phone not sleeping?Support

Last Updated:

1. sleipner

sleipner Active Member This Topic's Starter

I had pretty bad battery life today, took off the charger at 11:30, just plugged in at 15% 11 hours later, with a short charge in the car on the way to a late lunch. No text messages, no emails, no phone calls . I got a few apps off the market, did a little web surfing, & watched one 4 minute youtube video. This is my first Android phone, I had a HTC Touch Pro before this. BTW - The lack of comms today is because I'm not working right now, but in the middle of federal hiring process with the next appointment on the 13th, wish me luck. :)

Bluetooth, GPS, and wifi are always off. Screen brightness is left at the lowest level. This is all shown with the Power Control widget on a home screen. I also have the Samsung Program Monitor widget on the same screen, and nothing stays running. Auto sync is always off, I rarely actually use gmail. The stock email app is set to check two other email accounts every hour.

I tried a little test, but just don't know what to make of it. I have Battery Monitor and Android Manager Free installed. Whenever I mention Task Manager, I accessed it through AMF. Before beginning, I removed the Weather Channel widget from the home screen and terminated the app in the Task Manager. I had installed a BBC news app today, but uninstalled before testing; it automatically updated a couple times today and showed up in Task Manager after I terminated it. I made sure Background Data was turned off, I generally only turn it back on when I launch the Market (gives a popup saying it needs it).

I plugged the charger in with the phone at 26% charge, just for a minute to reset the last time unplugged. Using Battery Monitor (which apparently just shortcuts to the built-in Android battery monitoring screens found through Settings) I checked the status periodically, along with seeing what was active in Task Manager. Every 5 to 10 minutes I would press the power button to turn on the display, then check Battery history - Since last unplugged. I'd check the Task Manager, terminate Battery Monitor and AMF, then press the power button to turn the screen off.

As a last step, I put the phone into Airplane Mode, turned the screen off with the power button, waited a while, turned the phone screen on & checked the same info, then turned the radio back on and put the phone on the charger at 15% battery charge.

Every time I checked it was the same story with Running, always 100%.

Currently (phone on charger, numbers locked in for 'since last unplugged'), Battery History shows

Running 100%
    time spent without sleeping: 51m 5s (100%)
    Screen on 26.8%
    time spent with screen on 13m 42s (26.83...%).

The current Battery Usage log looks like this

Unplugged for 51m 5s

Display 65%
    time on 13m 42s

Cell standby 12%
    time on 41m 20s
    time without signal 1%

Phone idle 8%
    time on 37m 22s

Android system 7%
    CPU usage 2m 19s
    CPU foreground 9s

Android Manager Free 5%
    CPU usage 1m 47s
    CPU foreground 43s

Market 2% (I searched for 'sleep', wondering if there was something to force the phone to do so)
    CPU usage 40s
    CPU foreground 32s

Android OS 2%
    CPU usage 35s

The 10 minute difference between time unplugged and time on makes sense, since I waited that long after going into airplane mode before plugging in and turning the cell radio back on.

Now my flurry of questions. Does any of this look off? Is that a lot of standby time? Does it take longer than a few minutes for the phone to go to sleep after you press the power button, making this long post pointless? What about time spent Running, it was 100% for the 50 minutes, but it was also at 74% for the ~8 hours before doing this little test, again without any calls/emails/texts/games/movies/etc.

I'm sorry this post is so long, and appreciate any info.

Advertisement
  2. Araliss

Araliss Well-Known Member

Just a quick post as I'm on my way back to bed. :)

Yesterday I went to bed and when I got up my phone was completely drained and shut off. I kept it on the charger most of the day and it had 80% off the charger when I went to bed for 7 hours or so.

Yesterday also, It stayed awake. The screen wouldn't dim or turn off. I had it on the charger so it was kind of nice, but it did it off the charger too. I left it on with the screen showing for an hour before I rebooted. That fixed it and it would hibernate again. I also checked to see if there were any programs running that won't let the phone sleep. Nothing was running to explain why it wouldn't turn off.

3. sleipner

I powered it down and charged overnight, and now it is sleeping - running time only around 19% in the first hour with some checking, a text, a browser download, and the weather channel widget back.

Hopefully the problem can be tracked down and fixed. Turning my phone off & on isn't much of a solution.

4. sleipner

running time 11%, system estimates 145 hours on the battery with current usage. huge difference.