Phone is Useless when the Phone Goes Silent Multiple Times a WeekGeneral

1. mss12

mss12 Well-Known Member

Has anyone anyone found a fix to the silent phone problem with 2.1...its outrageous and it happens to me multiple times a week, then I have to restart phone and wait 2 min before I can call that person back. Is there ANY solution to this?

Advertisement
  2. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

You know, you just reminded me that I haven't experienced the silent phone bug in about a week. I don't know what I'm doing differently though. There's definitely something that triggers it, but it's difficult to pinpoint since it always seems to happen at an inopportune time (when I can't plug in my phone and debug it).
  3. emerica243

emerica243 Well-Known Member

How i feel aswell, going to be selling this and getting something new.
  4. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

I haven't had the silent phone issue since I rooted. weird since root is based off the leaks
  5. I had my phone run for 500+ hours without a restart and was thinking the same thing. Then I restarted my phone and it happened again. This was within the past two weeks or so. I could go in an out of calls, no problem. I always waited for it, but it never came back. Until I restarted.

It seems phone calls are what trigger it. If you don't get a phone call for the first critical hours (dunno how long it is) then you're fine.

Yes, stupid, I know, but...what can ya do?
  6. mbarry55

mbarry55 Member

I came to post on this very issue because i *THINK* I may have narrowed it down, at least on my phone.

Do any of you with the issue use callFilter? It blocks unknown/private/specific numbers. I have a suspicion that it is causing this on my phone, because I *THINK* ive gotten to the point where my ringtones stop working immediately after CallFilter blocks a call. I haven't been able to fully test it yet as I work 10 hr days during the week so sometime this weekend I'm going to try it extensively. That though right now, is my #1 suspicion.
    androidized likes this.
  7. I do not.

I think someone should try it having not installed Google Voice.
  8. the_rhino

the_rhino Active Member

I have the same problem, unfortunately, I have not been able to find a pattern.
  9. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

I use CallFilter and was thinking the same thing
  10. theEastonator

theEastonator Active Member

I have the same problem. Happens once every couple of days, then I have to restart and call the person back. It's horribly annoying and I can't figure out what the hell is causing it.
  11. vtjiles

vtjiles Member

The calls from unknown numbers may be the trigger. I don't use call filter, but had it go silent the past few days (along with my alarm). Before that I swear it was at least a week or two without issues. Last few days I've had a couple numbers call that I don't have in my phone because I'm looking for a house.
  12. thenestor

I've never had Call Filter. Wait...does it always happen after a call to/from an unsaved number?
  13. deathratlehead

deathratlehead Well-Known Member

I know that some of you can't live without Sense, but for the sake of experimentation, use Home rather than Sense for a few days. I'm willing to bet you won't have the silent issue once. I was having it constantly until I switched to Home rather than Sense, and now it hasn't happened in over a week.
  14. the_rhino

the_rhino Active Member

I'll try that, I've used Sense, and I had been using HelixLauncher for the last couple of weeks.
  15. cornbreadfarts

cornbreadfarts Well-Known Member

Same thing happens to me. I don't have call filter or Google voice. I was thinking it was shuffletone for me. I'm gonna switch to home and see if that helps.
  16. I've been using Home since February. My phone goes Helen Keller on me constantly.

That's not the cause.
  17. thenestor

18. Mr.Slave

Mr.Slave Well-Known Member

I think its because this phone was rushed out to have a phone to release with the Moto Droid and it should have never been sold. Hence the EOL after 7 months on the shelf.
  19. mbarry55

mbarry55 Member

That's the thing though, at least for me, it doesn't kill ALL audio. *ONLY* my ringtones. Notifications and everything work fine. Is it possible ringdroid is somehow at fault?? I can't imagine, as it only makes the ringtone file and isn't running.
  20. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Why don't you guys just post appbrain lists and see what you all have in common? It would get rid of some speculation time at least.
    TDianna and chatch like this.
  21. thenestor

I think you are not having the same bug as the rest of us.

Today I finally called a number not in my phone book again, and sure enough, the next time I went to make a call I realized my phone was dead silent. I'm still not sure if that's the trigger.

This was a great opportunity, though: I wasn't in a hurry to fix it. I plugged it in and started the debugger (ddms). It's stuck in a constant loop, two or three times per second, with this error:

Code (Text):
    1. 04-22 12:42:58.585: WARN/AudioTrack(57): obtainBuffer timed out (is the CPU pegged?) 0x8eb58 user=00001468, server=00000000
    2. 04-22 12:42:58.585: WARN/AudioTrack(57): obtainBuffer timed out (is the CPU pegged?) 0x163810 user=00001468, server=00000000
    3. 04-22 12:42:58.585: WARN/AudioTrack(57): obtainBuffer timed out (is the CPU pegged?) 0x8de68 user=00001468, server=00000000
    This XDA post has the same symptom:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=6280968&highlight=obtainbuffer#post6280968

So it looks to me like the phone is stuck in an endless loop of trying to play some kind of media (a notification or ringtone, perhaps, since I'm not running any kind of music player), and it can't use audio for any other purpose while that's happening.
  22. schmiffly

schmiffly Well-Known Member

I love the Droid but this issue is so frustrating... Lets hope the Incredible has fixed this issu, the phone is the most important part!
  23. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

Mine has never done this
  24. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

That makes WAY to much sense...
  25. chatch

chatch Active Member

thats a damn good idea