Phone overheating= does not charge?Support

Last Updated:

1. jpr18

jpr18 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    I was using my DI as a GPS today, in a mount on the windshield, and had it plugged in the whole time. It was about 90 degrees outside and I had the AC blasting in my car as I drove along the highway.....I noticed after a while that the bolt in the battery display was missing, meaning it wasn't getting charged, and that at the same time the notification LED was alternating between orange and green.

I couldn't figure out why it wasn't charging anymore, but after I changed the vent in my car from forward to indirect (there is a vent that shoots air upward right below the mount, coincidentally) it cooled down and started charging again.

My phone was in the gloss silicone verizon case the whole time, and I was only using GPS.

Any help?
    Thanks

Advertisement
    sjblagg likes this.
  2. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

Wow I had the same thing happen to me just a few days ago.

Phone was running in the car on GPS and after 2 hours the device got really hot and started flashing orange/green.

I think it still showed that it was charging but the % never went up.

What battery are you using? I am on the Seidio 1750.

3. gbenj

gbenj Well-Known Member

dont think the battery precludes or predisposes you to have this issue. I noticed it with the stock battery a few weeks ago. Was also using the phone as GPS, in sunlight, but streaming pandora audio via bluetooth to car audio.

The phone worked flawlessly for the record, pausing music and chiming in with gps info when neccesary, but it did get very hot and wouldnt charge with LED flashing.

I did the same thing, moved it to a spot in front of an AC vent and after a few min it cooled down and started to charge again. Think its just an overheating issue we need to be aware of in certain situations.

4. jpr18

jpr18 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

yup, stock battery. Next time I use it I'll remove it from the case, maybe that will help heat dissipation.

5. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me today. I had it plugged in to the car, GPS was running, and it overheated. I'm running Battery Indicator and it SAID it was overheating. I believe it was around 110 degrees fahrenheit.

I'm NOT using a case, but I am using the Seido 1750 battery

6. dgold82

dgold82 Well-Known Member

This happened to me just yesterday and my phone wasn't even in direct sunlight (it was in my cupholder). I do have a case and the stock battery.

Another interesting thing was that even though I was using a car charger the battery was still draining very slowly. It went down about 3% after about an hour driving with GPS on. Never thought that would happen...

7. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

As for overheating, I just point my middle A/C vent up towards the phone and that keeps it in check.

8. sjblagg

sjblagg Member

Just had this situation in our van... Phone in the DI mount with no cover (won't fit with the cover). I was searching for what the LED pattern meant. I had a feeling it was overheating, because... it was hot. This forum is the bomb.

Just GPS running, btw

9. Hand76

Hand76 Guest

Yep thats all it takes on a warm day in the car.