• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone keeps shutting off. Help please?

rmzd88

Oct 14, 2010
Hey guys,
Please excuse me if I am not specific enough because I'm still new to all this. Within the past week I've been experiencing some really weird things with my rooted Droid Incredible. My phone seems to shut off or start a reboot loop when I either multitask and use multiple apps at once or when I attempt to do something that is data intensive such as stream a video. It then either just boots up and once it gets to the home screen then reboots again or sometimes the phone will shut off, vibrate multiple times, then the green LED will start to blink. Once this happens the only way to get it turn on again is to pull the battery. I was using the stock 2.2 froyo with no issues until this randomly started to happen about a week ago. I thought it might be an issue with the rom so now I am currently running the 2.2 with the Uncommon 1.1 rom, baseband: 2.15.00.07.28, kernel: 2.6.32.15-gb7b01d1 htc-kernel@and18-2 #1, build number 3.21.605.1 CL231334 release keys. Sorry for any unnecessary info, I just wanna give as many details as possible to hopefully get some help.

My phone has been rooted for awhile and I never had problems. I had been on the stock leaked 2.2 rom without any problems until this starting happening. So I switched the rom to uncommon hoping that would fix the problem. As far as my signal, I haven't noticed any difference, it's usually pretty good. I'm wondering if there could be a battery issue? That doesn't seem likely to me though considering the phone is only a few months old.

Upvote 0
Just in case it helps here is the info on the latest rom/kernel:
Android version 2.2
Baseband version 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel version 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16 htc-kernel@u18000-Build-149#1
Software number 3.26.605.1
Browser version Webkit 3.1
PRI version 1.28_002
PRL version 52011
ERI version 5

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I just miss how amazing this phone was before all this!

Upvote 0
Do you have a nand backup of the stock rom configuration you started out on? Also when you flash roms, do you use Titanium? If so, how do you restore apps, data, etc?

I had a backup of the 2.1, but still rooted. I flashed to that and still had the same problem. As far as apps/data I didn't have anything I couldn't just re-download so I am not using Titanium. I just use ROM Manager/Clockwork mod..speaking of which, when I was flashing the virtuous rom last night I got an error in clockwork. I'm sorry I dont remember the exact error, but I've seen it posted on here before.

Upvote 0
No prob just trying to troubleshoot this with ya :)

hmm...so you flashed back to your 2.1 rooted "backup" and with this setup you never had the reboot issue correct? But now you do?

When your flashing a new ROM setup are you doing a complete wipe? Data, cache, and dalvik?

Still doesn't make sense your getting this reboot issue with the 2.1 rooted backup which is the image you didn't have these issues with :thinking:

Upvote 0
I have the same problem - my phone will shut off and reboot without warning. I have read on here and xda. It seems like almost all droid phones and Roms experience this problem, so I don't think it is a software issue. The only consensus is either heat or battery. I have an Evo, so I think I am going to try a new battery and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
No prob just trying to troubleshoot this with ya :)

hmm...so you flashed back to your 2.1 rooted "backup" and with this setup you never had the reboot issue correct? But now you do?

When your flashing a new ROM setup are you doing a complete wipe? Data, cache, and dalvik?

Still doesn't make sense your getting this reboot issue with the 2.1 rooted backup which is the image you didn't have these issues with :thinking:

Yup, went back to the 2.1 backup I had and still experienced the same issue! Super weird..

You went from 2.1 to rooted and then to what? What was your progression to 2.2 and have you ever been on any version of 2.2 where you did NOT have this problem?

I went from 2.1 to rooted to the leaked 2.2 (obviously had to update the radio too)..I had absolutely zero problems with 2.2 for about a month until this started happening. I didn't download anything suspect, just a couple games like Angry Birds and such. And since the problem started about a week ago each rom/kernel combo I've had has had this problem.

I had my phone off all night with the battery pulled and have been using it so far today without any problems. I even streamed a video, but we'll see how it holds up when I'm listening to music/on the internet because that's when it usually shuts down.

I think I'm gonna order a new battery and see if that fixes the issue, any recommendations on specific batteries? I really appreciate all your advice and help guys.

Upvote 0
Just an update..now that I'm on the latest Virtuous ROM the phone seems to be doing better..it only shut down on me once this morning but then was fine throughout the day with the use of youtube, skyfire, music player, etc. Just wondering, is there a way to go back to COMPLETE stock to see if that fixes the problem?

Upvote 0
I tried a new battery and that did not work. It fixed it temporarily but then the same problem. My other theory is heat - so I used my phone until it starting the rebooting, put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes and then starting using it again. It did not reboot. Still testing this out and it is not practical since I am usually traveling when it happens, but at least I will know what is causing it. My phone had this problem before I rooted and on several different roms.

Upvote 0
Just an update - I have tried just about everything I can think of plus having a sprint tech help me and we can't find the problem. We have changed kernals, flashed new roms, restored the phone, etc. If the phone gets used a lot it reboots - about to buy a new phone I guess. Any last suggestions from anyone?

Upvote 0
No - had insurance the past 10 years with sprint and never used it. I cancelled it the month before this started happening. :) The sprint tech thought maybe it would be under warranty if we flashed it back to complete original status. I need my phone this week for work so I am waiting until next week to make a decision. It still makes calls and I can send text and emails, but if you try to use the web a lot, navigation, or use it for extended periods it will start rebooting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones