Phone locks while in a callSupport

Last Updated:

1. drummerboy

drummerboy New Member This Topic's Starter

Okay this is incredibly annoying. My Captivate locks while I am in a call. If I pull the phone away from my ear, the screen will stay blacked out until I press the power button. For a split second, the screen shows locked then automatically transitions to the phone UI.

Even if I use speaker phone, the phone eventually locks and I must depress the power button to end the call or dial other numbers.

Is this normal for this device? I previously owned the iPhone 3g and the screen would black out, but would come right back on when you moved the phone away from your face or if you just shook the phone a bit.

Any info or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Grut

Grut Well-Known Member

that's not normal behavior. Sounds like you have a bug in the phone. Can you take it back for a replacement?

3. drummerboy

I purchased it on Amazon about 3 weeks ago. So I'm guessing I can return it still. I'll check into it. I thought it was just normal behavior until this week when I used the phone a lot more and grew increasingly annoyed.

So normally, when I pull the phone away from my face while in a call, the screen should light back up and allow me to push buttons without swiping to unlock or depressing the power button 1st?

I love the phone by the way. So glad I switched. Although I'm still learning to use all the features vs my old iPhone. I do suffer from the GPS issue and have tried the fixes mentioned. The fixes seem to help but it still won't track GPS while I'm in motion. I guess there's a lag issue that some have been able to fix as well. I'll likely wait for Samsung to come out with a fix for both the GPS and the Lag issue. I haven't rooted the device, completely stock.

4. Smoghog

Smoghog Well-Known Member

My captivate does the same thing. Hasn't really bothered me, though, since pushing the power button to unlock the screen won't end the call or anything. I've had two captivates now and they both did that. Perhaps you could change your default screen timeout?

5. drummerboy

So I have two replies, one says their Captivate doesn't do that, the other says his does the same thing.

Any others out there that can chime in?

I did just change my settings to 10 minutes before blacking out. That should help on the majority of calls I hope.

Thank you.

6. plummy

plummy Active Member

+1

It seems like the sensor can't quite figure out when the phone is smooshed next to your face and when you're trying to look at the screen while in a call. The screen will flicker on and off when I'm on speakerphone and holding the phone in my hand.

I've also had my phone screen turn on while I'm in a call and the phone against my face, and my face somehow triggers the mute button and the person on the phone thinks the call got disconnected and they'll hang up before it dawns on me what just happened.

The screen doesn't lock, though. When the screen becomes active, its that in-call screen.

But I don't talk much on the phone (or any phone) so it isn't a huge deal for me.

7. Taero

Taero Active Member

Normally my screen turns off when making a call, to make it go back to the call screen (to end call, hold, speaker etc) I tilt the phone to about 45o to horizontal and it pops right back on.

8. Dile

Dile New Member

I have a Samsung Infuse, and I was having a similar problem. It was turning off the screen almost immediately after making a call and would be a hassle to keep turned on when using the number pad to navigate phone trees. The problem went away after I replaced the screen protector, I guess there was an air pocket or some sort of obstruction over the sensor causing the issue.