• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Phone only (like Blackberry) ??????

Ive been a Blackberry guy for 5 years.
I made the switch from Storm 2 to the DX.

I miss two things from my Blackberry.

1) PHONE ONLY.
I would switch my BB to "phone only" at night when I went to bed. So I wasnt awakened for any messages, but did if I received a phone call... Im a State Trooper and I get called out every so often so this worked great.

CANT FIND ANY APP OR SETTING TO MIMIC THIS FROM MY BB!!!!!!
There are a couple of apps out there to your sound profiles akin to what we had on our old BBs. However the best app I have found is called Quick Settings. At night I go into it, click on volume controls, and turn the notifications volume to zero. The phone and alarm clocks will still work.

2) BB messenger.
Wish I still had the "d" or "r" when I sent a message to someone to know if they got it or if they read the message.

????? any messenger like that and Id switch to it in a heart beat.
You would have to use an IM type of app to get that. The thing is that you would have to convince people to install it whereas BBM came on every BB. PingChat appears to come the closest to the features of BBM.

Upvote 0
Simple request............. It sounds like im screwed. :(
It's amazing how quickly newbies end up feeling defeated like this. I know you already found a solution but Android is highly extensible and customizable and odds are that there is a solution out there for most cases.

There are plenty of profiles and similar apps to choose from to implement something similar to profiles on the BB. I will say that profiles do fall a bit short on Android as it seems impossible to centralize management of all alerts (sound, vibration, LED) as the BB did but most profiles apps on Android also add some functionality that the BB never had (bluetooth, WiFi, display, etc).

I gave up the landline about 5 years ago.
I just dont understand why anyone would still have a landline?

Far superior 911 support mostly, that and POTS is still the most efficient, reliable system out there.
Reliability is a big one. Landline phones don't require power from the end user to function (though some newer phones, particularly cordless ones, do require power) and tend to be more reliable during natural disasters. I've certainly run into situations where the cell networks were overloaded and unusable during hurricanes here while landlines functioned just fine. Even if the cell networks aren't impacted, restoration of service by the power company isn't always instant and you have to charge your devices at some point to keep them working.

The alarm system also requires a landline. I could opt for the wireless upgrade if I wanted to shell out quite a bit of money and deal with reliability issues.

Generally, I do rely on the cell though.

Upvote 0
Ive been a Blackberry guy for 5 years.
I made the switch from Storm 2 to the DX.

I miss two things from my Blackberry.

1) PHONE ONLY.
I would switch my BB to "phone only" at night when I went to bed. So I wasnt awakened for any messages, but did if I received a phone call... Im a State Trooper and I get called out every so often so this worked great.

You should check out Tasker to help with your phone only problem. It is very customizable when you want it to do certain things like turn off all notifications except for phone calls. You can set it up to run at a certain time of day or you can create a widget tied to a task that you can turn on and off when you need to. I use Tasker quite a bit and I got a friend of mine hooked on it now too. He was looking for a "phone only" mode a couple months back when he was working overnights every other week while still being on call. It is well worth the $ for the app as it allows you to do so much with it.

Tasker for Android

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones