• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone not installed correctly - help pls

My friend tried to connect my htc wildfire onto my laptop, but it hasn't installed properly.
There was a message saying "device driver software not successfully installed - device unplugged"
It seems, my friend unplugged the device before it could completely install, as he could not see anything happening.

I've tried to give as much info as possible, sorry if some is irrelevant, and pls ask if you need more.

I can't find my phone on the device manager.
I looked under all the headings and under "network adapters" it said "HTC remote NDIS based device" but I don't know if this relates to my phone, so I didn't want to tamper with it.

My tethering is switched on on my phone.
USB debugging is connected.
Tethering is switched on.

When I looked at "my computer" no new drive had been created for my phone.
When I looked at "my devices" on my computer, however, my phone was there.

It looks as if I need to somehow uninstall it and start again, but, given the above, I don't have a clue how.
I've also tried using another usb port and restarting my computer.

When I plug my phone in, it makes a sound, but no box appears like it should.

Also, I also noticed that it has added a network when I looked in my connections.I also noticed that it has added a network when I looked in my connections.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones