phone keeps freezing upSupport

1. tgg1304

tgg1304 Well-Known Member

i cant really notice a pattern but it seems to freeze up several times a day. not for long, maybe 60 seconds max. any suggestions?

Advertisement
    :
  2. tgg1304

ok, im on to something. when i click the little phone icon on my home screen, it is here that i freeze up mostly. what i just realized is that once im on the screen with the keypad to make a call, if i select the contacts tab up top, it closes and goes right back to my home screen
  3. tgg1304

and it also kills my signal. my 3G icon goes to the no signal icon immediately. everytime
  4. Wally World

Wally World Well-Known Member

Have you rebooted/pulled the battery? Then clear the cache. Then do a master reset. Do it in this order if each attempt fails.

Wipe Cache-power phone off, hold power and home button in until character appears. Push hard search key-magnifying glass. Use volume buttons to select 'wipe cache data'. Press camera button to select. Reboot phone when done. Master reset uses same steps as above except choose wipe user data. Make sure you backup your contacts, apps, etc.
  5. tgg1304

reset scares me but , thank you
  6. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

Do you have task killer installed?
  7. Wally World

Wally World Well-Known Member

It shouldn't. Use backup assitant to backup your contacts. It will delete all your text messages and apps installed, but you can put the contacts back using the assistant-very easy-then goto Market and it will re-download all your apps. Takes about 10 minutes tops. I have done it 5-10 times already.
  8. tgg1304

advanced task killer
  9. tgg1304

is there anything else i need to back up. i have lookout and my back pro installed but honestly im not sure how to use them to their maximum effectiveness. nor am i familiar with restoring all my apps, data, settings, etc
  10. tgg1304

on another note, is there some kind of android diagnostics app that can scan your phone to see if u have any conflicts or issues?
  11. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

Do you have it setup to automatically kill apps? If so, I suggest uninstalling ATK and see if it stops the freezing. I used to have ATK with auto kill and it caused all sorts of problems with android 2.2. Needless to say I don't use it anymore.
  12. tgg1304

its not on auto kill and i hardly even use it
  13. tgg1304

final questions before i do a reset. will it erase my sd card? should i remove it 1st? will it roll me back to 2.1 or will i still have 2.2?
  14. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

No it will not erase you sd card. To be on the safe side you can remove it before the reset, but it shouldn't matter. And no it will not roll you back to 2.1.
  15. tgg1304

the strange thing is, i thought i backed up all my apps to my sd card but when i go into manage application and select "on sd card" there is only 3 apps there, not 50 something like there should be. where are they then?
  16. tgg1304

so i did the hard restart and so far my phone seems ok. maybe i wasnt totally prepared for this but im still missing some of my apps and my settings are completely askew. been trying to restore everything for about 4 hours now.