboot issue it is random, mine is constant and has been rebooting constantly for over an hour, only way to stop it is yank out the battery but still can't boot afterwards

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello and Welcome to Android Forums.

You did not include anything about your device, in your posted question (or in you profile as of this posting), so it's difficult to give you a response taylored to your situation.

What model is it (Hero, Galaxy S, Droid, etc)?

Is it rooted?

How was it running prior to the behavior you're describing?

..etc. ;)

For example, it is possible to go into a special menu and cause a factory data reset, which may be the only remedy for the reboots, via correct buttons to press simultaneously with powering the device up, but we need to know what phone you have to tell you which buttons to press.

3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

4. reltihmd

Hi thanks for the reply, it's a HTC Desire, pretty much stock just apps from the marketplace on it, not rooted, not customised,

normally it runs pretty well, which is more than can be said for my network, it is now working again but it was constantly rebooting/having the battery ripped out for about 6 hours

the OS on it is straight from HTC, I purchased the phone direct to avoid having a phone company mess with it...

5. reltihmd

hmmm, now it's doing it again - I was browsing the marketplace at the time (I hadn't started installing anything

6. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Moving this to the HTC Desire forum.

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Have you installed lots of apps? Might be one of those that is causing the reboot. Did it start happening after installing anything?

Are you using a task killer btw?

8. reltihmd

did have a task killer on it (been there for months) and it never caused any issues

bit the bullet last night and restored factory defaults, error checked and wiped the SD card and started again, only installed navigator, flash and facebook on it (automatically) and it's just started rebooting again...

software has installed to the SD card though, and that's a fairly new feature. the only other thing I can think is that it's a hardware fault. like I said today there is literally nothing installed (I hadn't visited the marketplace since the hard reset)

9. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

looks like a dodgy phone if it does it from a factory reset too. Might be worth contacting your network and or HTC

10. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it matches the problem my Desire developed today.

It's unbranded and has never been rooted, only ever been run with official HTC updates, and was a solid phone until I installed HTC's 2.3 Desire update and then it suffered infrequent, random reboots.

Recently I've been having problems activating mobile data. The mobile data radio would turn on, but there wouldn't be any activity. A reboot would fix it, but today I rebooted it and now it's stuck in a reboot loop, which has never happened before. I've tried removing the SIM, SD Card, and leaving the battery out for hours all to no avail. It gets to the HTC screen where it writes "quietly brilliant" and then reboots. Repeat ad infinitum.

Apart from the 2.3 random reboots, it has been a solid phone since I got it nearly two years ago. It has never suffered the overheating issues and hadn't been used for a few hours and was cold when I restarted it.

Because it has got HTC's 2.3 update on it, it no longer has a bootloader you can access by holding down a button on start-up, so I have no way of doing a factory reset to see if that fixes it.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I could try?

Edit: I've just discovered holding the Volume - button and then powering on does grant access to the menu that allows me to "clear storage," so I will backup my SD Card data tomorrow before doing a hard reset.

11. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member

I accessed the Recovery menu and rebooted from there and my phone is working fine again now.

12. 0793101

0793101 New Member

i had the same problem , my htc desire was constantly rebooting and couldn't get further than the "HTC, Quietly Brilliant" screen (oh the irony :)

anyway, i fixed the problem by:
    1. press volume down + power button to get into HBOOT
    2. Select the following:
    - RECOVERY (wait for ClockworkMod Recovery)
    - mounts and storage (using middle round button)
    - format data
    - format cache
    - back
    - reboot system now

That seems to have done the trick for me. Hope it helps.