• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone not recognizing SD micro card

chesslover

Jan 14, 2015
Hello. I have smartphone that used to recognize SD micro had just ok. Then I had other problems and sent it for repair. When it came back it did not recognize the same SD card anymore. I get no sd card icon, no option to mount it in settings/storage, I can not save photos, download files (internal memory can not be used for that). So I sent phone back and they claim it is repaired, but my SD card is still not recognized. This SD card works just ok in other phone. I tried formatting it with card reader and PC (SD formatter 4.0), but no luck. I would think that phone is not ok, but what is bothering me is that when I inserted some other SD micro card yesterday, phone recognized it and said it's corrupt, do you want to fix it with formatting. I couldn't try formatting beacuse it was friends SD card and he had some files on it.

So my question - could it be my SD card is kind of corrupted or do you think I could get some other card working in my phone (maybe buying a new one?). I just don't want to send phone back again...

This SD card works without problems in other phone, so I think it's ok. I would blame my phone, but it recognized another SD card (as corrupt, but maybe with formatting inside phone I could use it)...

Maybe I was not clear before...SD card was successfully formatted in windows and with HP USB Tool...problem is, that my phone still doesn't recognize it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am still baffled as to why the card works in other phones but not in yours or Windows. As far as I can remember the HP Tool has to be run in administrator mode and will not run otherwise , presumably that's what you encountered and when run as administrator, the format failed?

Upvote 0
I tried formatting my friends SD card in my phone (SD card that my phone recognized and said it was corrupted + suggested formating) - but nothing happened...I got a menu with alert that I will lose all data while formatting and options "format" or "cancel"...I hit "format" but nothing happened. In the settings/storage menu I got option to mount SD card, but also nothing happened when I pressed that.

Upvote 0
It's the same 8GB Sandisk Ultra SD micro card, that worked without problems before I sent phone back first time. After I received phone this card didn't work anymore. Also I tried another brand new Sandisk (normal) 8GB card (was not recognized) + 3 another 2GB cards (1 not recognized, 2 supposedly corrupted, would not format them).

Upvote 0
Affected my cards? SD cards, that were recognized by phone and my phone said they were corrupted, worked just fine when inserted in another phone. No corruption issues there. So my amateurish guess would be, that there is something wrong in the hardware-software connection in my SD card reader. If SD card reader inside phone was physicaly damaged (hardware), it wouldn't recognize any card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones