Phone Restarts AutomaticallySupport

Last Updated:

1. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My Desire has restarted itself a number of times automatically. Twice it restarted when I powered it up. It powered up and then restarted. Three times, it restarted while I was using the Navigation app. I wasn't actually using the turn by turn navigation. I started it and just started up the map. It worked for about a minute and then the phone restarted. The restart while the Navigation app was running happened twice today.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Do you recall what you were doing when it restarted?

Advertisement
  2. bigiain

bigiain New Member

Doesn't sound like normal behavior - I've had mine for 3 weeks now and its been rock solid - I can't recall a single re-start (I'm really impressed - this is my first android phone).

I've been using bluetooth, satnav (locations and google maps), wifi, exchange sync and I've installed at least 10 apps.

Have you installed any apps? - might be down to a duff app - otherwise could be hardware.

3. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

This sounds like the random reboot issue that the G2 had until they released the first update. If it is the same, then there isn't really much else you can do other than wait for the bug to be fixed. Another thing that can cause random reboots is a non OEM battery without a cover, shorting with the SD card holster. Could that be it?

4. Stuntman

I checked the battery. It looks like a standard battery and there does not appear to be a short anywhere. I took it out, checked the contacts and re-sat it back in.

I'm going to monitor it some more. I tried the Navigation app this morning and it did not cause a restart. I'm going to try it again this afternoon to see if I can find anything in common with these restarts.

5. meadway

meadway Member

You don't KNOW if it's the original battery? It sounds dud, the desire Z must still be in warranty, so . . .

John

6. Stuntman

After reseating the battery and cleaning the contacts a week ago, I haven't had any further instances of the phone restarting by itself. Perhaps some debris got in when I first got the phone and installed the battery and cleaning the contacts did the trick. All is well now.

7. Stuntman

I had two more instances of the phone restarting itself today. What happened was that I was in an underground parking lot. I plugged my phone into my car charger and started the Navigation app. I just wanted to see the map as I was driving. I did not use the turn by turn navigation to a destination.

Being underground it was not able to obtain a GPS fix. It was able to identify where in the city I was and it was the mall where I was. I left the underground parking and as I was driving, I noticed the GPS was taking a while to lock in on my location. Normally, it takes a couple of seconds. This time it took perhaps a minute. Then the phone rebooted. I then started the Navigation app again. Again it rebooted.

What I did then was unplugged my phone from my car charger and waited several minutes before starting the Navigation app. After that, the Navigation app functioned normally and my phone did not reboot.

8. pmatil

pmatil Member

My Z has restarted a few times on its own. I wasn't doing anything ie. the phone was idle and screen was off. I think the Launcher PRO crashed and caused a reboot but I have no way to debug that.