Phone not working as a phone- HELP!

Last Updated:

1. cmotion

cmotion Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

So I don't know what I did to my phone, but I can currently only use it for internet things on WIFI. I'd been using xtrROM 4.6 and was thrilled with its performance. I had been reading on xda about Tenzo's new rom (beta3 version) and wanted to give that a shot. Made my nandroid and went about flashing the new rom.

Fast-forward to later in the day, I was about to head to work and wanted my xtr back. So I restore my nandroid and... Get a force close loop of widget locker on the first boot. Turn the phone off, then back on- same FC boot loop. Battery pull, same thing. Can't seem to restore the backup that had been working Perfectly a few hours before. Searched the forum and found someone with a similar problem with aHome fc looping at start-up and someone advised him or her to do the "Volume down + Send + Power" combination and Cleardata. Thinking back I could've just booted into recovery and cleared things, but I was heading to work and panicked.

Anyway, once I did that my phone automatically dialed the *228 number, option 1 for me to activate the phone again. It hasn't functioned as a phone since... I tried restoring other nandroids, updating the PRL, wiped data and dalvik and flashed a new rom from scratch... Nothing has worked. When I try to make a call it tells me they can't authenticate my number, or something like that, and if I continue to have issues to call #8899 I think it was, which I guess I will do tomorrow. Anyone had anything like this happen or have any suggestions for me before I actually have to talk to someone from Verizon??

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

My wife's phone did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Just out of the blue it quit working as a phone, same message you got (no one can call in to your phone either, it goes straight to voice mail).
    I broke down and followed directions ( :) ) and called #8899 and the nice lady at the other end of the phone did something magical and her phone started working again, it took maybe 10 minutes and never once were the dreaded words 'factory reset' mentioned. Apparently there is some setting that goes bonkers that causes this message, and they know just what to do to fix it.

cmotion likes this.
  3. cmotion

OK, thanks for the advice. One more question, was her phone rooted? I tried calling the #8899 number and the woman asked my phone number, the name on the account, I verified my Dad's address (I'm on a family plan) and she tried to send me something which didn't work. It "wouldn't take", I believe were her words. So then she told me I had to have my Dad call in with the password, then I would call back from another phone and apparently she'll reset some security thing. I'm just wondering if the first thing she tried didn't work because I'm rooted and have OTA things disabled. :confused:

4. cmotion

Update: My phone works again! I was getting worried when the first representative couldn't get it working with all of the trouble-shooting she had me do... was trying to think of what to say if they asked anything about rooting or "messing with my phone", but it never came up. Eventually transferred me to a tech expert (texpert?) and she fixed it in about 3 minutes. Phew! :D

5. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Yea! Glad it worked out for you.

6. Praetorian

Praetorian Well-Known Member

This happened to me once shortly after I first rooted and Verizon had me enter this very long authorization code to get it working again. Weird.