• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone keeps rebooting.

I absolutely despise this phone now.. and Virgin Mobile....

I read on another forum that if you remove the time/weather widget, that will fix the automatic restarts. I did that and it stopped restarting every hour or so (whenever it was checking the weather). I was soo happy for a while...

But, the phone still restarts on occasion.... usually at least once per day and sometimes it gets stuck on the HTC start-up screen -- resulting in a dead batter y by morning.

Anybody have any ideas? I contacted VM and they said they are out of stock of replacement phones. I re-contacted them to get a refund. I see the iPhone 4S will be available for sale on VM in a few weeks.... I'm so sick of this HTC piece of crap.

Upvote 0
Well it is completely up to you on what you wish to do, however, do not give up entirely on this phone. It truly is a marvelous piece of equipment when it does in fact work correctly :p. I too have gone through 2 of them due to rebooting / freezing issues. Not every phone is perfect and with the massive amounts of phones being created, there are bound to be a few duds here and there, and sadly I got 2 in a row lol. If you want you can get a refund and purchase it from a local VM store/dealer or Best Buy and if worst comes to worst can always return it to that local dealer/store for a refund. Or you can choose to wait a bit and get the iPhone, however, that is completely up to you.

Do yourself a favor and steer clear of RadioShack though, they are the worst company I have ever dealt with and have extremely poor customer service and imbeciles who work there and do not know what they are doing.

Like I was saying earlier though, do not give up on this phone just yet. It is actually really great and I would highly recommend exchanging it for another one if you have rebooting and freezing issues where the battery has to be pulled. It will not get better over time and if you wait too long then you are stuck with it. At least you have 30 days to keep swapping them out xD

Upvote 0
i had the same Problem Day 2 .. After looking it over its the battery i put Some tape on the back left side of the battery and have not seen that problem again
For some reason the battery does not make good contact on the pins i tap right on the battery and bam the phone cut off it has a 1mm to 2mm gap there I hope this helps some guys out here .. Other then that the phone has work great mine is a sprint Logo one

Reactions: davidtb
Upvote 0
Okay. Now it's painfully obvious that this phone won't work out for me.

It reboots by itself when it's not on charge. When it's on charge it's fine.

It reboots on 4G and 3G, It even reboots in airplane mode.

Once it reboots a few times it just stays off until I pull battery and restart.

To be honest, I'm super stressed now because I'd been waiting for this phone only for it to be a dud. Do I have any options or do I just have to return it and wait for 5 more days for it to release in the stores?

What a pain.

Anyone in development know anything about this issue.
It shows something like HTC_shooter error.
If it says HTC Shooter error then most likely its the phone itself but if you have a case take it off because Sprint branded Evo 3d's have sensitive power buttons im not sure about VM branded but same thing may apply

Upvote 0
If it says HTC Shooter error then most likely its the phone itself but if you have a case take it off because Sprint branded Evo 3d's have sensitive power buttons im not sure about VM branded but same thing may apply

I ended up exchanging it. I couldn't figure out if it was software or hardware.

Either way, This new one has no reboots at all. No errors either. Only thing it's kept is the insane signal fluctuations but..

I thought I'd say that it's doing the same thing on the Boost handset, The Evo Design 4G. I think it's them working the bugs out of the network....

Upvote 0
I ended up exchanging it. I couldn't figure out if it was software or hardware.

Either way, This new one has no reboots at all. No errors either. Only thing it's kept is the insane signal fluctuations but..

I thought I'd say that it's doing the same thing on the Boost handset, The Evo Design 4G. I think it's them working the bugs out of the network....
While working on a rom for the Optimus V the other day I noticed it fluctuating as well.

I agree, I think it may be the network itself.

Reactions: septembersrain
Upvote 0
Okay. Now it's painfully obvious that this phone won't work out for me.

It reboots by itself when it's not on charge. When it's on charge it's fine.

It reboots on 4G and 3G, It even reboots in airplane mode.

I have the same problem, and it's still not resolved. If I leave it out and alone, no cover, it's fine. If I put it in my pocket, no matter what, it reboots, screen blackens or freezes, but it's that damn embarrassing boot start-up tune that either annoys or scares the livin' s*&t outta me.
I have a replacement "uber-battery w/ case, it's worse (eBay, 6 bucks, you get what you pay for) my phone gets hot, not burny hot, but PD warm. I'm thinking that may be the issue, but using a bracket in my car, with the AC blowing right on it, some of the same issues, only less so. The screen changes from low level to bright on charge too.
I called VM today and after 20 mins on various holds, they're sending me another one (got mine on June 5th, but I don't think they care) I did buy it from VM, and I didn't bite on their insurance.
:thinking:
db.

ps. if someone is in the 518 area code, could you please direct me to a place that has 4g just so I know it works, for my 10 bucks a month.

Upvote 0
JR2673 NAILED IT!!!
I pulled the cover off and cut a shim (1/4" X 3/4", and trimmed it so it fit inside the cover) from one of those phoney credit cards from wherever. and placed it in the opposite corner from the battery contacts (lower left, horizontal) and one on the side of it, (lower left, vertical) so that the battery is pinched up tight to the contacts. no more heat, no more embarrassing reboots.
THANKS JR

Upvote 0
Mine was having the shooter error. I exchanged it and hasn't frozen or rebooted in over 5 days now. On the second day, I couldn't get a network signal, just sat there with the x over the bars. Had my wife's Optimus right next to it and it had signal. Rebooted mine and it came back up with signal. That's the only issue I've had since the exchange.

Fingers crossed! Love the phone!

Upvote 0
JR2673 NAILED IT!!!
I pulled the cover off and cut a shim (1/4" X 3/4", and trimmed it so it fit inside the cover) from one of those phoney credit cards from wherever. and placed it in the opposite corner from the battery contacts (lower left, horizontal) and one on the side of it, (lower left, vertical) so that the battery is pinched up tight to the contacts. no more heat, no more embarrassing reboots.
THANKS JR

I had tried this on my first handset [found the info in an Evo3D forum] This DID NOT fix my reboot issues...

Upvote 0
Mine started doing this today after I had recharged it. NEVER did it BEFORE activation(did last night), no wimax in my area(well few miles further N there is, but not here and still crappy 56k 3G excepting uploads(WTF?!)).

So, anyways, Sprint logoed(plain htc back cover) started rebooting every few minutes on me AFTER charging it today with a variety of combos of network settings: airplane, wifi, wifi + cell, 3G + cell, 3G + 4G + cell, blah blah plus GPS on/off, fastboot on/off, etc. ad nauseum... sometimes it reboots other times it just shuts down.

(It had been perfectly happy PRIOR to activation/swap no reboots/etc. and I had to go through two levels of their "help" desk to get it activated as it kept error-131ing when the first guy tried to do it...)

Constant rebooting is pretty insane...

(This is a black, re-iterate Sprint branded, plain back cover from BB... should have a 3500mah batt + cover here tomorrow to try o.w. -> factory reset and exchange at BB... then back to dealing with their "help" desk...)

Upvote 0
Mine started doing this today after I had recharged it. NEVER did it BEFORE activation(did last night), no wimax in my area(well few miles further N there is, but not here and still crappy 56k 3G excepting uploads(WTF?!)).

So, anyways, Sprint logoed(plain htc back cover) started rebooting every few minutes on me AFTER charging it today with a variety of combos of network settings: airplane, wifi, wifi + cell, 3G + cell, 3G + 4G + cell, blah blah plus GPS on/off, fastboot on/off, etc. ad nauseum... sometimes it reboots other times it just shuts down.

(It had been perfectly happy PRIOR to activation/swap no reboots/etc. and I had to go through two levels of their "help" desk to get it activated as it kept error-131ing when the first guy tried to do it...)

Constant rebooting is pretty insane...

(This is a black, re-iterate Sprint branded, plain back cover from BB... should have a 3500mah batt + cover here tomorrow to try o.w. -> factory reset and exchange at BB... then back to dealing with their "help" desk...)

My first one was activated immediately after purchase and before I'd even turned it on. So I can't ever know if it would have malfunctioned prior to activation.

I'd definitely do an exchange. I think some of these phones had incomplete or partially failed carrier related software updates. They are incredibly unstable.

I still don't think it's hardware related. My second phone has ran like a charm. Not one single reboot since I got it.

Upvote 0
My first one was activated immediately after purchase and before I'd even turned it on. So I can't ever know if it would have malfunctioned prior to activation.

I'd definitely do an exchange. I think some of these phones had incomplete or partially failed carrier related software updates. They are incredibly unstable.

I still don't think it's hardware related. My second phone has ran like a charm. Not one single reboot since I got it.
I think that I'm going to as I also noticed quite a bit of echo on the calls that I made with it, which I was going to check if I had turned something on by accident that was causing, then the constant/continuous reboot starting after I had charged it up for the second time(after activating).

Oddly enough the rebooting seemed to start happening when i was outside(VERY hot, was still c.93F @7p) still a device should be able to handle up to low 100s as it's WELL within reason to expect anything from 0F to 100+F operation temps in many regions over the course of a year. (And yes, I'll eventually see both, well maybe not 100+ but...) Doesn't seem to have rebooted again other than one time since I came back indoors last night...

I also noted that it seemed to be picking up "phantom" screen touches as I noticed while outside last evening that it would occasionally popup voice search all by itself, amongst other things.

Also note that all of this was happening while the V was sitting by itself on top of a slip on case that I'm temporarily using for it, i.e. nothing close to buttons, touching screen, etc. Just the bare phone.

I'm still thinking that I got a lemon though, so I guess if the batt doesn't come early enough today that I'll just factory reset, and hit BB up for a replacement.

I'm more inclined to hw failure, and am beginning to wonder if some of these might not be refurbs or reboxed returns of Sprint HTC Evo 3Ds, although the girl @ BB mentioned something about few returns of those.

(This is hilarious just thinking about the whingey little things that people whined about with the MT.)

Upvote 0
FYI. Just because your phone is ok for the first few days, doesn't mean you won't encounter reboot problems. I've had my phone for 2 1/2 weeks and it's operated flawlessly until today.

Last night battery was about 85% charged when I went to bed. Got to work this morning, checked my phone and the battery was down to yellow and the phone was very warm to the touch. Couldn't figure out why it used so much battery overnight and was hot, as it hasn't been before. Then in next 1/2 hour my phone proceeded to reboot twice. Figured it must have reboot at least a few times (or more) overnight to drain the battery and make the phone very warm.

So a couple weeks of perfection doesn't mean you're in the clear.....

Upvote 0
I had my Incredible for over half a year before it started to go into a reboot frenzy. After another few months of rooting, resetting and trying out custom roms I eventually returned the phone to VZW under warranty and got a refurb.

Life was good for another few months until it started again. I was tearing my hair out in frustration until one day it just stopped doing it.

I did have one morning at work when it started doing it during a meeting (and screaming out "Droid!" everything it did until I did a battery pull) but interestingly my colleague who had a Motorola also had the same problem at the same time! Spooky...

Since then it's been relatively OK with the odd reboot here and there - usually when I'm updating apps.

Being a different phone YMMV but thought it worth mentioning nonetheless.

Upvote 0
So far mine's been fine since Tuesday evening, so I decided not to exchange UNLESS it starts happening again soon. Made some calls on it yesterday(tryig to use it to see if I could trigger that reboot cycling again which was nearly constant and more than a "few" times) and sound quality was fine(i.e. no echoing). Also got in my 3500mah Anker and since the V seemed to be behaving decided to try it out.

Charged it up, left cell/3G on since, made more calls, used wifi and GPS a bit, plus played some fairly demanding 3D games a bit(Block Story, etc.) no reboots and was at 79% about an hour ago with an uptime of about 17h ro so so far. Pretty good AFAICS v. stock batt even with 1st charge & light-moderate usage PLUS best of all: NO reboot cycling.

(I'm beginning to think that VM/Sprint were screwing with their network in my area Tuesday night as when I activated mine(had to do by phone as web was fail) the 2nd level guy mentioned that their network wasn't really "ready" for the Vs yet which was why web page activation was failing amongst other things. (I had to do the same with the MT but at least then I was one of the first people to have one they didn't even have the little pix to show up in your account yet...)

Upvote 0
I had tried this on my first handset [found the info in an Evo3D forum] This DID NOT fix my reboot issues...
Well I did not search for info on it... i just used my brain lol... why would i tap the phone and it would turn off .. and then after looking close and i mean close that i took the phone apart and put it back together and it still did the same thing lol until i look closer and saw the battery was not making good contact .. I was just sharing my Experience In Hope To Help Other ..
JR2673 NAILED IT!!!
THANKS JR
Im Glad it work out.. Mine been workin great and has not giving me another problem since.

Upvote 0
FYI. Just because your phone is ok for the first few days, doesn't mean you won't encounter reboot problems. I've had my phone for 2 1/2 weeks and it's operated flawlessly until today.

Last night battery was about 85% charged when I went to bed. Got to work this morning, checked my phone and the battery was down to yellow and the phone was very warm to the touch. Couldn't figure out why it used so much battery overnight and was hot, as it hasn't been before. Then in next 1/2 hour my phone proceeded to reboot twice. Figured it must have reboot at least a few times (or more) overnight to drain the battery and make the phone very warm.

So a couple weeks of perfection doesn't mean you're in the clear.....

Mine wigged out like that once too. Got real hot, eventually rebooted. I pulled the battery and it went back to normal. Yesterday, it didn't get hot or reboot, but it was acting funny. I was listening to music, and it started making some weird beeping, when I looked at it the voice activated search was active, and then I couldn't make a call, had to update profile to restore service. Happened to my wife's yesterday too, at about the same time. Hopefully they figure it out and get a fix out, sounds like something is wonky on the vm software. Other than those 2 instances though, it's been perfectly normal...??? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to believe that the rebooting problem is caused by batteries that don't quite fit well enough into the craptacular "pry-off-the-back-plate"(TM) design, as I had low power(i.e. unuseable) here for a few hours yesterday evening and my phone rebooted once with the Anker 3500mah & back plate, and then later the phone would NOT power on, so I thought that the batt was dead(still on 1st charge of the 3500mah). (Got in ALOT of HEAVY use surfing the web, checking the outage area, etc. as not much to do with no power other than read, listen to the radio, or play some games on my nb...)

So shortly afterwards, power was back to normal and I plugged in the phone... nothing, unplugged, replugged, still nothing. So I decided well this might be like my MT when it stopped charging and I got it to charge once by pulling batt then re-inserting it, so I pry off the back(%#^^#*&@^*@ fscking #%^&#&%^T*@Q( design!) and bam the battery plops out, so I'm guessing that yes, the Anker battery also does not fit quite right and the first(and only reboot in several days) likely happened when the batt lost contacts with the pins in the case momentarily and then when it wouldn't power on at all, it had managed to away from the pins period as since I re-inserted the battery(no charge needed still @ 60% and I need to run it dry) it's been fine again since.

i.e. if this happens again I might try some shims around the batt part of the case to see IF that stops rebooting...

NOTE: There is a itty bitty teeny weeny flaw in my theory however, when it was rebooting almost constantly the other evening it was just sitting on the slip on case not moving, which would tend to negate the "losing" "contact" with pins theory as there was no force in play to cause that to happen, v. last night when I was actively using it/moving it.

Upvote 0
Is anyone who is experiencing random reboots or reboot loops using Go Launcher EX? I didn't have any problems until the day GL v3.05 was released. After a manual reboot the phone went into a reboot loop which I finally ended after reinstalling v3.03 over top of 3.05. This solved the problem for a couple days and then it started again. So today I reset the phone and reinstalled all my apps with the exception of GL and any related apps. So far so good.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add my own experience of the randomly rebooting problem.

I had rebooting where i would use it just fine, but then either while it was in my pocket/on my desk it would just reboot for no reason. It would do this fairly regularly, every few minutes or so. I tried factory resets, uninstalling everything, etc with no effect. I did notice however a huge power difference every time the reset happened, it would power down at around 70% then boot back up with 60-65%. I was racking my brain with why this was happening, as I bought this phone from best buy, and not virgin themselves.

I tried doing the whole shim thing, cutting up a portion of a credit card and sliding it between the battery and the phone to make the contacts hit the battery better, and i haven't had a reboot since. Its been at least 5 hours. I usually run into a loop by now.

I'll keep posted if it actually holds as a fix or not for me.

Upvote 0
I was not yet using Go Launcher when my 3VO was rebooting. In fact when rebooting I was able to factory reset my phone and it continued rebooting. I even had reboots with the battery cover off the phone (nothing against the power button).

My new phone has rebooted once or twice when I connect the mhl HDMI converter. Otherwise it is stable. I didn't baby this phone, just installed all the apps I had from my MT. A few days later I wanted to know if Go Launcher used less power and I changed to it and Go SMS.

No problems in the two weeks I have had the 2nd phone. I believe that there are just a lot of bad phones. I would suggest buying from a local business with a return policy, for anyone buying one.

That said, I do feel that the phone is worth the effort. Stock it is better than the MT was with the best ROMs. I think the screen was better, or at least more controllable for brightness on the MT with CM7. Every other way the HTC wins.

Upvote 0
Well, you all have about talked me out of this phone. :eek:
I have my reliable contract AT&T Note, but was looking for a good second Boost or Verizon pre-paid phone, and I had my eyes on this one solidly. But because I had such a horrrible reboot problem with Boost's Warp, I am not willing to go through that all again. I was truely hoping that The Evo V would be the the one.

Oh well.........

Upvote 0
Well, you all have about talked me out of this phone. :eek:
I have my reliable contract AT&T Note, but was looking for a good second Boost or Verizon pre-paid phone, and I had my eyes on this one solidly. But because I had such a horrrible reboot problem with Boost's Warp, I am not willing to go through that all again. I was truely hoping that The Evo V would be the the one.

Oh well.........

You do know most people's work just fine right? Out of all of these phones sold off course there is going to be a few defective ones. Mine is working great. Just buy from a local store with a return policy and you'll be fine. This isn't the Motorola triumph. That was a phone with major problems....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones