• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone randomly disconnecting from usb port while plugged in.

Raekwon

Jul 31, 2010
US
I got my Evo today, finally. :) I noticed when I plug in the usb cord to my computer, no matter what I set it at (charge only, mount hard drive, etc....) the computer makes the noise like i've unplugged something from the usb even though everythings still plugged in. once it does that the phone is no longer charging and I cant see the hard drive anymore until I unplug and replug it back in. then it does it again within a minute or two. Anyone seen this happening to theirs?

I wish it was a defective cable, but this is happening to me also, I have 3 usbs, 2 at home and 1 at work and they're all doing it now after the froyo update. sometimes I will have it pluged in and it will show it's charging, it will be on a flat service and all of a sudden I will notice a light on my phone, I look at it and it's the phone asking how do I want to connect. I used a co-worker usb cable b/c she said she never has that problem, once I plug it in, it did the same thing again. once I select charge or connect to the sd card, a couple seconds or minute later it will ask me again

Upvote 0
I wish it was a defective cable, but this is happening to me also, I have 3 usbs, 2 at home and 1 at work and they're all doing it now after the froyo update. sometimes I will have it pluged in and it will show it's charging, it will be on a flat service and all of a sudden I will notice a light on my phone, I look at it and it's the phone asking how do I want to connect. I used a co-worker usb cable b/c she said she never has that problem, once I plug it in, it did the same thing again. once I select charge or connect to the sd card, a couple seconds or minute later it will ask me again

Also happens to me when I tether my phone. Happened to me at least 10th times last night.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a bad charging port, although I have seen the two "outer pins" on the phone cable lose their ability to keep the cord tight in the jack. Doesn't sound like your problem, since you'e tried multiple cables though.

As a workaround, what if you set your default action to be "charge"? At least when it senses a reconnect, it will start charging again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones