Phone quickly dies when plugged in ComputerSupport

Last Updated:

1. First off, I should let you know that it was in the charging loop, where when plugged in even with the battery out, it would boot to the phone off battery charging screen. I got it to boot to Android Gingerbread 2.3.6, (standard Boost version), but would not recognise charging with plugged into the wall. So I tried plugging it into my computer, and the phone says it is charging, but instead of the battery increasing, it decreases! Also, the computer no longer recognises my phone! I am at a loss, and I really cannot afford another one. What makes this worse is in the excitement of owning my first smartphone, I forgot to register it within 30 days, and now it is out of warrantee. Is there a way to fix this even if the computer does not recognise the phone? when plugged into the computer it does not die, but will stop decreasing charge at 1%. Thanx in advance guys.

Advertisement
  2. mydian

mydian Well-Known Member

This sounds like a charging connector problem. Very carefully try cleaning it.
  3. xaelith

xaelith Well-Known Member

What mydian said. But are you sure you're out of the warranty period? Regardless of registration, Samsung is required by law to uphold the warranty (which is good for one year after the date of purchase; they may ask for a copy of the purchase receipt, phone's MEID or something like that as proof of purchase date).

EDIT: If you know the warranty has for sure expired, and cleaning doesn't work, your only other options are to:
    • disassemble the phone yourself, and attempt to repair the charge port connector (click here for a guide on disassembly), or
    • try sites like ebay, amazon, craigslist or your local want-ads to see if you can get a decent price on another TU. I've seen used, working Ultras go for about $50 on the first site.