Phone number transfers

Last Updated:

1. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So apparently Verizon thinks that transfering customers numbers to their new phones is slowing down their stores. Not only are they currently charging $20 to do it in store right now, they will be removing it from almost all their stores in the next few months. So how are you to get your numbers from one phone to another if you dont have an Android phone or BlackBerry? They said you must use their backup software (free if you use verizon online) but if you guys remember, if you dont have a data plan, people all over were getting charged 1.99$ a month for data, which you were not supposed to. I was one of them. I had to call every month, for 7 months before I got a BB, to get that refunded.

Myself and all my friends that have Verizon have called 611 and filed complaints about this. I guess we are not alone as the rep told me I was like the 10th person today he had to file a complaint with.

Been with Verizon for before they were even Verizon, but if this does pan out, AT&T may be looking mighty good. I am not going to re-enter my wife's contacts since she doesnt have an Android or BB.

Please call and complain. Only way we can stop this.

I live in Southern Cali. So dont know if this applies for everyone but the rep made it sound like it was company wide.

Advertisement
  2. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

just another stick it to ya move by verizon...man I miss alltel.

3. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

Every feature phone that Verizon has sold is also able to connect to a PC via a data cable. I have been able to do that since the LG VX1 and that was certainly not a smartphone. There are also free tools that allow you to do this with your phone connected to a PC.

Most of these phones also support bluetooth, which allows you to import/export your contacts to your computer or even another phone (that is a horribly tedious exercise that I only recommend to the truly desperate.) When Assurion replaced my Dare with an EnV Touch, may Dare was recovered later, but I was unable to reactivate it and give them the EnV Touch back, so I used the blue tooth to transfer my contacts between the phones.

So, that is how people with no smartphone would transfer their contacts without going to the store. This screws over all of the folks who have phones older than 2 or 3 years or those without PCs and upgrading from old phones, but reps that really want your business will find a way to make it happen. 29 days ago, they did not charge to transfer your contacts. I bought my first smartphone and they put the contacts on there for me.

4. 00smurf

00smurf Well-Known Member

Backup assistant is now free for all to use, even without registration for a My Verizon account. The only charge would be a $1.99 for 1 MB of data to download the app. And then you're contacts will be backed up per the schedule you choose when setting up the app, unless you goto a smartphone and then you'll only have 60 days (I think) to access your contacts to export them to your smartphone.

00smurf

5. Shawn.Pink

Shawn.Pink Member

no VZW doesn't NORMALLY charge for a pbt, it is premium retailers that do it, and they charge what they want. I know , I work for a Premium Retailer, until friday, when my new job starts.

6. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

Wow, it sounds like I don't want to go to a Premium Retailer then. Congrats on the new job!

7. Shawn.Pink

Shawn.Pink Member

I wouldn't goto a corp store when I can get a droid for 19.99 online.

8. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

They did it for my friend (he's on my family plan) for free--Droid Eris to Droid (and then realized they didn't have to)

9. mallinj

mallinj Well-Known Member

I was once charged in a Verizon corporate store for a phonebook transfer. It was something like $20. Instead of making a stink in the store, I sent an email to customer service and it was promptly reversed. This was before the days that backup assistant was free to use. It was a Razr to Env3 xfer.

10. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

If it is NON SMART PHONE, Look into something called bitpim. Otherwise, most phones have bluetooth now, so just BT them over, quite simple actually.

11. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Well-Known Member

I just had to use Backup Assistant for my dad's phone (he is under me on a family share plan) and I was not charged for it. I have an account on My Verizon so the $1.99 is also waived. We have BA active on all our lines and have no charges levied to it. All services except Get It Now are blocked on our plan but we had to remove the block when we wanted to install it on the phone then put it back on after this was done. I can't imagine this costing much unless you switch between phones a lot, even then they didn't charge data for the download.