phone keeps reading text messages out loudSupport

Last Updated:

1. Doc_Stew

Doc_Stew Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all-

My phone has recently started reading my texts out loud. I have tried EVERYTHING and can't figure out how to turn this off!

Even though I have my phone on silence, everything is silenced except for when I get a text message. During a meeting my phone was announcing "text message from...".

Please help!

Advertisement
    davehaze likes this.
  2. tyler79durdan

tyler79durdan Well-Known Member

Settings->Language and Input->Deselect text to speech output. Uninstall it if possible.

Hit the thanks button if i helped.

davehaze likes this.
  3. Doc_Stew

There is settings->voice input & output->text to speech settings
    Under there, there are NO settings to deselect text to speech output

It has:
    Listen to an example
    Always use my settings
    Default engine
    Install voice data
    Speech rate
    Language

Under Language & Keyboard, there are no text to speech options.

???

4. Doc_Stew

I've tried deleting all my Smart Actions profiles just in case it was some weird setting, and still it's not working.

This. is. DRIVING. ME. CRAZY!

I wonder if my phone is defective...?

5. jayDInc

jayDInc Well-Known Member

Check Settings->Accessibility and make sure Voice Readouts is off

6. SeeEss

SeeEss Member

Get this - since I upgraded to ICS, my text messages are read out loud to me. But only from certain people. This has real possibilities, like when I am in the car, using hands free. How would I set the phone so I could speak and send a text while driving? How could I set the phone so ALL text messages are read to me?

7. shelland

shelland Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of the answer to this with the stock phone, but there are apps available.

Vlingo has a Car option that you can enable/disable with the push of a button.

8. CGC

CGC New Member

I had this problem also. A woman's voice would ask to read my texts. But it wasn't consistent. It was very unpredictable. I asked the store for help, they suggested switching my texts to Hangout to see if that would help. It didn't. I figured it out by accident. I got an update for Motorola Assist. Didnt realize iI even had it. I opened it, clicked "driving" & unchecked the box that read "read my texts". Bingo! I'm pretty sure this took care of it. I did this just 5 min ago.

9. ash124

ash124 New Member

i want to have voice prompt in my android app.., i have used the text to speech program for this, that program will take user input in the form of edit text and then speak out that text, i want to use that program for voice prompt like when the time is set it will speak out this phrase " your time is set to" and the new time which is set by time picker like 08:00,so it should speak like "your time is set to 8 o' clock" can anybody help me out in this please ??

10. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

Welcome to Android Forums.

The following Tasker profile says "The time is xxxxxxx" each time the time or date is changed ...

Profile: tlaSayTime
    Event: Time/Date Set
    Enter: Anon
    A1: Say [ Text:The time is %TIME Engine:Voice:default:default Stream:3 Pitch:5 Speed:5 Respect Audio Focus:On Network:Off Continue Task Immediately:Off ]

... Thom