• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

phone/plan usage

sniper8752

Jun 30, 2010
so i have at&t, and had some questions about my cell phone/plan usage. so if i am in a wi-fi area, and connect to the internet, will it charge me on my data plan? i had other q's, but forget them for the moment... :(
oh... is the marketplace considered usage on the data plan? i guess for downloading the apps... that counts towards it as well? if so, my 200 mb will go quickly i think!
and how do i view how many texts/mb i have used already of my plan?
and does it count against me to receive texts?

My experience with the Aria (and it may be covered in the manual) is that if Wifi is available, it will not use the data portion of your plan. It is automatically configured to use the faster connection (and wifi is almost always faster than 3G). So if you stay in wifi coverage areas, your data plan usage will be almost zero (depending on how you have your gmail and other apps configured).

Upvote 0
- no charges when connected via wi-fi for data
- can manually toggle mobile data on/off when away from wi-fi
- dial "*DATA#" to receive a free txt indicating data usage for each billing cycle (detailed usage info. available at att wireless website)
- txts billing is dependent on app used (e.g.- txt via google voice uses data, not traditional txt where you will incur std. txting charges)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones