Phone is noticably hotter when charging from a PC USBGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Tenchiro

Tenchiro Member This Topic's Starter

When I charge from a PC I notice the phone gets warmer than when charging from the wall. It is not hot by any means but quite a bit warmer than simply charging from the wall.

I don't think it will cause a problem and may be normal but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. malzfreund

malzfreund Member

Actually, that's strange.

When charging from you PC, your computer's USB port should provide 500mA (since it runs at 5V, that's 2.5 Watts).

The charger for the G1 can actually provide slightly more power (I don't have one in front of me, but I believe it's spec is something like 600-650mA). That's why your phone charges faster with it. That's also why I would expect the phone to get somewhat hotter when using the dedicated charger.

An explanation would be that your computer doesn't fully adhere to the USB specification (which is quite common).

3. Tenchiro

Thanks for the reply. I can see how a loose USB spec could affect that but it seems to be an issue across multiple computers. The T-Mobile My Account app gives some battery diagnostics but doesn't give an indicator for USB power. I wonder if there is another app out there that will tell me how much power I am getting from USB on different devices.

4. damnmad

damnmad Well-Known Member

Is USB debugging enabled? Or sd card mounted?

5. Tenchiro

Most of the time it is not mounted and I have not played with the USB debugging.

6. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

I've noticed this too.
    I assume that it's interaction between the computer and the phone (even when I don't have usb debugging or usb storage on?) I suppose it's doing SOMETHING even though were're not aware of it...

7. damnmad

damnmad Well-Known Member

Nothing should be happening unless debug mode or sd storage is on