• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone is on mute, but sounds still play

Hi all,

I think I have a unique issue, or at least one that I can't find a solution for anywhere...

I have an Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747) on AT&T and when i upgraded to the latest version of Android (4.1.2), I've noticed two things that are driving me batty.

1. Mute not actually muting
  2. All contacts not in my contact list and some that are come up as unknown

Mute Issue
This is by far the most frustrating. Since I upgraded, my mute does not work, or at least not in the way I expect it too. It seems to only mute the phone ringer. I can have it on mute and I still have sms notifications, key presses, email notifications, etc... Sending off sounds. I've even tried block mode, but that just disables all except the key presses and stuff I generate sounds with.

I would expect the mute to flat out kill all sounds that are generated by the phone. This was how it was working, but now it doesn't.

Unknown Contacts
This issue is one that is pretty random. But I have people that I know I have their phone numbers programmed showing up as unknown on my caller id screen and all.

I haven't researched this one nearly as completely as the mute issue, but I can place it in about the same time frame.

A few phone specs:
  • Stock, Non-rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747)
  • Android version 4.1.2
  • 3.0.31-1300972

I can't seem to find anything on this issue anywhere, and I'm almost to the point I am willing to root it and try Cynogenmod on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Antiparadigm

Thanks for the quick response!

I am not rooted and just running the stock version that was pushed to my phone.

I have tried Kies, but it says that this phone is not supported. I can't remember the exact message, but it was saying that it couldn't find a version that matched it based off of the carrier or something like that... I'll have to give it a try again to get the message.

Upvote 0
Did you try to reset the device . Did u download all drivers from device.
Try this without kies but make sure you have full internet connection .
Customers will receive an alert and be promptedto

download the update when connected to a Wi-Fi

network. To initiate the update manually, go to Settings >

About device > Software update > Check for updates.

2. Touch Continue or Postpone.

NOTE: Users can postpone 1,4, or 8 hours and up to 3

times.

3. The device automatically start downloading the software

update. Touch Continue.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
When I press and hold down my volume control, or pull down the notification bar and select mute or vibrate, it turns off the volume for my phone calls, SMS, and email notifications. The only thing it doesn't turn off is the alarm. My model is SPH-L710(Sprint).

The Volume Widget app that I linked to should be able to mute everything. Just create a profile with everything muted and activate that profile.

Upvote 0
The Volume Widget app that I linked to should be able to mute everything. Just create a profile with everything muted and activate that profile.

Thanks but I really don't have any need for it. I was just mentioning that my volume control already turns off the notification sounds for everything except the alarm. I like the fact that lowering my volume does not affect my alarms. All day long I'm constantly raising and lowering my volume and I don't want to accidentally turn off an alarm and miss waking up for work in the morning! :sleep:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones