• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone is randomly dropping 3G connection

Is anybody else losing their 3G connection on the DINC? My phone has recently started to randomly drop 3G so that I am unable to surf the web, receive emails etc.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? I live in South Florida where 3G has always been fine. I would greatly appreciate anybody's input. Rebooting the phone helps for a while.:thinking:

Is anybody else losing their 3G connection on the DINC? My phone has recently started to randomly drop 3G so that I am unable to surf the web, receive emails etc.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? I live in South Florida where 3G has always been fine. I would greatly appreciate anybody's input. Rebooting the phone helps for a while.:thinking:

I had lots of dropped 3G connections yesterday.:(

Upvote 0
My phone was dropping 3g for weeks since froyo arrived, finally wouldn't connect at all. Took it to Verizon, couldn't fix, sent me a new one. New one worked for about 15 minutes after first powering on-lost 3g-stuck on mobile network connecting grayed out forever. Soft reset worked for now. Seems to be a major problem since froyo, never experienced this before and I've had my phone since early May. Used to love this phone til froyo and now I've had 3 major hard resets and numerous visits to the Verizon store-even had them lose my number for 2 days when they reset it once.

Upvote 0
I am just now experiencing it too. I'm in Boston at the Intercontinental Hotel in a ballroom where I have no service. That's fine but, when I leave the hotel the 3G won't come back on unless I reboot the phone. It is starting to get annoying. I hope this isn't gonna be a new trend. I really love this phone. I would hate to have to trade it in.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to bump this thread since I'm still having issues with 3G. I've had this phone since May 1, and this issue just recently started to pop up. It follows ROM to ROM, full wipe after full wipe.

Toggling to Airplane mode does absolutely nothing for me. Pulling the battery is hit or miss (mostly miss). Anybody have any luck with anything else?! This is making my phone useless for all practical purposes. I'm going to have to try the <gasp> stock Froyo ROM to see if that makes any difference....

Upvote 0
I've been having this issue a lot also. So i finally caved in and performed the factory reset.

I decided to not install Swype back on the phone and I haven't seen the 3G issue again. I left Swype off for 2 weeks.

I finally re-installed Swype on yesterday and then all of a sudden, the 3G issues started up again today. I don't want to say it's Swype, but i think it might be Swype.

Upvote 0
I've been having this issue a lot also. So i finally caved in and performed the factory reset.

I decided to not install Swype back on the phone and I haven't seen the 3G issue again. I left Swype off for 2 weeks.

I finally re-installed Swype on yesterday and then all of a sudden, the 3G issues started up again today. I don't want to say it's Swype, but i think it might be Swype.

I don't use swype and I have this issue as well. Quite annoying. I tried flashing an older radio bit I'm still having the same issue.

Upvote 0
This happened to me again today. I rebooted the phone but that didn't help. I did a *228 option 1 to reprogram and reboot. Now I have 3 bars of 3G and data is working again.

This is the second time that *228 has worked for me when 3G is flaking out. The last time was about a week and a half ago.

Upvote 0
The same thing has started happening to me the past few weeks also.
When I lose the 3g signal I go to the mobile 3g widget and try turning it off and then on but it is not responsive.
I get a very good signal where I live, 68-80 dbm so I know that is not the problem. I have a feeling the problem is on Verizons end as I completely lost signal for around 4 hours the other day. Both 3g and 1x.
Sure hope someone figures it out.

Upvote 0
I've been having similar problems as well, either dropping to 1X or losing the data connection entirely. The option is grayed out in Wireless & Networks. Interestingly, it seems like I can't enable Airplane Mode either, because while the lock screen tells me I'm in AM, I still have bars and the checkbox in Settings refuses to stay checked.

Anyone know if it's possible to get an exchange to another phone model?

Upvote 0
Highly unlikely they will exchange you models outside of your 30-day window yopete. If you truly do continue to experience issues that you can't deal with, you could continue to report it and try replacements of the same model though. Eventually they may give in, or possibly enough people will be experiencing problems that they work to resolve it.

It's a strange issue for sure, one that seemed to come on with 2.2 (at least in my case and most others I have read). Mine seems to be isolated to specific areas. Some sort of reception or interference based issue. There is a building that I can walk into each time and replicate the problem. I realize that no 3G coverage inside buildings is not entirely Verizon or HTC's fault, but it's frustrating that the 3g connection won't come back after I leave.

Minor problem, if it weren't for the fact that I need to enter that building almost every day. All is well. I guess the best I can hope for is to report the issue to Verizon, potentially try a replacement, and otherwise deal with having to "airplane mode" and/or reset my phone everyday.

I am just surprised that the issue still seems somewhat isolated. I mean I've seen a few threads here and there, however it seems like the majority aren't experiencing any problems.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback all.

Upvote 0
I'm holding out hope that the latest OTA that is supposed to start going out next week fixes the issue. I really don't think it's location specific because is seems to happen randomly to me whenever the phone loses signal and tries to recover or switches from wifi to the mobile network. We'll just have to see if it's fixed in the coming weeks.

Upvote 0
Happens here too...if i go into settings it says 3G turning on and greyed out. 3G widget is unresponsive, and airplane mode toggle on and back off does nothing. Battery pull has worked every time for me thus far. What a pain. Mine started a few weeks ago and does it a couple times a week now. Just did it this morning. It seems like if i try to use data in an area with a real weak or no 3G signal it causes the issue. I cant confirm that...but i hit a dead zone on my way home from work every day and if i am doing something using data it almost always happens.

Upvote 0
I'm holding out hope that the latest OTA that is supposed to start going out next week fixes the issue. I really don't think it's location specific because is seems to happen randomly to me whenever the phone loses signal and tries to recover or switches from wifi to the mobile network. We'll just have to see if it's fixed in the coming weeks.

I'm with you on this. I didn't see the issue listed on the fixes but I'm still hoping for the best:

DROID Incredible Update Ready, Looks Like a Bug Fixer - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Upvote 0
The way to fix this without doing a battery pull is the following:

If you're 3G isn't connecting go into the settings and see if your Mobile Network option says turning on and is grayed out. If that is the case then toggle on airplane mode to shut off all connections, and while still in the settings menu it will turn off the mobile network. Now disable airplane mode and then scroll down to the mobile network option and manually turn it on because it should no longer be grayed out.

This has worked for me every time. I have also noticed that I experience this issue mostly in the morning when I would turn the phone on. It seemed to have been with me toggling off my WiFi connection right before bed and not allowing the 3G to fully restablish connection before powering the phone off. I noticed that if I allowed some time for it to turn 3G on before turning off my phone I didn't have the problem in the morning. I don't know how much this will help other people, but hopefully it will help a bit.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to say this has been a problem for me too. It seems to be a coverage issue. I work on a college campus where they recently took a verizon tower offline. Ever since then, my signal is weak while at work. If I lose 3G for a significant amount of time, it goes away completely and I have to reboot. It's also causing really bad battery drain. My phone if it isn't plugged in doesn't last 12 hours.

I never have this problem at home where I get great signal. I'm hoping the get this tower thing settled, because it's really frustrating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones