Phone randomly goes dimGeneral

1. Syv3n

Syv3n Well-Known Member

My phone randomly goes dim in the middle of using it. I can unlock it and start to text message and it is bright like it should be and just randomly goes dim and stays like that in the middle of the text messaging. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Ataranine

Ataranine Well-Known Member

Is your Disable Auto Backlight option checked?
  3. RC Addict

RC Addict Well-Known Member

Yep, thats auto-dim for you.
  4. willywayne

willywayne Member

This has happened to me a few times and my auto backlight is disabled with my brightness set at 25%. I had to power down the phone to get it to return to normal the first time it happened. All of the other times just putting it to sleep fixed it.
  5. ericDylan

ericDylan Well-Known Member

i have just had this happen to me today. but it went back to normal when i put it to sleep and woke it up but it is kinda wierd... hope the problem doesnt continue!
  6. Crimson770

Crimson770 New Member

I've had this issue as well, its nothing phone breaking but it is an annoyance at times, but hey nothings perfect I guess, just gotta press put it to sleep quick to bring the brightness back up.
  7. Ruben

Ruben Well-Known Member

The light will dim when it is "thinking." For example, landscape to portrait, it will dim. Also, as everyone said, the auto backlight thing, but I love that feature.
  8. igot3ballz

igot3ballz New Member

There is a light sensor built-in right by the Verizon logo at the top of the phone. That is what is causing your random dimming. Try and put your finger above the sensor, then get direct light on it, then place your finger above it... you get the picture.
  9. willywayne

willywayne Member

It's not the light sensor. When it happens the only way to make it stop is to put the phone to sleep. It started right after the update. I just hope the update to 2.0 or 2.1 fixes this and a few other glitches. But the screen issue really isn't a big deal for me.
  10. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

Yep, seems like a common problem. I've never had to power down and turn it back on. Just putting it to sleep and waking it up has worked for me.
  11. rick12

rick12 Active Member

I just got my Eris yesterday and was planning on taking it back to the Verizon store because of the dimming. The auto light sensor was the problem. I held the phone up in front of a light and slid my thumb over the top left corner, and the light dimmed. Removed my thumb and it got brighter. You can barely see the sensor. Thanks for pointing that out!