• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mods Phone performs worse lowering cache pressure and swappiness, sysctl gurus [Root only]

MustangLife

Jan 5, 2015
So basically for the last month I've been devoted to modifying Sysctl with different variables. And when my phone performs best is with basically no mods to vm tweaks except dirty ratio at 90% and dirty background near stock at 55% I have to keep cache pressure at 100% stock and swappiness at 50-60%. I do however have all fs tweaks somewhat aggressive and kernel tweaks to the kernel part of sysctl also. And my phone is lightning. But doing an extensive amount of research dating from current to a few years ago show to perform best. Cache pressure and swappiness need to be lowered alot and the phone will perform better. Some say swappiness at 0 and cache pressure at 10-30% but my phone lags like hell when change those two and just those two. And its like an immediate noticeable difference when i set it back to stock 100% cache pressure and 60% swappiness. My device is a ZTE Boost Max dual core with 1gb ram and 400 mhz GPU. So is the reason because the other parts of sysctl aren't playing well with the vm part of sysctl where stock is best or is it do to I having 1GB of ram on kitkat. Also I don't know why it is. But Google Chrome or Chrome Beta runs like poor hell if I have cache pressure low. I do know what all the different sysctl tweaks do but I just dont understand what seems to work well with others isn't working well with me. But If I can get more performance out of my phone obviously its desired.

Thanks
Josh

Hey there Mustang!
I thought you would get more input in the "Rooted Devices" forum than the Android Questions forum, so I moved your thread here.

I've seen and read a little bit of what you posted there, (being rooted myself) and it just made my mind explode :D
I wish I could have more input, but this is the best I can do; move your thread. :)

Any questions just hit me up:)

Hope that helps!!

Upvote 0
Hey there Mustang!
I thought you would get more input in the "Rooted Devices" forum than the Android Questions forum, so I moved your thread here.

I've seen and read a little bit of what you posted there, (being rooted myself) and it just made my mind explode :D
I wish I could have more input, but this is the best I can do; move your thread. :)

Any questions just hit me up:)

Hope that helps!!

Thanks. I figured there would be more input from users who know about sysctl settings and how much they can make your phone perform good or bad.

My gf has a dual core galaxy s3 which my phone has but hers is the 2gb ram version. When i looked at her stock sysctl configuration i was amazed how much different her stock settings were compared to mine and we're both on kitkat. Her dirty ratio and dirty background ratio stock are really really low in numbers compared to mine which made me wonder alot. Theres definately alot that can be done with sysctl. And it seems phone makers like samsung vs zte or others have many differences in opinions on what sysctl settings one should use.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9h0s7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones