Phone not chargingGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Mongerty

Mongerty Member This Topic's Starter

I got home from a trip today, where my phone had been sitting at a low charge for a bit. I managed to get it a high enough charge to hold out, but it died by the time I was in my house and hooked it up to the charged.

The Amber LED is not lighting up like it is charging, which has me worried. I have switched between different USB cables, and also from the wall to a USB. Is it normal for the LED to not light up if the battery is absolutely drained?

Also, any USB mini cable should work, correct?

Advertisement
  2. EricB

EricB Well-Known Member

Yes, a mini USB cable will work just fine. Double check and make sure the wall charger is plugged in the wall all the way, and make sure all the cables are plugged in all the way, sometimes a loose connection can occur rather easily.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

You might try switching out batteries to determine if yours has become not chargeable, which can happen to a battery over time and many charging cycles.

Also, for the device to be able to charge, the connectors have to all be good: both ends of the cable, the charging port on the phone, the USB port on the computer if it's being used and the wall socket if that is being used (some dual wall sockets have one of the sockets "switched," most often the top one, which means dependent on a wall switch being turned on).

If all of those things are proven good, then your phone is defective at some point in the charging circuitry (given that the battery indicator is functioning and the LED has not somehow become non-functional.. moisture?, etc).

4. jruther2

jruther2 Well-Known Member

This happened to me once a few months back. Solution: I removed the battery and then popped it right back in after about 30 seconds. I then plugged in the charger and the amber LED came on. After about a minute I rebooted the phone. This hasn't happened again. Hope this helps.

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Battery removal, either with the device powered down or as a "live pull," can work for more than one reason.. sometimes only because the act of taking the cover off and dislodging the battery from the well causes what debris or moisture may have been present and blocking the charging contacts to fall out or evaporate.

6. KE4NYV

KE4NYV Well-Known Member

I have been complaining about this since the 2.1 upgrade. I use PDANet a lot and usually, by the time of the day that I pack up to head home, my phone is fully charged. Now, it won't charge via USB. Also, I have a lighter<>USB adapter in my car and it no longer charges on that as well.

However, my normal AC charger charges the phone fine.

I am convinced it's the phone's firmware.