• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone in reboot loop/stuck in bootloader screen

Hi all,
This is my first post.
I searched the other topics and didn't find my exact situation:

My STOCK M7 has gone into a boot loop for the 2nd time. The first time I sent it to a repair centre and they merely wiped and re-applied the build.
I lost my data..

This time it happened as I was using the phone: was laggy, then eventually the screen went blank. Went into bootloop when I restarted it.

What I am hoping for is a way to restore my phone so that I can get the data off of it, and then I will factory restore it.

Is there a way to get access to my data at this stage?

Things I have tried:
Stock restore = Completed successfully, but no change
Stock cache clearing = completed successfully, but no change
(phone still boot loots)

Thanks guys,

DHD

Sorry but no, The stock recovery has very limited ability's. This is the number one reason I unlock / install custom recovery / root and backup my phone's.

People think rooting and custom recovery is not for them until they find out the limitations of the stock recovery's the company's provide and end up loosing everything again and again.

Upvote 0
ok thanks clsa.

I've been trying to avoid doing anything custom to my phone - would "unlocking" be detectable and invalidate my warranty?

I'd do it if its a quick process, else I'm thinking there are more reliable phones out there and will make the switch.. What do you think?

it's too late now... it seems you have a defective device, no use in unlocking it now return it.

I'm very happy with the way HTC has handled the M7 and M8 .. I have gotten 5 system updates in 16 months. To be honest the only other phone i would consider for full time use and rooting and roms would be the Nexus 5. If your happy with a stock out of the box phone that's good and stable maybe look into the LG G2 / G3 of maybe a Sony Xperia Z2

Upvote 0
Thanks again CLSA.

I was asking about once the phone is reset (it reset back to factory and worked well for a few months): If I follow your advice and "unlock / install custom recovery", will that be detectable by HTC and would it invalidate the warranty? I was trying to keep the phone stock.

if it is defective then I will send it back - but I imagine that will be a saga as these sellers are told to send to htc for "repair" (hardware reset).

As for phones I think I will go for a stock android phone like the ones you mention or the moto g, I just need to research the hardware as I cant deny the HTC is great in that regard.

Upvote 0
So even though I already have a different phone, I wanted to see if there was anything that can be done to fix my One M7 before I ship it back. Day one got the phone. Charged it, went to activate it. It got stuck after 15 minutes. Turned phone off. Started it back up to do the activation again. Same thing happened only out was stuck for 20 minutes. So I went into the boot menu and did an fdr. When the phone powered back on it went into a boot loop of the first HTC white screen, then shuts off and repeats. No button combination works to even get the phone turned off. Verizon couldn't fix it, HTC couldn't fix it. So instead I got sent an LG G2 because they won't have the One M7 back in until the end of the month and my DNA is having the SIM card issues even with a new sin card and SIM card tray. I'm in love with the One. And I never even got it started up past activation. Any help at all with this?

Upvote 0
it's too late now... it seems you have a defective device, no use in unlocking it now return it.

I'm very happy with the way HTC has handled the M7 and M8 .. I have gotten 5 system updates in 16 months. To be honest the only other phone i would consider for full time use and rooting and roms would be the Nexus 5. If your happy with a stock out of the box phone that's good and stable maybe look into the LG G2 / G3 of maybe a Sony Xperia Z2

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is options for data recovery once the phone has been factory hardware reset.

Has anyone had any experience recovering files after said event?
(I'm thinking of the scenario of connecting phone to PC, running recovery software to read the phone memory. Don't know why I didn't try that when the phone came back the first time..)

Upvote 0
Hi there, I was in the middle of doing an update on htc and battery died whilst it was updating. I have tried the bootloader for RECOVERY and FACTORY RESET but both options just reload HTC White screen and get stuck in the loop. I think its deleted the old OS from phone and now stuck in limbo.

I have also selected the RECOVERY option and pressed the Volume up + Power and wiped both cache and data/recovery.

What do I do to get me back on track. This phone currently has fastboo disabled and is not rooted or modified in any way ?

Upvote 0
Hi there, I was in the middle of doing an update on htc and battery died whilst it was updating. I have tried the bootloader for RECOVERY and FACTORY RESET but both options just reload HTC White screen and get stuck in the loop. I think its deleted the old OS from phone and now stuck in limbo.

I have also selected the RECOVERY option and pressed the Volume up + Power and wiped both cache and data/recovery.

What do I do to get me back on track. This phone currently has fastboo disabled and is not rooted or modified in any way ?

I know it's been a while, but if you still need help with this, head over to this thread right here at XDA and see if you can find the lastest RUU and guide for your flavor One. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I have a stock Verizon HTC One. Bootloader is locked and nothing is or has ever been rooter on this device. Recently, upon starting up my phone, the white 3-android boot screen came up. I can navigate through the options with the power up key, but the power down key for some reason does not work. Not only that, but the power button does NOT work to select ANY of the options, so therefore I can not boot the phone into recovery or even select factory reset from the menu. The strange thing is, is that I can hold the power key + the volume up key to boot up into Safe Mode, so I know the power button isn't broken. Once in Safe Mode, I have done a complete wipe of the device, but to no avail. The phone just boots right back up into the boot menu and I'm back at square one. I have no idea how to proceed from here, as my phone is out of warranty. If I could get some step by step instructions on how to resolve this, that would be greatly appreciated.
Note: image is from Google images, but that is what I'm currently seeing.

Attachments

• 20130919_184659.jpg
    20130919_184659.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 424
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hey guys, I have a stock Verizon HTC One. Bootloader is locked and nothing is or has ever been rooter on this device. Recently, upon starting up my phone, the white 3-android boot screen came up. I can navigate through the options with the power up key, but the power down key for some reason does not work. Not only that, but the power button does NOT work to select ANY of the options, so therefore I can not boot the phone into recovery or even select factory reset from the menu. The strange thing is, is that I can hold the power key + the volume up key to boot up into Safe Mode, so I know the power button isn't broken. Once in Safe Mode, I have done a complete wipe of the device, but to no avail. The phone just boots right back up into the boot menu and I'm back at square one. I have no idea how to proceed from here, as my phone is out of warranty. If I could get some step by step instructions on how to resolve this, that would be greatly appreciated.
Note: image is from Google images, but that is what I'm currently seeing.

You may be best served by running an RUU:

http://androidruu.com/?developer=M7

Should be able to run from fastboot USB mode in the bootloader on a Windows machine.

That screenshot which was edited in after I posted, says tampered and unlocked. You said it had no previous root dealings and was locked?

Upvote 0
Hello turbo!
I moved your thread into the HTC One forum so others can assist;)
So after it downloaded, you chose to install, it rebooted and now stuck correct?
What have you tried doing so far?

yes ive tried wipe cache and doing a factory reset in recovery. ive flashed custom roms on my old motorola phones but never an HTC. kinda lost

So to follow up any questions people might have

My HTC one I bought online was completely stock. Its running
hboot 1.54
Radio 1.12.42.0731

Phone is s-on or no super user support its completely stock unrooted. And boot loader is locked.

I did an ota update and its stuck in bootloop now . I tried to use HTC utility wizard but I get an error 171 usb connection fault about half way in. I go into adb and it doesn't show any device. Yes I have latest drivers.

How can I fix this. I'm on Verizon network.

Here r the files

Attachments

• IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 558
  • RUU_141221T144306.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0
I have a Verizon HTC One, not rooted. The only update I did was yesterday installed Humin app for Contact Management. Today (while it was 85% charged) it got frozen while reading a message on Whatspp. I pressed Power button for a few seconds and it switched off. But now as I start it by holding the power button, it vibrates after 10 secs, shows HTC, and then shutts off after 5 seconds. If I keep holding, keeps going through this loop.
I pressed volume down button and then power button, and get to HBOOT screen with three Android icons. I can use the volume buttons to go up and down on options, but if I choose Recovery, or Factory Reset or even Show Barcode, and then press power button, this screen also gets frozen (i.e. Volume up/Down don't work anymore).
I have to then press power for ten seconds to go black. So in effect I am not even able to Factory Reset the phone.
I tried holding Back and Power, but that goes no where as well.
What can be next option from here?
Thanks in advance for any pointers/help!

Upvote 0
Hi there,

This morning my HTC One M7 told me it was ready to upgrade to Android 5, so after connecting to Wi-Fi, I clicked for upgrade to be downloaded and installed.

Initially the download seemed to be going fine, but at some point (I wasn't looking at my phone at the time) when my phone was trying to install the updates, it went to the white screen with the HTC logo which it always shows when it's rebooting. It's been stuck on this for hours now without any sign of changing.

Whenever I turn off the phone, it turns itself back on straight away and heads back to this screen. I've tried going into recovery mode and deleting the cache partition, which I read somewhere to do and this too did nothing. I then tried to factory reset my phone, but every time, it just brings me back to this white screen with a logo.

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this problem and what I could do to try to fix my phone? My phone had been working fine until I tried to do the update, and I hadn't downloaded any kind of unofficial apps or made any modifications to my phone.

Please let me know if you can help me and thanks!

Upvote 0
My HTC ONE M7 died on me a couple of days ago. When I went to boot it, the White "HTC ONE Android" splash showed for a few seconds and the screen went black. After trying several times to power off and on, the best I could do was get the boot to loop (repeatedly showing white screen, going black, repeat...).

I was able to get the phone in recovery mode. While there, I did a hard reset. The log output indicated that the reset was successful. But when I selected "system reboot" from recovery mode, it did not reboot. It just went black again.

I was hoping to try and re-install the firmware/OS using adb, but when the phone is in recovery mode, Windows does not see it. The only device that windows recognizes when the USB is connected is the phone's USB storage device (and even that isn't accessible as a windows drive).

Is there any way to restore the phone's software without adb?

Upvote 0
I forgot to mention:
- Provider is AT&T
- The phone has never been rooted
- The phone was always accessible on the PC prior to the reboot loop. I am a developer and debugged android apps using chrome debugger.
- There was no recent OS update performed. The last update was done about 6 months ago (4.2 I think? Can't look now!).

Upvote 0
I wouldn't expect the stock recovery to run the ADB daemon, so I don't think recovery would help you. If it's unrooted and a factory reset hasn't fixed it that's might mean it's more serious than a software problem, but I guess it's worth trying reflashing (might fix some forms of storage corruption anyway).

To reflash a HTC you actually need it to be in fastboot mode, which you access via the bootloader. Then you can use a ROM Upgrade Utility (RUU) to reflash the phone. Put it in fastboot mode, connect to the PC via USB, then run the RUU .exe on the PC and follow instructions. If you look here you can find a collection of RUUs - ATT ones I believe are labelled with the old network name (Cingular), so since you can't downgrade software with an RUU the best bet is probably this one (KitKat): RUU_M7_UL_K44_SENSE55_MR_Cingular_US_4.18.502.7_R10_Radio_4T.24.3218.09_10.26.1718.01L_release_356565_signed_2.exe

(assuming, that is, that you bought the device through ATT. If not, tell us what it says on the bootloader screen and that may help us find the right RUU. You can always try that one anyway - if it's the wrong one for the phone it will refuse to apply the update).

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help! Unfortunately, there appears to be a hardware problem as you suspected. The RUU installer ran, recognized the device, rebooted the bootloader, and started updating the phone.

But at the "Updating header" phase, I got a Windows error: htc_fastboot stopped running. The RUU installer said: ERROR[171] USB connection error. The phone was stuck in a black splash screen with silver letters "htc". When I unplug the USB, the phone goes back to the white bootloader screen, only this time is displays:

RUU
Loading zip file info fail!
Update fail!

So - I guess this is a paper weight now? It's in great shape physically. Is it worth anything for parts? The battery is still fine. I guess I won't be getting another HTC phone soon. I'll be trying out Samsung Galaxy S6 next.

Upvote 0
This may sound daft, but try another USB port, or even another USB cable. It's not unknown for some ports to work better than others, and certainly do not use a USB hub for this. The phone isn't acting completely dead - that black screen with silver letters is the RUU mode, so from the phone's end it was behaving correctly until the connection failed. Certainly worth trying again, because it sounds quite possible that the problem was on the PC.

Did you check the md5 code of the RUU you downloaded, to be sure it downloaded correctly?

Few people are competent to self-repair an M7, so I don't know how much it would be worth for parts. How long have you had it? In the EU where I am all phones have 2 years' warranty, so all but the very oldest are still covered, but I assume you only get 1 year Stateside.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but I actually tried a different PC and had the same problem. The MD% checksums match (thanks for that advice - I never knew how to do that).

I do not have another USB cable, but I'll get one and try that.

So in your opinion, this is probably not a phone hardware problem?

I really appreciate the help. I've only had the phone for 18 months. Warranty expired after 1 year.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones