• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone running extremely slowly

lumisade

Apr 23, 2011
Hi, I've had my desire HD for 3 months now and its been great, however recently (last few days) my phone began running extremely slowly.

Whenever i try to do anything (check messages, make a call) the phone will just lag and bring up a loading screen, then it will bring up an error message telling me the process or application is not responding.

Im not sure how this happened as I havent actually installed any new apps for a good week, well before this problem came along.

About the only thing i did to the phone was add a few widgets to the home screen.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Thanks

It's to do with a process called /init in taking over 90% of the CPU, you'll probably notice battery life decrease pretty quickly too.

Either check for an update (HTC are in the process of rolling out 2.3.3 to unbranded handsets and some network branded handsets have it too) as it's sorted in later versions. Alternatively, if one isn't available, turn on USB Debugging.

Settings -> About Phone -> Software Updates -> Check now (to look for an update)

or Settings -> Applications -> Development -> Check USB Debugging (just Ok the message that comes up)

That should sort.

Reactions: lumisade
Upvote 0
It's to do with a process called /init in taking over 90% of the CPU, you'll probably notice battery life decrease pretty quickly too.

Either check for an update (HTC are in the process of rolling out 2.3.3 to unbranded handsets and some network branded handsets have it too) as it's sorted in later versions. Alternatively, if one isn't available, turn on USB Debugging.

Settings -> About Phone -> Software Updates -> Check now (to look for an update)

or Settings -> Applications -> Development -> Check USB Debugging (just Ok the message that comes up)

That should sort.

Thankyou, I have checked usb debugging and am in the process of checking for updates, however i've left it for the past 20 minutes and it is still in the process of checking. I wouldn't think it would usually take this long?

By the way, I am in Australia with the Vodafone network if that helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones