Phone locking up on boot.Support

Last Updated:

1. voogru

voogru Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,
    I woke up today to see that my phone was locked up. I removed the battery and let it reboot, it goes back to the lock screen I have, shows the time/cell status.

And then it immediately locks up.

I'm able to get it into recovery mode and I wiped the cache, but no dice. I don't want to reset the data because I have some important sms messages that I'd like to back up, but I can't access the data folder in recovery mode it seems.

Is there a way to backup the data folder in recovery mode? Or another way to get the phone to not freeze on startup? I'm assuming something just got corrupt.

I am able to connect to it via ADB in recovery mode just fine, but can't pull my data directory or use the su commands (permission denied).

FYI: Phone is stock, except I did root it.

Bounty: $20 to anybody's paypal account if their advice helps me recover data.

Advertisement
  2. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

I was curious about SMS technology, so a little Googling came up with the following. It's from PC Mag and is very old (note reference to Cingular), so I have no idea how it applies in today's world.

SMS (Short Message Service) text messages are not sent in a peer-to-peer-style manner. In other words, SMS-enabled phones do not connect directly. Text messaging is a store-and-forward technology. One person types a message and sends it to the service provider (Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.). The provider then sends that message to the intended recipient. This is much the same way e-mail works. And in most circumstances, there's some record of the information contained in these messages left on the server.

The article goes on to say:

It's worth checking with your cell-phone service provider to see what kind of SMS storage policy it maintains.

And finally:

This was cast into the light when the defense in the Kobe Bryant sexual assault case announced that they may investigate text messages sent among Bryant's accuser, a former boyfriend, and another friend.

It's a stab, but since there have been no replies I figured what the heck.

If the above is of any value, pick a charity for the $20.

3. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

^^^ in order to get SMS history from ATT you will probably need a court order, or consent from both you and the other party with whom you were SMS-ing.

4. voogru

voogru Active Member This Topic's Starter

I was trying to extract the sms's from the local database on the phone, the phone was freezing on startup so I was hoping there was an alternative way at getting at the data when the phone was in recovery mode.

I was forced to reflash a stock phone over this and lost the messages.

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Bummer - well - this is too little and too late for this time - but maybe consider this just as insurance against next time? (And I hope there is NOT a next time - but - hey - it's a phone, we all know how that goes, yes?)

SMS Backup v1.1.1 Application for Android | Tools