Phone reboots itself during a call???General

Last Updated:

1. giraffe999

giraffe999 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am on call this weekend - was talking to a patient when all of a sudden the call cuts off. (no land line, so i have to use my eris on call) -- I push the trackball to light up the screen and nothing happens. Then a few seconds later the bootup screen starts (where it says 'HTC - quietly brilliant). The phone was fully charged...anybody ever have this happen to them? I rely on this phone to reach patients and other doctors...am not happy about this.

Advertisement
  2. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

My old Eris did that in 1.5, but had the "silent call" bug in 2.1 instead. My replacement phone occasionally does it when I'm overclocking it, but hasn't ever done it during a call.

Some other phones (Incredible, G1, MT3G) have the random reboot problem as well.

If you've already tried a factory reset and it still does it occasionally, I would suggest having it replaced.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

We're sure seeing a lot of that around Android forums, not just the Eris.

Remedies are dependent on various factors, such as what version of 2.1 you are running (the OTA or a leak), whether or not your device is rooted and overclocked, the condition of the battery at the time of the rebooting, whether or not it's on the charger at that time, whether or not the device is loaded up with apps and/or what apps you have in there that could be causing the problem (we've seen task killers as the culprit), etc.

My first reaction to that problem, and many others if I had them, would be to do a factory data reset following a backup regimen via Google contacts and calendar, etc.

I'd go from there.. but if that has already been done, we'd need to know more about the phone and the circumstances; there are many things to try before returning the device to Verizon for a replacement or repair (which is the first thing many think of and have success doing that).

4. giraffe999

giraffe999 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the replies. Never had the silent call bug....although I don't get/make too many phone calls. Running 2.1 OTA. I guess if it happens again, will try the factory reset, and if it keeps happening, will call Verizon. Pretty weird though--- so far, other than lots of lagginess and 100% wake time bug (now fixed with handcent) my phone's been pretty trouble free. Ah well....

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

In my opinion you should consider doing the reset right away if you did not do it as a final step in the OTA installation (I'm assuming you did not purchase the device with the 2.1 already installed).

Please read here for thoughts and experiences on the reset:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/80233-factory-data-reset-option.html