• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone putting me in the wrong location

barry769

Lurker
Dec 1, 2010
My Evo is giving me the wrong location. It thinks that I am located in Burbank, California when in reality, I am in Warren, MI.

When I restart the phone, it comes up with the correct location and then within a few seconds it switches back to Burbank.

I have wireless, GPS & location services running. When I bring up google maps, it locates me correctly, but the time and weather apps still put me in the wrong location.

I have no idea at all what could be causing this. Any ideas?

My phone has been doing this trick since the update a couple weeks ago.
I am in OC Cali. And it likes Tallin Estonia and yesterday it liked Luanda Angola. Gets about 10 Hours out of Sync. I had Sprint do a Network Reset with Battery out. Within a couple days its lost itself again.

Seems to like to do it when its inside rather than outdoors. I really am pissed about the junk update sprint shoved on us.
Somebody screwed the pooch with the update and now we all get to enjoy the results. Nothing like being lost in time and space with your Evo4G.

Time to root if this is not fixed soon.

Upvote 0
The indoors vs. outdoors thing suggests that the tower list might be corrupted, maybe a few other things.

homescreen -> Menu -> Settings -> System updates -> ... update both profile and PRL

Many of us do that for any major update - no guarantees, but it's been known to cure a lot of ills.

Just did both as you suggested. My PRL went from 60672 to 60674.
Hope this helps. I have enough issues being on time without my phone
being even worse at keeping time. Will report back in a few days.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I don't have time to check - but is that the same place in the eastern hemisphere? Some have found that that's the problem - a bit error.

If you've tried the How to fix Froyo stuff, trashing and re-putting the widget on the desktop, I don't have anything else for you on this.

Not sure, but it would make sense.

Thanks.

On Edit: It is off the Australian coast almost directly east of Rockhampton, a little under 1500km away. So no, definitely not directly opposite my location.

Upvote 0
Well udating the PRL didn`t fix the location issue. Sitting at my desk with 2 x 4G bars. 13 foot acurracy acording to my GPS test. I Have 8 Sats.
And the daffy EVO says I am in Tallin Estonia and its a balmy 16 degrees.

If I switch off "Auto Detection of location" and then back on. It finds itself again. A few seconds and it has me back in Estonia again. I deleted everything in the weather history. No help.

Sprint. You guys really screwed up what I thought was a great smartphone with that last update. WTF.

Upvote 0
Well udating the PRL didn`t fix the location issue. Sitting at my desk with 2 x 4G bars. 13 foot acurracy acording to my GPS test. I Have 8 Sats.
And the daffy EVO says I am in Tallin Estonia and its a balmy 16 degrees.

If I switch off "Auto Detection of location" and then back on. It finds itself again. A few seconds and it has me back in Estonia again. I deleted everything in the weather history. No help.

Sprint. You guys really screwed up what I thought was a great smartphone with that last update. WTF.

At least I am on a beautiful island in the Coral Sea!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones