Phone Manufacturers USING AndroidGeneral

Last Updated: 2010-02-23 19:10:36
  1. Matlock

Matlock Well-Known Member

As I was browsing the Forums a few moments ago, I noticed an Advertisement for the Behold II and noticed it has the Android OS on it and a thought popped into my head..

Why did the Manufacture (Samsung) go with the Android OS instead of keeping with the Behold system it originally had? then it hit me......

The big Phone Manufacturers are USING the Android OS.. It's overkill. From what I see, they are being lazy and not developing their own new systems to challenge other companies to create better and more advanced phones.. They are relying on Google to do the leg work and labor to keep updating their Android OS to keep the companies ahead of the rest.

I am sure Google of course is making bookooldes amount of cash in the process, but come-on! Where is the friendly revelry among each other.. I dred what is going to happen to Google. If not a Monopoly, then being used up until the core is left.

But, that’s just that popped into my head.

Let me know what the rest of y'all think.

Advertisement
  2. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

Kind of like most WinMo phones (unlike the HTC ones that have Sense).

Kind of like most Qualcomm phones. Even though the interfaces are SLIGHTLY different, they are the same.

Android is so open for different homes, widgets, and things of that nature that I don't think it's a big deal. Just make good hardware that works with the software, a useable keyboard, etc.

Having a better touch screen, and having a brighter and better display, having a better camera, and having a better keyboard, are what make an Android phone better.

Android is amazing. Some of the things that companies have done with Android are gross. I might be thinking of the old Behold, where they put that Cube on the screen, to get to different things.

It's a terrible and much-hated interface.

Normal Android is an improvement, IMO.
    Matlock likes this.
  3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Google is making bundles of cash from $0 licensing fees from Android? Google has already said that the more people who use the web, the more money that they make. They aren't making anything off of Android (other than the revenues that they get from people surfing to websites that use Google ads, or using Google search to display ads, which would happen in the iPhone and WebOS as well, plus even Windows Mobile for anybody who uses Google search.)

Samsung using Android - leveraging on the fact that there are lots of developers out there that are learning Android - rather than using something proprietary is not a bad thing, if you ask me.

Take your question to desktop OS devices. You are basically saying that you think that HP, Dell, Asus, Toshiba, Acer, etc., should be developing their own desktop OS rather than using Windows. There is most definitely an advantage as a potential buyer of these systems when you know that apps written for Windows will run on these systems. (Of course, I use only Macs, which are made by Apple and run their own proprietary OS...)

In Mobile OSes, there are available alternatives for device makers - there is Windows Mobile, Android, MeeGo, Symbian, etc. etc. I just think it would be easier to get a device accepted if the potential buyer knows that it is using an OS that developers are actively creating apps for.

(Of course, I know nothing about the Behold at all, but I would think that Samsung has a bunch of talent porting Android to phone systems, so why support another system?)
  4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I like the fact that so many are adopting Android. The more devices we have running Android, the more people will end up using it and the more developers will create apps for it. Add to that the fact that companies aren't having to pay for the OS and it brings the cost of the phones down too. It is a win win for everyone the way I see it.
    Matlock likes this.
  5. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

not that i DONT like the OP profile pic...its just NSFW!!! :mad:
  6. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

o yeah i agree with this.
    also, if u look at winmo 7, they are being told what hardware to use!
    they cant change the OS!
    NO differentiators!
    here comes android...riding on its robotic horse to save the day! :)
    it will be skinned.
  7. arock

arock Well-Known Member

Didnt samsung announce at the mwc that they are going to be releasing their own phone os sometime soon? Could have sworn i read that somewhere.