Phone rattling near CameraSupport

Last Updated:

1. Mjcanton

Mjcanton Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just noticed it today, and I figure it must be the camera lens or something, but I want to know if it is normal. Nothing happens when i shake my phone, but when I tap it on the backside on the flash or under/on the camera lense it makes a noise as if something is loose in the phone. I first noticed it when I set the phone down and I am curious if anyone else has the same thing going on or knows as to why it would be doing this. I'm sure it is nothing major :eek:

Advertisement
  2. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

Mine has a rattle as well, but it's definately the speaker phone ( Which is right next to the camera, and expected as it's designed to move in and out a little being a speaker. )

Try this, put your ear close, to the speaker and tap on the far side of the camera. Then repeat with your ear over the camera itself. It should be a little quieter.

3. Mjcanton

That could be it

4. cdodge

cdodge Well-Known Member

mine rattles to. i never realized this has a baby rattle feature built in to. another thing Droid doesnt do!

the rattle doesnt bother me as the phone still works.

5. Air Force One

Air Force One Well-Known Member

If it's like the Nexus One, it's the autofocus camera. Leave it alone and quit listening for it to rattle. :D

It has to have play/free floating in it for it to autofocus correctly. Be glad you hear that rattle: it's the sound of a premium camera. If you don't believe me, search for rattling on any nexus board.:)

jamor likes this.
  6. Mjcanton

Okay even better - That's what i thought it was :)

7. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

Check the little piece of shiny plastic near the 3.5 mm jack. That's where my rattle is comming from.

8. j-money

j-money Well-Known Member

Good news, i heard this and was getting worried lol

9. elrabin

elrabin Well-Known Member

It may or may not be what you're referring to, but i hear a very distinct and surprisingly loud "CLICK" from the camera sometimes when entering or exiting the camera app.

I assume its either a shutter clicking open or the lens "unlocking" or "locking" from free floating to a fixed state or vice versa.

10. Wynnded

Wynnded Well-Known Member

I don't think that the camera has a mechanical shutter, isn't it a CCD? What about it being the "vibe" mechanism

11. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

It's the camera. You will hear this when you first turn on your phone, and when using your camera. The sound itself is caused by the lense moving back about .3mm and touching the back of its housing, it then moves forward as it focuses. When taking a picture you may here this 1-3 times as the camera attempts to focus.

12. Wynnded

Wynnded Well-Known Member

Ahhh! I hear it now. I had to turn off the shutter sound and really listen to hear it.

13. thenoseknows

thenoseknows Well-Known Member

Mine has this as well. At first I thought that it was just the power button moving around and causing the rattle, but I am beginning to believe that it is coming from the headphone jack. It sounds like it is a mechanical type rattle.

14. AlexNC

AlexNC Well-Known Member

Good to hear, I was worried about this. I thought I had a bad camera or something.

15. Zomb!e

Zomb!e Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because I have a case protecting my phone, but I don't hear any rattle. Glad to hear it's nothing major though.

16. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member

Glad I searched before posting! I heard the rattle when I placed my phone down a little harder than normal.

17. Air Force One

Yup, that's the sound and the Nexus does it too if you set it down a little harder than usual..

Completely normal :)

curtisdr likes this.
  18. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Now if I can just get the call quality fixed, it may be a keeper.

Air Force One likes this.
  19. Air Force One

I can't help you there the Nexus is the best phone I've ever owned for sound quality, both incoming and outgoing.

20. booser4

booser4 Well-Known Member

Yeah same for me, noticed it the first day, and was gonna post about it. Good to know its normal.

21. Eric S

Eric S Member

I have a rattle as well and realized it's the earphone jack - specifically, the fourth (ground) prong. This is on a Droid 2 by the way. If you want to know if THIS is your problem, plug in earphones and try to make it rattle again. If it doesn't rattle when they are plugged in, then that's your issue. Now the question is if this is ok. My earphones work, but I don't want this to eventually break...