• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone keeps freezing

siblues

Sep 27, 2015
I recently downloaded the ATT update and today I started experiencing a few issues with my Note. The first issue it keeps freezing. The first time it locked up for twenty seconds and was unresponsive. The second and third times it only froze for few seconds and they all happened doing different things. I already cleared the cache and hoping that will cure that problem. The second problem was the weather app is set to current location and I'm from New Jersey but it keeps showing Xiangyang China?

My phone is basically all original and yeah it was a software update. Well I do have a few apps but I don't have anything that would interfere with the phone no launchers or Tasker or anything of te sort. The weather app is the AccuWeather app that came with the phone.

Upvote 0
Have you tried clearing the data on the weather app? Ultimately you may have to reset it if it keeps up or becomes unbearable esp if your storage is still good! If you do I would make sure everything is backed up! You can also wipe the cache partition and see if that helps before a full wipe! Volume up n power normally n then put your phone in Android recovery wipe cache! You won't loose any data this way but its good to do after system updates!

Reactions: KOLIO and siblues
Upvote 0
I totally get that I mean no device is perfect but this is the worst case I have ever had with a phone.I really like this phone but if it continues to act this way I don't know if I can stand it.I continue to have the unresponsive issues even after everything you recommended and it seems to be getting worse now every now and then when I try to open an app it will try to open it then freeze on a black screen and will stay there indefinitely until I press the power button or home button.

Upvote 0
I have done some research on this issue and it seems pretty common and alot of people are saying that it is due to Samsung Pay?I hope thats not the issue since I have been using it with great success and am extremely happy with teh app.
Are you contemplating returning the device & getting something else?
I wouldn't blame ya,a phone that freezes up on a regular basis would be a return candidate for yours truly.
Bugs are one thing,this is not acceptable,at least not in my book.
Sammy may very well be working on it,but,don't hold your breath for any official/definitive statements regarding such forthcoming.
Samsung apparently has an allergy to straightforwardness/direct candid dialogue................... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Yeah but I'm past my return date I believe and the only thing Att will do now is swap it out. I wish I could swap it for the nexus now but like I stated before I really like the phone but this just seems lgoing wrong with it in the Ike too much is going wrong in the first thirty days you know.

Upvote 0
Yeah thanks for that. I'm really dissapointed. My HTC was a dream to own never had an issue. I kept hearing from a friend how great the note was so I got one. This thing is having all sorts of issues now whenwhen I scroll upup and down pages quickly by flicking it scrolls for a few seconds then pauses ffor a few seconds then starts scrolling again. It feels like a phone that's been used forfor years and starts getting sluggish doing anythng.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah thanks for that. I'm really dissapointed. My HTC was a dream to own never had an issue. I kept hearing from a friend how great the note was so I got one. This thing is having all sorts of issues now whenwhen I scroll upup and down pages quickly by flicking it scrolls for a few seconds then pauses ffor a few seconds then starts scrolling again. It feels like a phone that's been used forfor years and starts getting sluggish doing anythng.
I hear ya regarding HTC's smoothness,justwish they'd put out a 5.2-5.5" device forall of us.
As for the Note5,it should get Android 6.0 relatively soon,hopefully,it'll be a smoother/better experience for you.

Upvote 0
Contacted ATT today in regards to a replacement and the person I spoke to said the only option I have is to replace the phone.The problem is my phone is 24 days old so if I replace it I get a certified pre owned unit and I lose my 12 month guarantee for a 90 day warranty instead.I am extremely pissed at AT&T and Samsung at the moment.I really thought they would do better at helping me out considering I have been with them for more than 13 years.

Upvote 0
Haven't had any issues so far after the second reset.The only difference is the second time around I manually installed all of my apps and settings.The only thing I installed off of a backup were the contacts.I did lose the ability to sync my facebook contacts but that seems to be a widespread problem so no worries there.

Upvote 0
I'm going to suggest that manually reinstalling the apps you want has avoided the problem that was hiding in your backup files.

I'm using a Samsung S5 and it works great, but wanted to get a Note because of the larger screen size... but when my contract ran out, the $99 promo on the Note was gone.... and I got the S5 for $99 instead.

as an aside, I just bought my daughter a HTC One M9 for her 1st Android experience.
Why the M9? because of the loud, dual, front facing speakers: she likes movies a lot.
The speaker audio on the S5 is the pitts.

Reactions: siblues
Upvote 0
Well I had to contact AT&T again regarding another issue with the phone and it's getting replaced.The young woman I spoke to said the other person I spoke to was incorrect in stating that I would only have a 90 day warranty so that took care of the warranty issue.The reason my phone is being returned is the smart stay function isn't working on my phone.The phone doesn't even display the icon in the notification area.I hope I just had the unfortunate luck of getting a malfunctioning unit since I really like the look and feel of the phone and it seems to have really nice features too.

Reactions: KOLIO and amarie82
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones