• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone number format

I'm new to the android world as I've owned an iPhone for the last 3 years. Anyone know if there is a way to change to an automatic phone number format? As with the Apple devices, phone numbers would populate based on US area codes with appropriate parenthesis's and dashes. Now, my GS2 treats every number like it's an international one. I"d like to see (555) 987-6543 when my caller ID displays a number or when I manually input it. Thanks

I think there's an app on the market that will adjust your phone numbers in your contacts but I have never used it so I'll need to do some searching for you. The way I did it, is I edited my contacts in gmail. its easier and faster to make the changes there. But as far as I know, there is no automated way to make that your default. You'll need to put the "()" in manually for each new contact.

Upvote 0
And to fix it in there, I found a great solution.
Fix Google Contacts Phone Numbers [splitbrain.org]
It fixes your numbers for you. If they are not consistent you may have to make some adjustments, but it is better changing half than all. Also, it brings the numbers into a form so that you can update them much more easily than in Google Contacts.
Then you confirm when ready.
It saved me hours.

Upvote 0
To add dashes to phone number format : Settings > Language and keyboard > Select Language > English (United States). If you want to have NO dashes, select English (United Kingdom) or English (Philippines).
I just made a registration on this forum to say that i LOVE YOU ... U R Ma MEN !!!

Thank you ... your advice + MoreLocale = the real solution !

Thank you again !

Best regards

Big Bud - Soulfood + youtube

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones