• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone locks up recieving calls

BlueDC2

Android Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2010
Basic info to start: I am on leak v2, I have had it for weeks now with no problem until recently. Modem ping setting is at 2, stock dialer, not rooted. Helix launcher(don't know if this means anything)

Problem: Whenever I recieve a call, about 90% of the time it rings and rings and rings with a black screen, I hit the green answer button, and nothing. Then the message which is something like "process com.android.phone is not responding" with the option to 'wait' or 'force close'.

Obviously a simple force close should stop it, but these buttons are not responsive. It will continually ring for minutes until I do a battery pull. About 1 in 10 times it actually lets me force close.

I thought it could have something to do with nubdialer, so I uninstalled, rebooted, still has problems. Is there a fix for this? Why did it just start doing it recently, I've had the same settings for weeks and nothing has happened. Help me if you can :thinking:

I have had similar problems with the phone severely lagging out when receiving a call. Very slow waking and responding to the push of the call button. The behavior reminds me of a Windows system that's running out of RAM.

You may need to alter some call receiving settings as well as dial you slot cycle down a number or two. I am running at "0."
Clear call log
Stop with the fancy crap you guys like putting on there that changes lock screens and themes and all that jazz. Not on this phone. An Incredible, sure, but any more memory hogs on this phone and you're asking for trouble.

Upvote 0
I dont have many apps, and the problem still occurs with the slot cycle at 0. Does best buy do trade ins? If my phone cant function as a phone I might have to get rid of it. (I didnt buy it from best buy though.)

I have never heard of this. Why not take it to VZW?

Also I have no themes or anything fancy, I mostly use the phone for pictures, texting, surfing the web, and things like facebook and photobucket. This should not be happening.

You have Helix Launcher. I dunno what it does, I just read about it, but it alters something, no? Remove it.

Have you tried a hard reset? Back your stuff up and go for it before you take it to someone else.

Upvote 0
Here's my plan as of now:
-Hard Reset
-Only re-install apps I use/used more than a few weeks ago/need
-use sense instead of helix - if this fails I will use home

I will try to call my phone from a few different numbers - house, brother, sister, blocked number, and see if it still occurs after this. If it does, I will take a video with my brothers droid, maybe seeing it will help people help me.

Thanks for all the help and the fast responses you guys, I haven't been on here long but it really is a helpful community.

Upvote 0
Yeah, hopefully the hard reset works. If it does not, take it VZW and show them the problem...and honestly, if they start digging too far into the phone and a possibility of finding out your 2.1, call with another phone, or have someone do it for you. It may spook them and distract them from finding the firmware and simply getting you a new one.

Although, some people have sent their 2.1 Erises back. I think it was for faulty hardware like a blown speaker, though.

Upvote 0
Yeah, hopefully the hard reset works. If it does not, take it VZW and show them the problem...and honestly, if they start digging too far into the phone and a possibility of finding out your 2.1, call with another phone, or have someone do it for you. It may spook them and distract them from finding the firmware and simply getting you a new one.

Although, some people have sent their 2.1 Erises back. I think it was for faulty hardware like a blown speaker, though.

What do you mean it may spook them? Just by calling tech support from a different phone about MY phone?:thinking:

Upvote 0
What do you mean it may spook them? Just by calling tech support from a different phone about MY phone?:thinking:

If you go to the store and they start looking for firmware number. Sabotage the phone by calling it. It locks up, right? He may just give up and give you a new one and not go through the hassle of troubleshooting.

If you are doing this all over the phone, then I dunno. I was thinking you were going to the VZW store.

Upvote 0
If you go to the store and they start looking for firmware number. Sabotage the phone by calling it. It locks up, right? He may just give up and give you a new one and not go through the hassle of troubleshooting.

If you are doing this all over the phone, then I dunno. I was thinking you were going to the VZW store.

Oh yeah, I totally misunderstood you on that, wow :D

Anyway, I just finished resetting my phone to my liking after the hard reset. It was annoying but I had a good idea of my layout from my older screenshots from the SDK.

I just finished everything up, I'm going to do a few test calls from my house now, I'll report back in a few.

Upvote 0
Phone in 'sleep' mode:

Call 1 from home(unblocked #) - answered with green hard button - success
Call 2 from home(unblocked #) - answered with slide/soft key - success
Call 3 from cell - answered with green hard button - success
Call 4 from cell - answered with slide/soft key - success
Call 5 from home - hard red/end key to ignore - success

Phone in 'awake' mode:
Call 1 from home - answered with soft key - success
Call 2 from cell - answered with slide/soft key - success

I don't want to jinx it but so far so good. It looks especially good becuase it previously happened 90%-95% of the time.

I haven't messed with my slot cycle index, I haven't checked if that reverts back to '2' or 'stock' with a hard reset. I don't know if it is because of the reset, being on sense, getting rid of junk (non used apps/extra crap in sd card), but so far it works!

Upvote 0
Phone in 'sleep' mode:

Call 1 from home(unblocked #) - answered with green hard button - success
Call 2 from home(unblocked #) - answered with slide/soft key - success
Call 3 from cell - answered with green hard button - success
Call 4 from cell - answered with slide/soft key - success
Call 5 from home - hard red/end key to ignore - success

Phone in 'awake' mode:
Call 1 from home - answered with soft key - success
Call 2 from cell - answered with slide/soft key - success

I don't want to jinx it but so far so good. It looks especially good becuase it previously happened 90%-95% of the time.

I haven't messed with my slot cycle index, I haven't checked if that reverts back to '2' or 'stock' with a hard reset. I don't know if it is because of the reset, being on sense, getting rid of junk (non used apps/extra crap in sd card), but so far it works!

Hard reset fixes a lot of problems. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones