• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone Randomly Shuts Down and Battery Level Gone Crazy

This is a forum for HTC SEnsations, not Samsung phones. Different manufacturer who does not use the HTC Sense skin for Android. Therefore not likely to be the same problem.

While I realize this, it's still the only thing I've found which describes the same problem I'm having, and I'm going to say it's likely to be the same problem. Or at least that's what I'm going to believe, since this thread is my only resource.

Upvote 0
Hi This thing has been happening to me for the last 2 days. When I go to school I put my phone in, (On), and when I take it out my pocket to turn it off for leston; its already off. Also I tried calling someone the other day and 1 minute into the call it dropped out and turned off. I tried it again and the same thing happened. One more thing when I am turning it back on sometimes a red light comes one in the top left hand corner of the screen. I have so much on my phone and don't wish to do a factory reset. But if I have to I will move what I can onto my SD Card. There is one more thing; whilst sat on a desk and using it is suddenly fine. It is a real problem though, so should I check out the battery and try to get a new battery?

Upvote 0
Hi This thing has been happening to me for the last 2 days. When I go to school I put my phone in, (On), and when I take it out my pocket to turn it off for leston; its already off. Also I tried calling someone the other day and 1 minute into the call it dropped out and turned off. I tried it again and the same thing happened. One more thing when I am turning it back on sometimes a red light comes one in the top left hand corner of the screen. I have so much on my phone and don't wish to do a factory reset. But if I have to I will move what I can onto my SD Card. There is one more thing; whilst sat on a desk and using it is suddenly fine. It is a real problem though, so should I check out the battery and try to get a new battery?
I had the same problem. The phone will switch off randomly, sometimes when battery is low and many times when fully charged. Mostly it happened during a call, but many times I would just find it switched off after left in my pocket. Reseting the phone did not make any difference. Finally bought a new battery from Ebay and that did the trick. Happy days for me. Hope this will help you. Cheers!

Upvote 0
This problem is well documented on other threads. It is probably the fact that the battery is not making good contact, because of miniscule differences in sizes caused by manufacturing tolerances. The new battery is probably very slightly larger than the old one and therefore makes better contact. Try putting a piece of card between the bottom of the existing battery and the case to force it closer to the contacts and you will probably get the same result.

And cleaning the contacts on both battery and phone will help as well.

Upvote 0
Everything described above is affecting my HTC phone. I cleared all apps and factory reset a month ago and it worked fine. Now again the same problem has started. can someone help? I can not start the phone to do anything else. Not sure if the phone is even charging. At the last repair a month ago I was told the battery is fine and the charger is fine. What is wrong?

Upvote 0
hi i have lenovo a806 recently i brought that . its about 2week before . i have seen a problem on mobile that i charge battery level 100% without doing anything after ten hours i see the level gone empty 10% . no apps were running . phone is not short i check it. second day i charge battery full and remove battery from mobile but after ten hours i see battery level 100%. i also reset the mobile but didn't get solution. its take long times for full charge battery. will u pls give me suggestion for this problem.

Upvote 0
hi i have lenovo a806 recently i brought that . its about 2week before . i have seen a problem on mobile that i charge battery level 100% without doing anything after ten hours i see the level gone empty 10% . no apps were running . phone is not short i check it. second day i charge battery full and remove battery from mobile but after ten hours i see battery level 100%. i also reset the mobile but didn't get solution. its take long times for full charge battery. will u pls give me suggestion for this problem.
You have posted this in a dedicated forum for the HTC Sensation phone. I suggest you will need to repost it in the correct forum for your phone in order to get any help

Upvote 0
After a month of working fine, and roughly a week after upgrading to 2.3.4, my phone suddenly have these problems:
- I would frequently find my phone shut down/ turned off whenever I pull it out from my pocket (when turning back on, it will display the usual startup screen with HTC logo)
- Battery indicator would jump from (for example) 80% to suddenly 15%, and after reboot, goes back to around 80%
- Whenever battery level goes down suddenly, the built-in "Battery Use" graph would not reflect it. I found that it does show the new level after doing a refresh, and it shows on the graph the battery suddenly dropping to the low level at the same point in time.
- Sometimes the phone would suddenly shut down while I'm playing games.
- I noticed that the problem does not happen if the phone is just sitting on the desk.

Is it overheating problem with the phone components or the battery itself or both? I want to know also if it is a problem with the battery itself (which is easy to solve) or the part on the phone that interacts with the battery.
I want to know if it is a permanent damage done on the phone- because it was not behaving that way before, with the same conditions of use- or just the battery gone bad.

Has anyone experienced the same? What did you do to fix it?

I had a similar problem with my G'Five G9 phone (Android JellyBean 4.2.1). It used to shut down at random times during the day, especially after having received a jerk in my pocket. Someone told me that it's probably because the battery isn't fit enough inside the battery compartment. So I placed a small piece of paper next to the battery inside the compartment to make sure that the battery never loses contact with the metal contacts. And so far, I haven't faced the problem again.

Upvote 0
The actual capacity of a battery decreases as the battery ages through an irreversible fading process. This capacity loss occurs both with active use, correlated with charging cycles, and with inactivity through self-discharge. The device may even come with substandard batteries. However, the amount of loss is linear with time and accelerates with increasing temperature. Smartphones do not typically employ sophisticated techniques for estimating the usable capacity with the basic solution basing on simple charge cycle estimation and then using an offline calibrated lookup table to find the state of charge or battery level given the charge cycle.

Battery level or State of Charge (SOC) estimation in modern smartphones cannot capture the usable capacity of the battery run time, and thus have unreliable SOC estimation. This inaccuracy manifests as sudden jumps in the battery level, and can result in unexpected shutdown of the device.

Therefore, there are two issues; (1) The battery capacity is reduced, and (ii) The device is unable to estimate the capacity loss. The detail about this can be found in the following paper.

Page on acm.org Sudden Drop in the Battery Level? Understanding Smartphone State of Charge Anomaly.

Br
Mohammad Hoque

After a month of working fine, and roughly a week after upgrading to 2.3.4, my phone suddenly have these problems:
- I would frequently find my phone shut down/ turned off whenever I pull it out from my pocket (when turning back on, it will display the usual startup screen with HTC logo)
- Battery indicator would jump from (for example) 80% to suddenly 15%, and after reboot, goes back to around 80%
- Whenever battery level goes down suddenly, the built-in "Battery Use" graph would not reflect it. I found that it does show the new level after doing a refresh, and it shows on the graph the battery suddenly dropping to the low level at the same point in time.
- I noticed that the problem does not happen if the phone is just sitting on the desk.

Is it overheating problem with the phone components or the battery itself or both? I want to know also if it is a problem with the battery itself (which is easy to solve) or the part on the phone that interacts with the battery.
I want to know if it is a permanent damage done on the phone- because it was not behaving that way before, with the same conditions of use- or just the battery gone bad.

Upvote 0
OTE="yujinn, post: 3251199, member: 693286"]After a month of working fine, and roughly a week after upgrading to 2.3.4, my phone suddenly have these problems:

Has anyone experienced the same? What did you do to fix it?[/QUOTE]
I've experienced this one micromax a092 the phone automatically shuts down when the battery is less than 60% (turns off only when I'm using) of kept silent it jumps from 60 to 20 and in a matter of minutes it turns off, I've tried changing my battery with friend's and found out that the actual problem was with my battery after changing battery it worked f

Ine

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones