• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone locking = Annoying

From another forum:

Although Matt says it kinda forcefully, as a longtime user of pda phones i agree with his assesment. The lock timeout is ridiculously quick. Users of phones that have OS expect a certain level of sophistication. I find the lock insulting and childish. I too want to like this phone but alot of the features are primitive for a first tier phone. I was glad to get out from under the microsoft and apple thumb but now i feel like im playing for the "B' team.Alot of us users came to the G1 expecting the basics of a PDA style phone but many features are lacking. The apps are far from professional..i know all users would be willing to pay for real apps that work instead of free apps made by people name "froggy" and "Starfire". The effort is well intentioned but its not truly a prime time effort. Simple features that I can find in my kids $49 phone are beyond the reach of this phone. We are all trying to look on the bright side but truth be told, the G! functionality is not comparable to its competitors. I want to support a new player in the PDA field but I also need a phone that i can use in real world conditions. That lock is a small thing that gets more and more annoying as i do business day to day.Any one who has ever had a non-flip phone is aware to turn it off or lock it. The G1 lock disrupts my flow of use.menu-menu is a pain in the butt over a period of time and non productive.

Upvote 0
From another forum:
I completely agree. I want to love this phone (Captivate). I have 5 days left to make my final decision on keeping it. I have purchased CompanionLink to sink DejaOffice, purchased Documents to Go to read my Word docs and pdfs, purchased TouchDown so I could get my work email, and spent hours and hours getting it set up to do business like I did on my Blackberry Bold. The screen is gorgeous and I love the swype keyboard. The auto locking is very frustrating and trying to turn it off is why I ended up in this thread. The phone is really more of an entertainment phone than for serious business use. I have no interest myself in making apps and would like to have applications that are professionally done and not buggy.

Upvote 0
Update! I found in the AT&T forums a message that recommends a free app from the Android Marketplace called "No Lock" that will disable automatic locking. It creates a small problem for airplane mode but seems to work for disabling the autolock and swype actions. Now you just push the side button to wake it up. :)

Upvote 0
I have the same problem and it is annoying. It is the reason I came to this forum seeking a solution. After reading all the above, it appears no solution has been found and I will just have to await a software update fixing it. AutoLock is nowhere to be found in the user manual or on the settings menu of my phone. The only solution seems to be to keep the phone from locking in the first place but that defeats the security settings I would like in the event I lost the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones