Phone rebooting multiple times a daySupport

Last Updated:

1. Brandito

Brandito Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My phone has been randomly rebooting 5+ times a day. Seemingly happens out of nowhere, even went as far as to uninstall any apps I've added since it started to no avail.

Sometimes it happens sliding to a different home screen, a lot of the time it seems to happen when loading a new sms message. none of my conversations are very large btw.

i guess i could take it to sprint so they can wipe it again and claim it's working now.

add to this the keyboard lag, 30 seconds needed to make a call, and all other sluggishness this phone has compared to similar android phones and i'm not impressed. don't get my wrong love the operating system, hate the hardware.

worst thing is i started getting phenomenal battery life and then this started happening. i was getting 24-36 hours on a charge, that's 2-3 times as long as it has EVER survived prior. now this starts happening.

any ideas? sorry for the rant, i'm just mad i'm stuck with a phone i hate for another 11 months.

Advertisement
  2. Whiskeypawz

Whiskeypawz Well-Known Member

By "rebooting" do you mean the white HTC screen comes on & you have to wait for everything to load up before you can do anything?
    If so, mine has been doing the same thing for a while.
    I wish I had an answer for you but I don't. :( It might help to know you're not the only one it's happening to. I haven't taken it to Sprint for exactly the reason you mentioned...."i guess i could take it to sprint so they can wipe it again and claim it's working now."

3. Brandito

yes that's exactly what it's doing.

they claim that they "have" to reset the phone in order to declare it's defective or not. it does make sense but i'm getting sick of starting fresh all the time.

last time i went in there they at least acknowledged the fact i was a "savvy" user and knew what i was talking about. didn't stop them from insisting i let them reset my phone to factory settings. i allowed them thinking it might help me get an evo, but instead i just got my phone back in worse shape than before i handed it over.

tried complaining to support using their chat service too, that went nowhere, going to try calling next, maybe if i call in enough i'll make some progress.

4. Whiskeypawz

Sprint & HTC's standard answer for every Hero-related problem is "Do a hard reset". NO!!! How many hard resets do we have to do before they figure out this phone is a p.o.s, especially after the 2.1 update?!
    I've just accepted that my phone is never going to function properly & all I can do is roll with the punches! :)

5. Brandito

that's exactly what i said to them last time, i shouldn't have to hard reset my phone once a month to make it work.

6. Whiskeypawz

7. astrobill

astrobill Well-Known Member

Hi Guys:

I was having all these problems with my Hero as well...BIG TIME! Especially the reboot of Sense every five seconds.

I didn't want to "root" the phone, so I decided to do a factory reset of the phone. I then carefully reinstalled about half of the apps I had before, checking internal memory one by one. When I free Internal Memory got down to about 70MB or so (after cache cleaning), I stopped.

So far, so good. The phone is LOT snappier now. It's only been about a week, so I'm still wary, but we'll see.

Note that I'm assuming it was a memory-related issue, as discussed in MANY threads on this forum. Too many apps means you have too little "free" internal memory, so the terrible Android memory management program is working overtime to keep the phone working well.

However, there are a few apps rumored to be particularly problematic at slowing down the phone (regardless of free memory) which I chose not to reinstall. I haven't personally tested these, so this is just hearsay, but anyway, here they are:

- One of them is ShopSavvy, the bar-code scanner and shopping app.

- Another is the crappy Yahoo! mail app, which is terrible for any number of reasons.

- A third is Google Voice, rumored to be a major hog.

- Finally, I suspect Yelp's app to be a resource hog, but haven't verified this personally.

If you don't need these, try leaving them off and see if it helps. Also, please read the "Consolidated Lag Fighting Thread" we tried to start.

8. Brandito

i have none of those apps and no new apps since before this all started.

9. astrobill

astrobill Well-Known Member

Okay...so do the factory reset process and slowly reinstall apps, starting with the most important. Don't let your free internal memory get too low (you can check in the Settings...SD Card & Storage, etc.)

10. Brandito

i already have fewer apps now than i have ever had before.

besides we shouldn't have to do stuff like this with our phones.

htc/sprint need to acknowledge there's a problem.

11. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

Have fun trying to make them do that, we have been complaining here too them for months and it goes on deaf ears, companies don't give a damn because they know they will still sell there phones as people have short memories especially when they like a style of phone, they still buy

12. androidtp

androidtp Well-Known Member

+1

+1