Phone memory left after Velocity

Last Updated:

1. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I flashed velocity .3 on my wifes ally, and she only has about 30mb free memory left after only about 20 or so apps. She keeps getting notifications about not having enough memory. Is this rom that heavy?

Advertisement
  2. Cjohn8792

Cjohn8792 Well-Known Member

the rom leaves about 72 mb free space after install, Raptor is slightly more. But 20 apps seems like a lot to me without apps to sd, I only have maybe 10 or 15. Google Maps with a cache could take up like 10 to 15 mb alone.

3. netizenmt

netizenmt Well-Known Member

Did you by chance restore a backup? It could be a corrupted apk or data file causing the issue. It might also be an apps2sd issue. I had a similar thing happening with my phone. I finally resolved it by going into recovery and totally repartitioning my sdcard. I then copied the ROM zip file back to the phone and reinstalled it. Checked the memory after setup. Each time I restored a backup, my memory got eaten up before i could reinstall all my apps. At that point, I stopped restoring the apps and just went through the process of re-downloading them from the market. I know it's a pain in the arse, but once I finished this, I had 52 apps installed and about 60 MB free.

Hope this helps you out.

4. GRZLA

GRZLA Well-Known Member

The ally doesn't have the best internal storage, might I suggest apps2sd?

5. jreed2560

Haven't set up apps to sd, and flashing velocity was the very first thing I did. So there was no backup to restore. I personally don't think 20 apps is alot I had quite a bit more on my Eris. And I never come close to running out of memory. Of course I was running alloyisus rom with 120mb free space after install. So there is Raptor and Velocity. Is there any other choices out there? maybe one with a much smaller footprint?

6. jreed2560

otherwise how do you set up a2sd for the ally?

7. netizenmt

netizenmt Well-Known Member

Apps2SD is built into Velocity v0.3 and Raptor, so there is nothing additional to do. However, properly partitioning the SDcard is critical, and is where things usually get foobar'd.

I cannot stress enough the importance of starting off with a completely clean install. Some important things to consider:

1. Which recovery are you using on her phone? People typically seem to have fewer issues with Amon Ra rather than Clockwork.

2. Start with a completely clean SDCard. This means to partition it as 0 Swap, 512MB ext and the rest FAT. Convert the ext from 2 to 3 and then from 3 to 4. NOTE: This process wipes everything off the card. Copy anything important off to your PC first.

3. Clear Factory/Data cache, Cache, and Dalvik Cache.

4. Connect the phone via your USB cable and copy the ROM of choice back to the SDCard.

5. Flash the ROM zip file to your phone.

6. Reboot the phone and your phone should complete setup.

7. Go to Settings/SD card & phone storage settings and check the Internal phone storage Available Space. It's usually around 103 MB for Raptor, not sure what it is with Velocity v0.3

8. Now - and this is important - re-download and install the apps she wants to use. Why not restore from backup? All I know is some apk I had was obviously eating my storage space and redownloading them fixed the issue.

Doing things this way, I have 52 apps installed and 60MB free using Raptor.

Another thing that is in Raptor, may be in Velocity also, I don't know - Gscripts. It has a script you can run that will test apps2sd. If there is a problem, it will typically tell you there is no apps2sd or it is corrupted.

I can guarantee that if you follow these steps and there's not a problem with the physical sdcard or the phone hardware, you -should- see an improvement.

I hope this helps you. Good luck!

8. jreed2560

Thanks I will give this a try

9. Cjohn8792

Cjohn8792 Well-Known Member

Another thing to remember is some sd cards won't work or will only work briefly, you need the right one.