Phone is butt diallingGeneral

1. Yno

Yno Member

My phone has butt dialed four people multiple times while locked and in my pocket. All four of the people were on direct dial widgets on the screen. I have now removed these direct dial widgets in hopes that I won't be disturbing my friends. I was never happy carrying a phone in my pocket and can't wait until Seidio comes out with a holster for this model.

Any ideas why it is making calls on its own?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

I think that when you put it in your pocket the screen is active and you brush against the screen. Do this enough times and you will randomly run into something. I have seen it launch applications on my Maxx for the same reason.

In your case you seemed to have brushed against the direct dial icon on the home screen.

Hit the power button turning the screen off and then put it in your pocket.

Of course if it is in your pocket and you use OK Google Now it will respond and turn the screen on. Brushing against it after this point could also cause the problem.

.... Thom
  3. speede541

speede541 Well-Known Member

Agreed, experiencing a similar problem because of a combination of Active Notification, plus option not to lock phone for one minute after pressing the power button, plus 5 minute screen timeout selected due to the awesome battery life (so I'm sometimes putting the phone back in my pocket and forgetting to turn the screen off).

I haven't actually butt dialed anyone yet, since I don't use that widget, but a number of times now I've heard a bunch of random key presses coming from my pocket. I'm guessing I'm not pocket-unlocking the gesture required to unlock my active notification swipedown, but who knows...

Yeah Sedio, where's that spring holster for my naked Maxx? Really need!
  4. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

I haven't butt dialed anyone yet, but I agree with the OP... COME ON SEIDIO!!!
  5. Yno

Yno Member

I did hit the power button to lock the screen. Maybe the slide lock is not withstanding sliding around in my pocket. Guess I will try a password.
  6. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I use a pattern lock at the moment, but I find the haptic feedback on the pattern draw a little annoying. I may switch to something else.
  7. Thom

Yes there seems to be a logic hole at work here.

When using Touchless Control I notice that if your Screen Lock is set to Slide or None that the screen is unlocked after the operations is done.

Set slide ... screen off ... wait 6 seconds ... say "OK Google Now time" (or whatever) .. the time is announced and the screen is on and unlocked.

(Touchless control requiring you to touch the screen seems to me to be defeating the purpose.)

... Thom
  8. speede541

There is always Face Unlock, which works really, really well (super snappy and not too picky). Only wish it worked in landscape orientation floor when the phone is in the car dock.
  9. Yno

Yno Member

Wasn't face unlock unreliable on the Bionic? I seem to remember reading about it, but I am old enough where my memory is sometimes also unreliable.....
  10. speede541

Yes, and somewhat slow on the Gnex. But it got a day on the Maxx -- you may become a fan.
  11. Thom

... and tough to do in your pocket.

... Thom
  12. distortedloop

distortedloop Member

I thought the proximity sensor was supposed to keep it from coming on while in your pocket...
  13. speede541

Good point. Then hopefully a simple fix.
  14. rabidhunter

rabidhunter Well-Known Member Contributor

I was doing this a lot with my OG DROID, where the keyboard will slide and open the phone. Then my phone would do funny things. I just turned the screen away from my leg...Problem solved.
  15. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

This just happened to me a few minutes ago. I turned my phone's display off by hitting the power button, and dropped it into my pocket. Several seconds later, I started hearing weird noises. It turned out my phone had activated the alarm app (which I have never used) and the sound was the notification picker for a new alarm.

Very weird.
  16. Thom

What Screen lock option do you have set? I user None.

... Thom
  17. landolakes

landolakes Well-Known Member

Mine randomly turns on as if I said OK Google now but I didn't
  18. Thom

Use a different phrase?

(I recorder "OK Droid Maxx" and it responds to "OK Droid".)

... Thom
  19. Thom

It seems pretty clear that Touchless Control ignores the proximity sensor and goes right ahead lights the display.

... Thom
  20. seidioseidio

seidioseidio Well-Known Member

Hi Yno,

We haven't finalized plans to make a spring-clip holster for the Motorola Droid Maxx, I'll send your request along to our product development department!
  21. Yno

Yno Member

Do you take bribes? :)
    speede541 likes this.
  22. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

My phone took pocket pictures for the first time today. All I know is I was in our main office and suddenly I hear shutter sounds and see flashes of light coming through my pants pocket. As I pulled it out of my pocket it flashed in the secretary's eyes. Oops.

I had 5 pictures that needed to be deleted. :(
  23. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I have pattern lock, but after that happened, I selected the option settings->Screen & security lock->Power button instantly locks. We'll see if it happens again.

I suspect it's a bug in touchless controls, though.

It would be nice if touchless control was more selectable - for example, if the Assist driving feature could turn it on when it sense you are driving. That is just about the only time I want or need touchless controls, to be honest.
    Thom likes this.
  24. Thom

You read my mind. That is exactly where I was going.

I think the issue is that TouchlessControl is not too well integrated (yet). Why does it ignore the proximity sensor and turn the display on if it is in your pocket? Should it work at all if it is in your pocket?

... Thom
  25. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Sure it should. If I want to know the weather while the phone is in my pocket, why can't I say "Ok, Google Now," then ask "What is the weather" and have it tell me the answer? Or, "Play Bruce Springsteen" to listen to music while I am walking to work?