Phone location app

Last Updated:

1. GClax24

GClax24 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey,

I'm looking for an app that'll help me find my phone via GPS without always having to have GPS enabled. I have Wave Secure and it doesn't have an option to turn my GPS on remotely, Lookout Mobile Security is the same way and Where's My Droid app requires GPS to be previously enabled.

The Internet location ability's accuracy within 200-1000ft radius doesn't seem useful if my phones stolen. I don't think walking from door to door, trying to listen in on each house for my alarm would work out too well.

Any app that could turn my GPS on remotely via codeword text or Internet site would be extremely useful. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

You may already know this, but enabling GPS in the settings doesn't turn the GPS on, it just makes it available for apps to use. Enabling the GPS won't drain your battery and the actual GPSr unit in the phone will not energize unless asked to do so. If you enable this setting, then any of the apps that you mentioned should work fine for you. You may also want to look at Lookout; it work great for me. www.mylookout.com.

BigRedGonzo

GClax24 likes this.
  3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Folks can also lock in Lookout Premium for just $1 the first year if they download and sign up before midnight on November 15th. It's a great service, and I really like the LOCK feature. Great if your phone is lost or stolen! :)

4. GClax24

GClax24 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I didn't know that, I just assumed it'd drain my battery. I should know better than to assume by now :DThanks for the help!

5. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

Mobile Defense, though in closed beta right now, can kick GPS on remotely if installed "as a system application" - need to be rooted - which I do which they detail how to do on their support forum.

6. tjo51285

tjo51285 Member

Hey,

I have an app that's a phone finder, that from my users' feedback does quite well with the GPS location. I know phones are different from device to device, but ours is typically accurate to within about 10m if not better. It's got real-time location updates on either the Google Map function, or the Radar screen function so that you can see where you are exactly in relation to your phone, basically "turn by turn". Ours kills your volume upon enabling it too, so you don't remember to turn it on after you've silenced your phone, it IS what silences your phone. When you're done, and want your phone to have volume again, you just "go normal" by turning the app off and all of your volumes are back to whatever they were before you silenced. It's done by the same tried and true "secret code" SMS message to make your ringtone go, which you can also choose. It's called Fone Phinder (see what we did there?) and you can get to it by searching 'MTR' on the Android Market. If you check it out, let me know what you think!

tjob
    Apps:
    Fone Phinder
    My Phinder
    Phriend Phinder