Phone LagGeneral

Last Updated:

1. mersh21

mersh21 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've noticed that my phone takes a bit to ring (about 3-4 rings on the other end) till it actually reaches my Eris. I tested it at work and called my phone from my work line and it took about 4 rings until my Eris started to actually ring. Is this normal or do I have an issue?:confused:

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

It is normal. There are settings you can change to try and make it shorter, but the results you are seeing are normal.

3. etherguy

etherguy Active Member

you have got to be kidding me. After 4 rings (normally when voicemail picks up) I hang up, if I do not have an intention to leave a message. How could it possible take that long?

4. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

This is supposed to change the amount of time that your phone checks the tower for a signal, thus causing you to get calls faster. Give it a try.

POSTED BY SMACKY

1. ##pst (##778)
    2. "000000"
    3. Modem
    4. Slot cycle
    5. When you're done exploring all the different options, be sure to hit "menu" and to save the changes. Don't back out as it won't save them.
    6. You will be forced to restart and the changes should be made.

I bumped it from 2 to 1. Waiting to see the effect on battery life. If it isnt bad, I'll bump it to 0. Maybe its placebo, but I feel 3G is faster for me. Probably not, but i like to pretend it is.

5. etherguy

etherguy Active Member

let me know how you make out with the changes. That would be a deal breaker for me if it is not changeable.

6. OfTheDamned

It is changeable and it can decrease the number of rings, but it doesn't really affect anything else.

7. etherguy

etherguy Active Member

It does actually. It changes the amount of calls I could be missing. Most people will hang up after the 4th ring, maybe even 5th. Which is not enough time for me to take it out of my pocket and answer.

I eagerly await the results of his test :)

8. mersh21

Thank you both for the tips. I'm gonna give them a shot in a bit and will let you all know what my outcome is. Much appreciated.

9. OfTheDamned

10. mersh21

aprazolam do I dial ##778 and hit send like I'm making a call? Sorry I'm a newbie to droid. Former BB user.

11. mersh21

Nevermind I figured it out. Well I did it and it did improve the call coming in faster. Now I will see how it effects the battery. I'll tell ya what....this phone is great but I am definitely not happy with the battery life so far. I just got the phone 2 days ago because I was so sick of the ancient BB platform. I hope it ipmroves. Thank you all for the help.

12. OfTheDamned

It does get better. Most of us can go for close to 24 hrs or more on a single charge. You just have to be mindful of what you have turned on and what you have running.

13. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

I changed the slot cyle on mine to Zero. I easily get 2 1/2 to 3 days of battery still

14. mersh21

Just out of curiousity how can I check to see what I have running and what's turned on? Sorry for the newbie questions.

15. OfTheDamned

You can download an app in the market, spare parts, that will show you useful information bout the battery and what is using it. When I was talking about stuff being on, I am talking about bluetooth, wifi, gps, etc. You can find all of that in settings. Turning those three off when you aren't using them will save you a lot of battery headaches. There are some other great tips in the Battery thread stickyed at the top of the forum too.

16. mersh21

YOU'RE THE BEST DEAR. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. IF I COULD I'D BUY YA A DRINK.:rolleyes:

17. OfTheDamned

You are most welcome.

18. alprazolam

Ok...so I've read both to turn it off and to leave it on. The leave it on crowd says that settings such as bluetooth and gps are in an inactive mode unless an app calls for it's usage. Any info on this?

19. OfTheDamned

I have left GPS on and not had any real problems, but others say that they have. Bluetooth on the other hand is constantly looking for something to connect with and that will drain your battery.

20. alprazolam

That's what I was thinking. Makes perfect sense. I turn that off when not using it. I leave GPS on. Sometimes I use a program and the satellite dish in the notification area has a blinking green signal with it. When I used ATK, I could kill all GPS tasks and even turn the receiver off and it would continue to blink. Didn't seem to affect my battery one way or the other though.

21. karib

karib Well-Known Member

Gotta love this forum. Did this trick and now my eris rings after one ring, instead of like 2-3. THanks!

22. Ryobi

Ryobi Banned

Here, gimme your number, lets test it.

23. hattrick

hattrick Well-Known Member

Thanks. Much better.

24. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Same here; tested it several times over a week now since I first saw this tip in another thread.

It was set at "2" stock, I put it at "1" for a while, that caused the rings to go from 2 or 3 to 1 or 2. Changed to "0" and that caused it to ring on 1 more often than 2, but 2 sometimes.

Battery life is not an issue at all with this tweak as I have the 1750 in now, but I doubt if it would have been a noticeable issue with the stock 1300 in there either.