Phone putting me in the wrong locationSupport

Last Updated:

1. barry769

barry769 New Member

My Evo is giving me the wrong location. It thinks that I am located in Burbank, California when in reality, I am in Warren, MI.

When I restart the phone, it comes up with the correct location and then within a few seconds it switches back to Burbank.

I have wireless, GPS & location services running. When I bring up google maps, it locates me correctly, but the time and weather apps still put me in the wrong location.

I have no idea at all what could be causing this. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

some have reported that opening weather and turning off the sync and gps auto update functions and then turning them back on fixes this
    EarlyMon likes this.
  3. barry769

barry769 New Member

Thanks, that seems to have fixed it. Hopefully it stays this way.
  4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Welcome to the forums!
  5. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

Just started having this problem as well, will have to try this.
  6. bltserv

bltserv Well-Known Member

My phone has been doing this trick since the update a couple weeks ago.
    I am in OC Cali. And it likes Tallin Estonia and yesterday it liked Luanda Angola. Gets about 10 Hours out of Sync. I had Sprint do a Network Reset with Battery out. Within a couple days its lost itself again.

Seems to like to do it when its inside rather than outdoors. I really am pissed about the junk update sprint shoved on us.
    Somebody screwed the pooch with the update and now we all get to enjoy the results. Nothing like being lost in time and space with your Evo4G.

Time to root if this is not fixed soon.
  7. EarlyMon

The indoors vs. outdoors thing suggests that the tower list might be corrupted, maybe a few other things.

homescreen -> Menu -> Settings -> System updates -> ... update both profile and PRL

Many of us do that for any major update - no guarantees, but it's been known to cure a lot of ills.
    4tunesmiles and bltserv like this.
  8. bltserv

Just did both as you suggested. My PRL went from 60672 to 60674.
    Hope this helps. I have enough issues being on time without my phone
    being even worse at keeping time. Will report back in a few days.

Thanks
  9. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

Every once in a while my phone locates me off the coast of Africa when I'm in Florida. I haven't been able to figure out what causes it yet...
  10. SamuraiBigEd

Did the updates last night and I am currently in Noumea, the capital of New Caledonia! It wouldn't be that bad, I never use the weather widget, but the time difference is a big problem.

This may be the last straw, looks like I'm going to have to root.
  11. EarlyMon

I don't have time to check - but is that the same place in the eastern hemisphere? Some have found that that's the problem - a bit error.

If you've tried the How to fix Froyo stuff, trashing and re-putting the widget on the desktop, I don't have anything else for you on this.
    SamuraiBigEd likes this.
  12. SamuraiBigEd

Not sure, but it would make sense.

Thanks.

On Edit: It is off the Australian coast almost directly east of Rockhampton, a little under 1500km away. So no, definitely not directly opposite my location.
  13. bltserv

Well udating the PRL didn`t fix the location issue. Sitting at my desk with 2 x 4G bars. 13 foot acurracy acording to my GPS test. I Have 8 Sats.
    And the daffy EVO says I am in Tallin Estonia and its a balmy 16 degrees.

If I switch off "Auto Detection of location" and then back on. It finds itself again. A few seconds and it has me back in Estonia again. I deleted everything in the weather history. No help.

Sprint. You guys really screwed up what I thought was a great smartphone with that last update. WTF.
  14. SamuraiBigEd

At least I am on a beautiful island in the Coral Sea!
  15. bltserv

I got to see my screen get iced up with snowflakes.
  16. 4tunesmiles

4tunesmiles Member

My EVO frequently tells me I'm in J